Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So need some advice. Long story short, low sided the bike in cold weather. Should have taken it easy on the throttle but bad habits ripping it off the bat. ANYWAY...my slider ended up getting pushed into the crankcase and made a small crack, now whenever i have the bike running it starts squirting oil.

Got a quote from my closest dealer (i live in Toronto btw) and they said parts alone is $1650 + 10hr job. My frd suggested I should just get it welded. I tried taking the bike apart but got stuck removing the valves.

Should I just get it welded on the bike? Any other ideas?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
177 Posts
sorry to here man, that really sucks but as long as you are ok that is what is more important. if oil is squirting out of there than the crack must be right where an oil gallery is,not sure if welding is a good idea,maybe it could cause a problem with oiling if not done right. is there an engine shop you could have look at it and see what they think? or maybe see if you can find a used engine?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
you could JB Weld it, but I'm not taking responsibility if something else happens hahaha

·
Registered
119 Posts
off topic question: was is a no cut slider?
Mean you don't have to cut your fairing to install the slider. Some no cut slider suck, since they can damage other parts of your bike.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
off topic question: was is a no cut slider?
The world's most efficient way of destroying a motor in just about any off... high speed or low it doesn't matter, they all tend to punch holes in the case or valve cover...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Well mate, you might be able to get away with someone welding that, but you had best make sure they know exactly what they are doing first... if they don't then you will end up with heat issues warping the casting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup it was a shitty no cut slider. learned my lesson with that! i wanted to avoid cutting my fairings but damn was that a big mistake. Found a welder, said he has worked on aluminum and bike frames but not specifically like this. I think he's got what it takes, we will see in a week!

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Get him to pull the clutch cover to get access behind it, you can stick a finger up to where that damage is. That way you can make sure it's all sorted out...

·
Registered
381 Posts
what it's the brand name of the sliders? i've rizoma ones on mine and they seems to be in the same exact position!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it from this company:

http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/mt219-037.htm

Quick update:

I took off the clutch cover (Thanks Nico for the idea) and turns out that right behind the crack is where the chain is fed into the engine. There is a guardrail which lines up the chain, so the crack doesn't make any direct contact with just pure oil. Welding this should be a breeze. I got lucky this time, but yea NO MORE NO CUT SLIDERS!

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
That's your cam chain mate, make sure that nothing gets onto it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts