Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I picked up a 2008 Honda CBR600RR with 3600 miles on it. It has a salvage title due to theft, and on the pink slip it says Not Actual miles. I'm assuming this is due to the theft, at least I'm hoping so.

The bike also looked like it was dropped on the right side. I don't think it was a bad crash, the timing cover isn't damaged too badly. The right side bar ends, mirrors, rear peg have scratches on them. The right mid fairing was repaired. Other than that, the bike is fine.

Now about the mileage. The seller said he replaced the tires and the battery. I have no idea why he would replace the tires already at 3600 miles, so I'm really hoping he was just BSing to fluff up the sale.

Here are some pictures of the Dunlop Qualifiers (which looks to be the stock tires Honda uses?)

Rear tire:

Front tire:

Bad pictures, I know, but can anyone give an estimate on how many miles could be on those tires? Do those tires look like they could have 3600 miles on them?

The centers on the rear tires do look a bit flat already from riding, so I know they're definitely not "recently replaced" as the seller said. Which is a good sign, as my priority is just to verify the 3600 miles.

Secondly, he said he replaced the Battery. Does this one look like the OEM Honda battery?

I'm thinking he may not have replaced it if it is the OEM one.

Thanks for the help

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Yep, tyres look almost brand new. 3600miles is decent mileage for a set of sticky sport tyres and they haven't done that. I'd say those tyres have less than 1k miles on them.

My tyres only have about 2500miles and look a lot worse than that lol A couple of my friends are lucky to get 3000miles out of their BT016s.

The battery looks OEM to me too, but couldn't say for sure. That doesn't mean to say that it hasn't been replaced though. Could have replaced OEM with OEM. Disconnect & lift it out, then take a photo or put up the info on it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If it starts, runs, and steers straight, you got a good deal. Tires and batteries are chump change. Quit obsessing and enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not worried about the tires or battery at all, I'm just concerned that this bike may have an unknown amount of miles on it

If the tires look like they can have 3600 miles on them, then I can breathe easier knowing that the bike actually has 3600 miles :(

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Yep, tyres look almost brand new. 3600miles is decent mileage for a set of sticky sport tyres and they haven't done that. I'd say those tyres have less than 1k miles on them.

My tyres only have about 2500miles and look a lot worse than that lol A couple of my friends are lucky to get 3000miles out of their BT016s.

The battery looks OEM to me too, but couldn't say for sure. That doesn't mean to say that it hasn't been replaced though. Could have replaced OEM with OEM. Disconnect & lift it out, then take a photo or put up the info on it.
you guys should quit running rock bottom psi while on the highway...

im at 5k on my 016's and hardley halfway through them...

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I'm not worried about the tires or battery at all, I'm just concerned that this bike may have an unknown amount of miles on it

If the tires look like they can have 3600 miles on them, then I can breathe easier knowing that the bike actually has 3600 miles :(

well, it was probably wrecked when found from the theft, and id wager the cluster is replacement, hence why it got not original miles.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Guess that depends on how much you payed for it. I'm guessing
somewhere around 4k-5k considering you can get an 08 for 6k-7k and sometimes (if your lucky) for less that hasn't been dropped, has clean title and accurate miles. Times are bad and, if you're patient you'll find someone who needs to unload a nice bake and you'll get a good deal. So, again it all depends what you paid for it...

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I would have said that those tires have a fair few miles on them, but maybe not as many as 3600, I would have said 2.5-3. If its a Yuassa YTZ10S then its the stock battery but that doesn't mean its the first one in there.

·
Registered
411 Posts

3000 miles only???? thats ridiculous. I had a track day, canyon runs every weekend and highway commute and got 11k out of my 16s. At that point the tire was pretty damn squared off. I took the stock qualifiers to 12k with cords starting to show when i swapped em. You guys need to frequently check tire pressure and adjust. I always lower for canyons and raise em back up for my commute.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I checked the battery and it's some Interstate battery, so it looks like he did change it out

That means he might not have been lying about changing out the tires as well. Not a good sign because I don't see why a 3600 mile bike would need a tire change

this sucks if I over paid for a bike that could have 12000+ miles. The front windshield was oddly missing 2 bolts so maybe the speedometer was changed............... god dammit

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was wondering how much did you pick up the bike for?? Cause I was going to sell my 07 600RR for $4500 with 4000 miles on it before my wife decided she wanted to ride for herself. I think if everything is good with the bike, mechanically and minor damage and you were planning on keeping it for awhile and your happy. I'd say enjoy it.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
TBH I probs would have walked away the moment I knew it had been stolen and the mileage couldn't be verified. I like to be reasonably certain of the history of my bike (I appreciate, you can never be 100% unless you've owned it from new).

Having said that, it's an '08, I seriously doubt if it will have covered a horrendous number of miles. As long as everything's straight and well held together, and with decent maintenance from you, it'll probably still be going strong a long time after you move on to something new.

I know you might feel like you've been ripped off. I know the feeling and it's difficult to get out of your head once it's planted there. It really depends on how much you paid though and there's probably nothing you can do about that now anyway. There's no real evidence that the seller has misled you.

Best thing you could do is just ride and enjoy. If it bothers you that much, you could always sell it for as much as you can and get a different bike.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
3000 miles only???? thats ridiculous. I had a track day, canyon runs every weekend and highway commute and got 11k out of my 16s. At that point the tire was pretty damn squared off. I took the stock qualifiers to 12k with cords starting to show when i swapped em. You guys need to frequently check tire pressure and adjust. I always lower for canyons and raise em back up for my commute.
I reckon my rear tyre will hold on for quite a few more miles; probably do me a couple of months into next year. Front will last even longer.

My friends don't run horrendous pressures, I'm pretty sure they both run around 36 front and 38 rear. They've been lucky to get 3k from the rear but the front lasts around 6k for them. One of my friend's has gone through 2 rear tyres and a front this year alone :retard: Like me, he only rides evenings and weekends for fun and only commutes on the odd occasion. I reckon it's a suspension issue, rather than pressures :ponder:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the milage unknown thing. My salvaged title bike had that on it too. But the previous owner had maintenance reciepts to prove the milage was acurate. Still unsure how the unknown milage part came about on the title.

Anyhow, when I went to register and transfer the bike into my name, I put down that the odometer reading was acurate. Took about 3 months for them to send it up north and do the investigation. The end result was me getting my title with the milage from the odometer listed on it though.. No more unknown milage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dude ya bought the bike knowing this was an issue with mileage....

Make sure the bike is in working order and forget about what it does or doesn't have for miles! Why worry about it after the fact?? Enjoy the bike!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts