Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to keep this short..

I always wanted a bike, but never had the chance..

Now i am 33.. own a house... 2 cars.. married and with a 2 year old and one on the way.. Still love bikes.. but i am getting alot of grief from family and friends regarding a bike purchase.. I have great friends that have been riding for over 10 years and knock on wood have never fell or got into accidents. They of course support me.. I have my wifes partial support because she knows that i am not a nut but is concerned with people driving cars and not seeing me. This is also a concern of mine..

I am not looking to do stunts (wheelies, endos etc) just want to get the feeling of riding a bike..

So basically i'm just looking for advise.. Should I get a bike?

Is there anyone out there that is in my situation? did it ever cross your mind to sell the bike because of you kid? or kid on the way?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
i started selling all my bikes when my 3rd was on his way. then i figured the man upstairs is going to take me when it's my time either way, so i kept one of my bikes, bought another one and started racing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I can say that this is always a very big decision with people in your situation. There are always 2 sides to every coin.

You have waited along time to get what you work hard for and there is no reason as long as you are responsible enough to not get a bike. The problem most people will tell you is with young kids and one on the way that is it worth them not having a daddy. No matter what you do in whatever situation you can be killed. Car, plane, motorcycle, etc. Problem is with a bike you are more vulnerable to idiots on the road. It really comes down to a personal question that the final decision will have to sit on your shoulders. If I could do it all over again I would and I have been down a couple times because of idiots. I would take the MSF class, get all the proper gear and get a nice USED bike to start on. I believe when it is your time to go, no matter what you are doing, you cant out run death. Also believe everything happens for a reason. So don't live your life in fear of what may happen, just be careful to prevent what you can.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IM in a similar situation, wanted a bike forever finally was able to get one. bought one and the only regret I have is not getting one sooner. I absolutely love it Ive had sand toys, boats, big ole truck to go play in the dirt with. and I honestly enjoy the motor cycle more than any of them. You cant help what stupid people are going to do out in town but you can minimize the risks with the right training (msf) and good gear. Your wife might just love riding on the back also.

basicly: get the bike

K

·
0 Posts
QQ: Can your family support themselves without you?... house payments, car payments, property taes, Insurance on everything, funeral costs, medical stuff for the children...

if it's even remotely questionable, your answer should be no.

·
Registered
857 Posts
im 39 wife & 2 kids. i have been a street bike rider for about 20 years. but if your wife is 100% against it you may not be able to really enjoy it. some people who wait forever to get a bike find they dont really like them. so take the course. then decied.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why don't you just take the class first, learn the basics and borrow a friends bike for a little bit. Its a very small chance, but you may realize that riding is not for you and problem solved.

If not, well.......I think that it is only up to you because every one of us has gone through this same scenario (+ or - the wife and kids part), some decided to roll on the throttle and some decided to squeeze on the brakes.

Very hard decision, especially in your case, good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
im 39 wife & 2 kids. i have been a street bike rider for about 20 years. but if your wife is 100% against it you may not be able to really enjoy it. some people who wait forever to get a bike find they dont really like them. so take the course. then decied.
haha we posted the same reasoning at the same time! damn you beat me to the submit button!

·
Registered
857 Posts
QQ: Can your family support themselves without you?... house payments, car payments, property taes, Insurance on everything, funeral costs, medical stuff for the children...

damm.....if we listen to you all of our bikes would be history.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I am 28 and have 3 daughters and I love them to death, everytime I get on my bike I put on my full gear, I pray (I really do) and have 2 things in my mind come back in 1 piece and enjoy the ride.

I have been commuting to work a 100 miles a day and alway wear my full gear (helmet, suit, gloves and boots) and drive like cars were out to get me.

Before I had my bike I would daydream about it while driving my car, Now that I have my bike I have a true passion for riding.

People have the Idea that a bike means death and thats simply not true, having said that It would be a lie to say its not dangerous... :icon_stud

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

That's what life-insurance policies are for. They're relatively cheap, so you can bet your ass once I have a family of my own I'll get one.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Honestly, the majority of your family will get over it in the case that you actually purchase a bike. Of course, they'll still worry and give you the "oh, did you hear about that biker that got killed?," but they almost always get over it.

Can't say I'd start riding after settling down and having kids. Something like that is best served to your other-half beforehand -- that way she knows what she's getting into.

I say if you want to get into riding while keeping the family on ease, perhaps get into the track life. No worries of being ran over by a two ton truck.

K

·
0 Posts
That's what life-insurance policies are for. They're relatively cheap, so you can bet your ass once I have a family of my own I'll get one.
don't count on life insurance policies though. they pay out thousands, millions even, but everyone who pays in doesn't make it to their payout... so somewhere down the line, someone's going to be denied payment. could be you. riding a motorcycle, especially a high performance one known to a bad choice for many riders as well as many of the raiding habits said owners associate with (this board is chalk full of them) can certainly sway a board of directors to deny payment if you're involved in a fatal motorcycle accident.

so again, if your family could get by without you around (sans life insurance) go for it. otherwise... hell no.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
don't count on life insurance policies though. they pay out thousands, millions even, but everyone who pays in doesn't make it to their payout... so somewhere down the line, someone's going to be denied payment. could be you. riding a motorcycle, especially a high performance one known to a bad choice for many riders as well as many of the raiding habits said owners associate with (this board is chalk full of them) can certainly sway a board of directors to deny payment if you're involved in a fatal motorcycle accident.

so again, if your family could get by without you around (sans life insurance) go for it. otherwise... hell no.
While I totally agree with you on that point, you CAN get it written into your policy to cover dangerous activities. I don't think having a life-insurance policy should make anyone, especially new riders like myself, feel like the risk of riding is lowered, it's just peace of mind to know your family will not suffer financially should you be killed.

I would say get a bike if that's what you want and your immediate family supports you on it. Have fun with it, but be smart, safe and ALWAYS assume that the cars around you don't see you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You..

Thanks to all that replied..

My hat goes off to you.. I have decided NOT to get the bike.. It was my own decision..

I put my son to sleep tonight and as i walked out the room he called me and gave me a hug and a kiss.. That is when it hit me.. I know I would be safe and I would wear all the proper gear but there are some real idiots driving cars out there.. and my son needs someone to kiss good night

so as far as getting a bike: Maybe later.. but not now..

Thanks again
Have fun out there and keep safe... :fiddy:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Maybe a compromise? I mean, not that it'll stop someone from running into you, but a standard bike like an SV650 naked will at least take some of the temptation out of riding hard. Just saying, you can still have fun without going balls out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts