Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... I need some help/advice for a friend of mine...

He has NEVER ridden before, but he's been on a friends bike one time, around the block.

He wants to get a bike, and he's bent on getting the Suzuki GSXR-750 for his FIRST bike...

I told him that is WAY too much bike, and is for advanced riders. I mentioned that even the 600's are bad first bikes, and they say that for a reason.

He has some friends that ride, and they've told him that they wished they never bought 600's to learn on, and that they should have got liter bikes from the get-go. I said that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard, and he's just like, "Well, that's what they said, and they've been riding a long time"

I said, "Exactly!" They've been riding a long time, so its easy to say that now. On the contrary, almost ALL sportbike forums will tell you that even a 600 is a BAD choice for a first bike. A 750 gixxer?? C'mon...

I really want to make sure he makes the right choice and doesn't kill himself, and need some help/advice on what I can tell him that might convince him otherwise. I've tried a lot of things...

Get this, we went to the Honda/Suzuki dealership, and my friend told the salesman that he wanted the 750 for his first bike. The salesman, who will make MORE money on the 750, said the same thing, that he should start on the 600, IF he thinks he can even handle that...

I thought that since a guy who would profit on this suggested the cheaper bike, it would change his mind, but no...

And help would be appreciated... he needs some new friends...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Everytime he talks about the 750, punch him in the face and knock him out. Eventually he will get tired of getting hit in the face and listen. (that is assuming your bigger than him, if not, a wrench will def help).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Get him to take the MSF course, maybe if hes hell bent on getting that bike and wont be talked out of it, maybe get him some dirtbike experience... its fun and will definetly help with the basics if hes too "proud" maybe to get on small bike first... It really all depends on the person, i know kids that shouldnt be allowed on scooters, and i know people that i would feel confident with them jumping on my bike for a test drive, i think its all about rider maturity levels and driver abilty. But that MSF course will help him out, good luck!

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
tell him to join the all the sportbike forums and post what he wants as a beginner bike.
i will garuantee he wont like what they say.
also show him the crash/boom/bang forum here. let him read it all.
find all the gruesome crash pics and vids posted here and let him
have it all. there are tons of it. maybe it will make him realize.
other than that...the only way is the hard way...and that could cost
him his life.
goodluck to your buddy mang....he'll need it with a mindset like that.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
thats the stupidest fukin thing i have ever heard. "i rode around the block once, i can handle a 750." he'll fit right in with the gsxr squid croud. i dont know anyone who says that they would rather start on a liter than the 600 they started on. i call bs on your buddy.

tell him to stop being a fuktard. tell him you'll disown him as a friend, cause no friend is better than a dead friend.

i hate all these kids with no idea about bikes thinkin they know more than riders. hell, i made a quick jump to 600's, but at least i learned the basics before getting the rr, and it was still a beast to me at first, and still is most of the time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was my first bike... and I'm still scared shitless of it. I know that this is WAY more than any beginner needs, and something re-think the decision I've made.

I can't even imagine starting on the GSX-750 from the articles I've read on it...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
charles722 said:
I agree totally. Throttle control. My first bike was a RC51 then got a 1000rr. They are not too much bike. Just b/c the power is there it doesn't mean you have to use it. Now on the other hand... He has to respect the bike and understand what he has and the potential of the bike. As long as he takes it easy, he should be fine. If he gets a say, Katana or something like that, in 6 months he is going to want something with more power and better handling. I know I am going to stir up some stuff but I say go and get the 750 and take it slow. When you ride with him don't make him have to try and keep up with you. Just stay with him. Be a good friend and ride at his pace and don't make him feel rushed. Keep him next to you and stay off the highways for a little while till he gets comfortable with the bike. I think he will be fine.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
LDROWN said:
Just b/c the power is there it doesn't mean you have to use it. Now on the other hand... He has to respect the bike and understand what he has and the potential of the bike. As long as he takes it easy, he should be fine.

the key word there is understand. understanding the amount of power is quite a bit different than respecting it. we had a thread like this not too long ago that went basically nowhere though. and if hes ok with taking it easy, then why would he want a 750? cause hes probably wanting to go out and open her up a bit. and when he does coming out of a corner, and that front end comes up, ouch. tank slapper to high side to pavement.

my whole argument is that why even bother with the 750 when a 600 is more power than he can handle? just so when he can handle a 600 he doesnt have to go buy a new bike? thats dumb. most people cant handle a 600 let alone a 750. the only reason they go up is cause at their skill level a 750 or 1000 allows for more speed or whatever. i've seen plenty of liters get passed by a 600. hell, one of my friends has a liter, and he has no idea how to ride it, i pass him in the twisties all the time, and i've only had my 600rr for a few months.

its not the guy with the biggest wang that wins, its the guy that knows how to use his, ya know what i mean?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree with you completely! I say a 600 would be enough by far and yes I know 600's pass liter bikes all day. Hell I do on the track. But if he really likes the 750 and that is what he wants.... Well its not that much more power, but yes he does need to understand that he can't bang it coming out of a corner. Hence the "taking it easy" and learning to ride the bike safely before exploring the real potential of the bike. You should have him read these threads and maybe it will help him understand that he needs to take it very seriously and be careful. The speed and dragging knees in corners will come eventually. It just takes patients.

cbrdeju said:
the key word there is understand. understanding the amount of power is quite a bit different than respecting it. we had a thread like this not too long ago that went basically nowhere though. and if hes ok with taking it easy, then why would he want a 750? cause hes probably wanting to go out and open her up a bit. and when he does coming out of a corner, and that front end comes up, ouch. tank slapper to high side to pavement.

my whole argument is that why even bother with the 750 when a 600 is more power than he can handle? just so when he can handle a 600 he doesnt have to go buy a new bike? thats dumb. most people cant handle a 600 let alone a 750. the only reason they go up is cause at their skill level a 750 or 1000 allows for more speed or whatever. i've seen plenty of liters get passed by a 600. hell, one of my friends has a liter, and he has no idea how to ride it, i pass him in the twisties all the time, and i've only had my 600rr for a few months.

its not the guy with the biggest wang that wins, its the guy that knows how to use his, ya know what i mean?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Doesn't matter with a newbie on throttle control, because **** happens and people panic when they don't have the pre-programed reaction in there brain. Riding is counter intuitive to most people (99.9%, the rest are freaks like Rossi). Try pointing him to an SV650S, great bike to learn on and has plenty of grunt and turnability to keep up with the bigger/faster bikes. Also, the power delivery is easy on the rider and not to abrupt. Pilot powers on it and it will stick like glue (i should know, I had one, loved that bike, sounded MEAN with a yoshi exhaust on it, got a lot of thumbs up at the stoplights).

Try steering him to a compromise bike, like the SV or the 650R. They look great, can hang with the bigger bikes if u learn how to ride them and can be modded many many ways. Put it to him this way, if you start on a smaller more managable bike (remember, psychologically, he is still getting a 600cc+ bike, reverse psychology infact) u will be a much better rider when u get on a 600 or 750. I would love to see him try the msf stuff on the new GSXR 750 and completely eat **** and stare in horror and embarrasment at his screw up bike and everyone watching his stupid arse.

I have watched evidence the throttle control doesn't work for a good many newbies, watched a guy freak when he saw an ambulence coming in his rear view mirror (least he was wearing a helmet) and gunned it, nearly looped the bike (it was a zx 10r btw).

Rossi started racing on 125-250 two strokes and now hes the best in possibley all motorcycle racing history (debatable yet undeniable). He obviously doesn't understand the power delivery of the bike or anything mechancial so tell him to do a little reading and get out of bike ignorance, his other friends are a bad influence, next they will be telling him that they will teach him how to ride, which means bad habits, bad habits, bad habits.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Give him your opinion then leave it alone. If he starts talking bikes, keep giving him the same advice. you're probably not going to change his mind, so don't feel responsible for him.

A friend of mine bought an R1 as his first bike this year. He rides it like a squid with a bunch of other squids and he hasn't taken the MSF yet. I told him I won't ride with him until he passes MSF. I tried to talk him into a 600 - didn't work. He has a 14-year old son and bought him a YZ250F as his first dirt bike last summer. He wants to get him a 450F this summer even though the boy can't ride the 250F well yet. I told him the boy would be better off on a YZ85 for year so he can learn to turn & jump on something not as intimidating (his son agrees with me). But he won't listen and I doubt your friend will either.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Virgil said:
Doesn't matter with a newbie on throttle control, because **** happens and people panic when they don't have the pre-programed reaction in there brain. Riding is counter intuitive to most people (99.9%, the rest are freaks like Rossi). Try pointing him to an SV650S, great bike to learn on and has plenty of grunt and turnability to keep up with the bigger/faster bikes. Also, the power delivery is easy on the rider and not to abrupt. Pilot powers on it and it will stick like glue (i should know, I had one, loved that bike, sounded MEAN with a yoshi exhaust on it, got a lot of thumbs up at the stoplights).

Try steering him to a compromise bike, like the SV or the 650R. They look great, can hang with the bigger bikes if u learn how to ride them and can be modded many many ways. Put it to him this way, if you start on a smaller more managable bike (remember, psychologically, he is still getting a 600cc+ bike, reverse psychology infact) u will be a much better rider when u get on a 600 or 750. I would love to see him try the msf stuff on the new GSXR 750 and completely eat **** and stare in horror and embarrasment at his screw up bike and everyone watching his stupid arse.

I have watched evidence the throttle control doesn't work for a good many newbies, watched a guy freak when he saw an ambulence coming in his rear view mirror (least he was wearing a helmet) and gunned it, nearly looped the bike (it was a zx 10r btw).

Rossi started racing on 125-250 two strokes and now hes the best in possibley all motorcycle racing history (debatable yet undeniable). He obviously doesn't understand the power delivery of the bike or anything mechancial so tell him to do a little reading and get out of bike ignorance, his other friends are a bad influence, next they will be telling him that they will teach him how to ride, which means bad habits, bad habits, bad habits.
I agree with you as well. The SV 650 would be a great bike for him. But some people are hard headed. Lets just hope he listens to the good guy on his shoulder.:angel9:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Before you go to the bike shop, stop at a funeral Home. That way he can pick out his own casket.

He could be ok on a 750 but would learn so much more and quicker on a smaller bike. Too many people make the mistake of jumping up to the bigger bikes without first mastering the smaller bikes. Power without control is painful

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
LDROWN said:
The speed and dragging knees in corners will come eventually. It just takes patients.
if he isn't patient enough to go for a 600cc (which is usually a bad idea for riders who have NO idea what they are doing; bet ya if u ask him what counter steering is u will get either BS or a blank stare giving himself away as n00bish) then what makes u think he can handle a 1000cc?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Yeah, I was the same harded headed numb skull (although I have a decent grasp then of what the bike could do), I know now that I couldn't handle a 600rr when I first jumped on. I he rode dirtbikes, I could MAYBE see him getting a 600 but I am so against doing that now its crazy that i was that person when I started riding, luckily I talked myself out of a 600 inline 4.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Here is the thing. You can be ok getting a 600 or even a 750 for a first bike depending on your understanding, maturity level and respect for the bike.

The Problem here is that he does not sound like that type of person. All if his friends ride sportbikes.... so he wants a sportbike..... All of his friends have at least a 750 or higher...... so thats what he wants. It does not sound to me like he is willing to accept anything less. Tell him to look at the insurance rates between the 600 and the 750 maybe that will be enough to scare him b/c I know ins on a 750 and a rider w/ 0 riding experiece is going to be $$$$$

How old is this guy/kid anyway? Does not sound a day over 19 or 20 to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BlueSti said:
This was my first bike... and I'm still scared shitless of it. I know that this is WAY more than any beginner needs, and something re-think the decision I've made.

I can't even imagine starting on the GSX-750 from the articles I've read on it...
i am with you. i got a 06 tribal orange last week and when i got home i was about crying from the ride. i never been so scared in my life. and the couch falling out of the truck 2 cars in front of me did not help eather. i had only 12 miles on the bike when that happened. tell your friend to get in to the MSFcoarse and start with something smaller for the 1st year then get the 600?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts