Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. There is a 03 600rr waiting for me but the parents say I do not have the time to fix it up while trying to make it through college. Now I do not know what's wrong with the bike other than it has been dropped once at a "slow rate" of speed and never ridden again. I do know there is less than 3000 miles on it. Now I've been sifting through threads trying to suck up all the information I can. I even printed out the service manual for the bike. The problem is I still am an amateur and know nothing. Lets say that the bike has some frame damage, fork damage, and other things. On a college budget could I get this bike up and running. I know bout http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html. I just need some good advice.

D

·
0 Posts
On a college budget, no. If there's frame damage, that right there is a butltoad of cash needed to buy a new frame/title. Forks can run a pretty penny too depending on how much of it is actually bent/broken.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Do not even waste your time thinking about such bike until you see it in person
& get it inspected by an exp mechanic before giving out a single dime

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so some important details I left out. There is no frame damage, but I would need to get the bike registered. (Funny how things get misinterpreted) Also the bike is coming from my aunt and she doesn't want to create tension between the family and that is why she doesn't just give it to me. I need to prove that I do have the time to get the job done, so u guys aren't helping out. Jk jk, in all seriousness I'm going to see the bike in person next week. Does anyone know of any good mechanics in the fort lauderdale area?

K

·
0 Posts
well, it'll need a charge before you get there. then go though the usual. when you turn the key, do the lights come on? when you flip the engine run switch, does the fuel pump prime? If it primes, does the damn thing start? if not, get a truck and load it. i mean, this thing is free right? hell, even if you don't have the time to fix it, it's worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If it has been dropped at a "low rate of speed" and hasn't hit anything else on the fall, I can't imagine there is THAT much damage. Inspect it carefully, like Knight suggested.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
On a more serious note, I live in Ga and if you want me to take a look at the bike for you and tell you whats good and whats bad, i can.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just curious, is your aunt giving this to you for free? If so who cares take the thing. Since this would be your first bike just getting it running would be fine since it'll probably get dropped again anyways. Without details on the damage it's impossible to tell you how much it will cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, it is free but the parents don't care for that because they believe I just won't have the time cause it is true I do go to Tech and i'm sure everyone knos that there is so many ladies at gatech that its hard for a good looking guy to concentrate on work. Anyways... i know it is impossible to get a gauge on what time it would take cause i haven't seen the bike for 3 years but any little pointers help. maine, i appreciate the offer. Hopefully I can get it up to GA and then i'll see what happens from there

K

·
0 Posts
i STILL say take the bike home. replace parts here and there as necessary. probably doesn't need very much to get running, seldom do they ever really, and cosmetics are not as important as a reliable powerplant.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
if its free take it!!!! if u cant afford the parts just let it sit til u can!!! sounds like a pretty good investment haha u still might wanna take it to a mechanic incase there is something wrong with the engine

D

·
0 Posts
Alright so some important details I left out. There is no frame damage, but I would need to get the bike registered. (Funny how things get misinterpreted) Also the bike is coming from my aunt and she doesn't want to create tension between the family and that is why she doesn't just give it to me. I need to prove that I do have the time to get the job done, so u guys aren't helping out. Jk jk, in all seriousness I'm going to see the bike in person next week. Does anyone know of any good mechanics in the fort lauderdale area?
Stay away from Broward Motorsports down there. They're evil!

If you ever need some help with the bike, I'm only 30 min away up in Lake Worth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts