Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My military enlistment is going to expire before i know it and ive been tossing around the idea of getting out. The job is fun, the benifits are good and the job security cant be beat....however, the pay, well.....SUCKS! I mean, they pay for just about everything...housing, food, etc, but the average salery of an enlisted man just doesnt cut it in todays high priced economy. I consider myself a fairly educated person....have an associates in Electronic Engineering, can fix most basic and some advanced computer problems, have a nack for electromechanical systems, can use just about any peice of business software out there and am a quick learner. My job im currently doing is very involved with the electronics and electomechanics of nuclear weapons, launch facilities and support equipment....some space lift experience in there too. One thing that gives me a distinct advantage over the average joe schmoe trying to get a job for one of these high paying defence contractors is my DoD Top Secret Clearance...these things are like gold to the civilian employers as they can cost sometimes in excess of 100,000 dollars to complete and if ones already paid for...all the better. My main concern is job security though...it seems to be spotty with these high paying gigs sometimes. It sure would be nice to be 25 years old and making 100,000 bucks a year, but if i lose my job a few years down the line, it could make for some seriously rough times. I dunno...guess im just looking for some words of advice, encouragement....maybe even a "get your head out of the clouds"....

Anyone in or have been in a similar situation??

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
im getting outta the Marines on either Sept 30 or sometime in february. your lucky!!! at least you have a trade, im just a grunt/scout sniper with no real trade at all!!! bout all i can really look forward to is being a cop or something similar. wife is re-enlisting though so i guess i can be a dependant!!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
You really have to crunch the numbers before getting out. It SEEMS like we don't get paid well but after you figure out all the civilian health and dental coverage or benefits, it really opens your eyes. I do have to agree a TS definitely makes a huge difference BUT that's if you can land a job. Me personally I would not get out without a Bachelors Degree which I am working on now to add to my Associates in Electronics.

I had a buddy who was going to get out and had a job offer als. They flew him to the east coast and he asked all the questions as far as benefits and how much that would affect his salary, and although it sounded like a good deal intitially after he crunched the numbers, he would make less and this is as an E-3. Crunch the Numbers and have something lined up. Do not wait till you get out to start looking and good luck.

My 2 Cents,
Stro

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I went thru the same thing. I have secret with a huge ammount of experiance in alot of military fields. It's so hard to find a job. Everything is online now so getting a face to face is even tough. I've tryed getting into the goverment places like "SPAWAR" and it's very hard. Try getting something lined up before u get out.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I got out of the Marines in April '01, and I had my FAA mechanic license with A&P ratings. Then 9-11 happens and suddenly the airlines are laying off by the thousands instead of hiring. Now I'm a security officer. But I like it better than being in the Marines.

If you're getting out, have a plan, and be proactive about it before you get out. Have a job lined up so you can concentrate on moving for a few weeks and getting all that jazz done before you start your new job. Remember the "7 P's":

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's tough. There are very few people in the military that don't go through that gut-wrenching feeling of not knowing whether to stay or walk away.

Making a good living in the military is really tough, but those $100k jobs aren't as easy to get or keep. You kind of have to be in the right place at the right time...and then you have to walk the walk.

My only advise, though it may sound wrong is to remember what it is that your service rewards ($$ wise) and concentrate on that. For example, the AF does not reward hard or sharp workers (with money that is...they can take the quarter awards and shove them), but rather good test takers. If you're in the AF, just do your job, stay out of trouble, and study. You don't have to worry about being the go-to guy, or the sharpest, most educated, volunteer-for-everything, put-in-more-hours-than-most type of guy. Simply do your job (that'll get you a 5 on your EPR) and then study that PFE and SKT. Make them a part of your life.

No one's ever said that you need to know your job to get e-7...even e-8.

Either way, good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts