Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding in a group now for awhile and we rode yesterday. Had a guy on a sport bike following me so everytime we stopped I could get some advice from him. He was telling me (and I catch myself doing it) that going into a curve, about mid way through I start to hit my brakes which in return stands the bike up. I've been reading sport riding techniques and it takes about judging corners before hand, braking before hand, letting off the gas when into the corner, etc.

Any advice other then what I'm reading?

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
take it easy man. you're getting on the brakes because you are nervous. Its probably one of the worst things you can do. Just take your time, ride at your own pace, and maybe get some track time in.

where are you located at in NC anyways.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best thing to remember is to use the gas through the corner, it makes the front end feel lighter so you aren't afraid you'll wash it out. You dont need to give it alot, just enough to get it off idle. If you run into a problem mid corner remember you have a better chance of dealing if you just work with the steering and lean farther than if you use the brakes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm up near Asheville, about 1 hour from deals gap.

I was riding at my own pace, not trying to keep up with anyone. Just had the guy following me to try to help me out. He told me to brake before the corner, let off the gas and counter steer into the corner. Then use some light throttle.

I think one of my problems is the tires, 24xx miles on the stock dunlops, no burn outs, no track days, etc.

I plan to get into a track school, I'm currently saving for Freddie Spencers two day class.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
man....this is just my opinion...but instead of shelling out BIG BUCKS for a class like that. Just start with like a corner speed school at VIR. You'll be amazed at how much you will learn on the track.

also, when it comes to riding on the street, I used to be the same way. Always thinking I had to set up for the corners and get on the brakes etc etc....but I've found that most the time I don't even need to get on the brakes.. Just try and maintain a more constant speed and everything will start to flow more.

Just try and be smooth, don't overdo it you know?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've loooked at other schools, read reviews from 3 different online forums and It all comes down to what you learn. Everyone that has taken freddie's school recommends it 10 fold.

I have so much running through my head trying to setup for these corners, braking, counter steer, move my feet to shift weight, move my body, look through the corner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you shold get keith codes book twist of the wrist. its got a lot of really good info!!! you can get it at barns n nobles or borders.... check that out and log as many miles as you can at your own pace even if that means in the back of the pack!!!

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
You just need more time man....don't rush it.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
joerc211v said:
you shold get keith codes book twist of the wrist. its got a lot of really good info!!! you can get it at barns n nobles or borders.... check that out and log as many miles as you can at your own pace even if that means in the back of the pack!!!
That's the book I was trying to think of! One point he makes in there about cornering has to do with accelerating through the corners, and if you start to lose grip, give it even more gas but deffinatly don't brake.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
very well put eazy...

someone once told me if you have to use you're brakes, you're going too fast. now, they were talking about a specific stretch of road, but i think that this rule applies too all roads. by no means, am i implying that there is one absolute speed that everyone should be riding at... there are many factors that determine what speed is too fast.

the point is that if you feel like you have to use you're brakes in mid-corner, then odds are you are going too fast for you. obviously, if there are other riders and they are going at a much faster pace, you are not going to fast for the bike or to fast for road conditions, but the important thing is that you are going to fast for you...

make small increments and work up your corner speeds. make sure that you don't focus to much on blazing though the strightaways and going to hot into the turn or try to come out of the turn very fast either. go at a pace that is confortable for you, where you don't feel that you need to use your brakes at all. once you become smooth at slower speeds, you will naturally become faster...

also, eazy hinted at riding "the pace". if you are not familiar with the pace, do a search and read up on it. it is a very elegant, safe, and fun way to ride on the street. it is, for the most part, the only way i'll ride on the streets. like eazy said maintain a constant speed, and as hard as it may be to do, even on the staights. if you can't keep the same speed going into a curve that you do in the straights, back it off until you can... once you get smooth and everthing begins to flow, you'll be able to pick up the pace with out steping outside of your confort and safty zone...

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
i've got over 6k miles on the stock dunlops and my rear is getting close to no tread. unless you've been riding extremely hard, your tires should be ok, check for the wearbars in the treads.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Maybe we can meet up and ride sometime.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
BlueBlur said:
i've got over 6k miles on the stock dunlops and my rear is getting close to no tread. unless you've been riding extremely hard, your tires should be ok, check for the wearbars in the treads.
i don't know about the stock dunlops, but my stock bridgestones feel slipperier than astro-glide when i got it cranked over so far. i didn't once have that problem after i when from the stock bt012 to the bt012ss...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought braking in a turn was a big no-no? It upsets the suspension and could cause a accident. I'm reading Motorcycles for Dummies, and no I'm not kidding.

Mike

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
nc600rr,

Don't rush yourself. All your braking should be done before you go into the turn. I think you might be getting nervous and just tapping them but know that it is very dangerous to do that. Your front could wash out from under you.

If you get into a turn too hot you might be able to recover by leaning over more instead of straightening out and braking.

Trust me I still consider myself a newb compared to most of these guys and I've actually learned a lot from their experiences and their critiques.

I guess the main thing would be to learn to trust your bike. That is, until the stupid biaaacth fails on you. :lol2: j/k

ride safe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
easy_e, if your up this way hit me up before it starts snowing.

I think I need to learn to trust the bike, thats the biggest problem right now. As for braking in the corner, I know its a no-no, I'm not laying on the brakes, just tapping them. I'll start slowing before the corner, then see how that turns out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts