Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm in a stick and I kinda need some advice. I just bought an 2003 600rr last week, from a private party. The first thing I checked was the title, and the owner showed me a clear title with no brands or anything. So I took it for a test ride, it checked out, and I ended up taking it home... bike had roughly 6k miles on it. The previous owner was... a little sketchy. Nice guy, but I don't think he knew much about bikes. (it had about 10 psi in the tires... the top nut on the triple clamp was so loose I could take it off with two fingers...at least he changed the oil). So he had not registered it since he bought it in 2006.

So today, I took it into the DMV to get tabs and register, and they take the title and say "ummm... this actually isn't a clear title. It was totaled in Nevada in 2004, salvaged, and the mileage is unverifiable." And so I asked them how this was possible, if I was holding the clean title in my hand.. and they responded, that there must have been some kind of mistake or error in the system. WHAT? So it wasn't the seller's fault: he showed me the clean title. So what the heck do I do now? If I ever want to sell it, the resale is going to be significantly lower for a salvaged bike. And I don't even know what the actual miles are on it. I love the bike, I just feel like I got screwed and I don't know what to do about it.

Any advice?

And here are some pics because those are always good. :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hey I'm in a stick and I kinda need some advice. I just bought an 2003 600rr last week, from a private party. The first thing I checked was the title, and the owner showed me a clear title with no brands or anything. So I took it for a test ride, it checked out, and I ended up taking it home... bike had roughly 6k miles on it. The previous owner was... a little sketchy. Nice guy, but I don't think he knew much about bikes. (it had about 10 psi in the tires... the top nut on the triple clamp was so loose I could take it off with two fingers...at least he changed the oil). So he had not registered it since he bought it in 2006.

So today, I took it into the DMV to get tabs and register, and they take the title and say "ummm... this actually isn't a clear title. It was totaled in Nevada in 2004, salvaged, and the mileage is unverifiable." And so I asked them how this was possible, if I was holding the clean title in my hand.. and they responded, that there must have been some kind of mistake or error in the system. WHAT? So it wasn't the seller's fault: he showed me the clean title. So what the heck do I do now? If I ever want to sell it, the resale is going to be significantly lower for a salvaged bike. And I don't even know what the actual miles are on it. I love the bike, I just feel like I got screwed and I don't know what to do about it.

quote]

BS. Get a laywer and explain that you bought the bike as an investment and when time comes to sell, you will only get back a fraction of the cost to due it being salvaged due to the government's/DMV's negligence.

Was the person you bought it from the original owner? I would assume not. I wouldnt let him off the hook either. He probably knew of this and used it to his advantage by selling you a "clean" titled bike

Im sorry man that really sucks. Was the bike in an accident? If the lawyer thing doesnt go well then I suggest just enjoying the bike, forget about it being salvaged and keep it for a few years. When you get your next bike have enough $$ so you dont have to depend on money you get from this sale.

D

·
0 Posts
I'd speak with a lawyer about the bike. Not sure what can happen though. Also just spend a few dollars and do a title check yourself online. Maybe the DMV looked up the wrong VIN#.

·
Registered
857 Posts
bike looks clean. if you got a great deal dont worry about it. if anything it made us all a little smarter. next time do that auto report thing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would contact the seller and see whats going on, if he had a clear title in hand its very strange that the DMV would say otherwise. To me if you go to the DMV with a clean title you should come out with one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would contact the seller and see whats going on, if he had a clear title in hand its very strange that the DMV would say otherwise. To me if you go to the DMV with a clean title you should come out with one.
Exactly what I thought. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and do what I can, but worse case scenario... I have still a bike I really like. I was planning on keeping this for a while.

The DMV carfaxed it for me, and showed it to me so I know they ran the right vin#.

As far as getting a good deal on it... maybe you guys could help me decide that?

I paid $4375 (Talked down from $5k). The bike had about 6k miles... I had to put on rear blinkers, order some mirrors, misc bolts and adjust a lot of misc. stuff. Also bought sliders. Also it's going to need tires pretty soon. But I thought that seemed like a decent deal... also got a rear stand with it. The bike itself has been dropped at low speed (besides the total) and has some scratches on the fairings and engine casings. Nothing major, as you can see in the pics. Does that seem like a fair price?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The responsibility lies entirely on the previous owner to be honest on describing the item he is selling. Obviously it's always buyer beware but you need to let him know the bike does NOT have a clear title and it's almost impossible for him/her to not have known something was up. I'd rake the guy over the coals and play hard ball with him, regardless of the condition of the bike, it appears it was definitely misrepresented.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree. Whether or not the original owner knew it, he/she is responsible.

I have seen titles that are transferred from state to state where the DMV does not run the carfax and the history does not follow the vehicle and the state issues a clean title, when in reality, the bike has been salvaged...etc

If you really love the bike, just ride it and don't worry about it being salvaged. As long as things are in good, working order, just enjoy it. You didn't do too bad from a price standpoint.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
SCAM!

I call ********.

Here's why. They do this all the time with cars, and I'm sure with bikes too. Is it a 49 states bike? What happens is this: a car will get stolen and stripped. They leave the frame out somewhere for the police to findk who return it to the original owner, who is in on it. Now what he has is a paid off car because insurance will pay off the theft recovery since it was only the frame. What he has is all his parts. They put the car back together and take it across state lines, and sell it with the clean title. The paper trail can't catch up quick enough and it gets registered in another state with a clean title and pending salvage title in Cali.

Happens all the time.

I would contact the seller and call him out. $4375 isn't too bad because the bike looks really clean, but I paid $4500 in 2006 for my 03 that looked just like yours.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
call the seller, take it back and get your money back. At this point you can't trust that anything the dude said about the bike is true. And why the heck would the steering stem nut have been loose? Something smells fishy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here is the scoop. If you go to a lawyer the lawyer is going to tell you that the only way you could prosecute the previous owner is if you could prove he was fully aware of the questionable history with the bike, that may be hard to prove. If you could prove that, that would show malicious intent on the seller and he'd be in some serious $hit at that point.

I'd simply pay him a visit and inform him the DMV shows it's a salvaged bike/title and get his reaction, if he's not a common crook he'll probably crap his pants, but if he gives you no resolution then that would tell me he's a professional crook and your only recourse would be to take your lumps or try and prosecute him, which could get expensive.

In the future, you might run the VIN through www.autocheck.com. I believe it does work for motorcycles where carfax does not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the guy yesterday, and he has not responded-go figure. Also sent him an email just a little while ago...

I talked to the DOL today, and they basically said "its not our fault... it happens sometimes." They told me to call the DOL in Nevada, where it was totaled, to try and track down more information.

I don't think getting a lawyer is realistic for me, I'm in college and make pretty close to minimum wage...

Anyone have any hints or tips for suspicious things I should look for that may indicate problems down the road? It obviously runs/drives fine... I've put about 500 miles on it since last week. Is there any way I could check id numbers or something on the forks, swingarm, wheels etc to see if those are all original (I don't even know if that type of thing exists).

Funny thing is, this has happened to me before... I bought a bike from a dealer under the presumption it was a clean title, got the title in the mail (they had to transfer it from another state) and found out it was salvaged... only thing is, they bought it back from me full price (and made me a regular customer in the process).

Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike isn't in NEW condition by the way, the camera/lighting/wash just made the bike look shiny. It's probably a 7/10 cosmetically.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Man, I'd definitely try to talk to him in person (in public) or try to bring someone with you. If your keeping the bike you might want to double check everything specially frame/ swingarm damage. What kind of total? theft?, wreck? and yeah that bolt being lose and 10 psi. I'd def check.

D

·
0 Posts
Here is the scoop. If you go to a lawyer the lawyer is going to tell you that the only way you could prosecute the previous owner is if you could prove he was fully aware of the questionable history with the bike, that may be hard to prove. If you could prove that, that would show malicious intent on the seller and he'd be in some serious $hit at that point.

I'd simply pay him a visit and inform him the DMV shows it's a salvaged bike/title and get his reaction, if he's not a common crook he'll probably crap his pants, but if he gives you no resolution then that would tell me he's a professional crook and your only recourse would be to take your lumps or try and prosecute him, which could get expensive.

In the future, you might run the VIN through www.autocheck.com. I believe it does work for motorcycles where carfax does not.
If the owner never had it registered for the 3 years that he owned the bike, wouldn't that just point to him knowing it wasn't a clean title?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If the owner never had it registered for the 3 years that he owned the bike, wouldn't that just point to him knowing it wasn't a clean title?
Pretty much. In the future, I would not buy anything unless they have the title in hand and you check all VINs, frame numbers, engine numbers, vehicle history reports, etc etc. Be more aware if the bike is coming from out of state.

I had a similar title mess, which is a seriously long story. Although my bike had a clean title, the guy who I bought it from was scheisty and tried to screw me out of getting the title because he had never registered or transferred it to himself. Luckily I'm smart and know people who know people and got my damn title without him :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
You bet it does, first, I would never buy a motor vehicle that does not have a current registration, red flag number 1. I'm not 100% but I believe here in Oklahoma a motor vehicle has to have current registration/title before it can be sold, which makes sense.

I'd make a call to the local district attorney and inform them you may have uncovered a stolen vehicle "ring", that will get the guys attention!:icon_lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts