Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got a bogus ticket tonite coming home from bike nite. I was riding along with a buddy that was ahead of me and we were surronded by cars on a 40mph road. As i put on my blinker to get in front of a car to be on the outside lane we passed a cop(bike cop) sitting in the opposite turn lane. I immediatley looked at the speedo as i always do when i see a cop and it said 48, ok no biggie. so i continue on then he lights us up. From the begining he was a total *******. He said he got my buddy "visually" doing 70+ and me 60+ no F'ing way i was thinking. I told him i was doing 48 becuase i saw him and checked my speedo like i always do, and there was cars all around us, so how could we be going that fast? I totally think he was sterotyping us etc..... he had no radar so how could he legally win this battle in court? Would i be wasting my time going to court? The ticket is for 223.00. I'm not paying that for something i didnt do. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
yea fight that man, thats just :bs:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
his word against a cop will be a losing proposition for him. the cop is an "expert". unless 66rrjoe presents evidence to the contrary the officers testimony holds more weight...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Fight it...since he didnt get you on radar he only has a general idea how fast you were going...not an exact number. Most cops are trained to guess a vehicles speed +/- 3 MPH at different angles and directions....alot are trained this way, but it doesnt mean they are correct all the time. Make sure you point this out to the judge...i did this a few years ago on a 250 dollar ticket...got it reduced to 100 bucks and no points.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Be polite in court. Tell the judge you have riding for a number of years and that you never squid around. Tell the judge that you signaled before passing and that you wanted to get out of the cars blind spot which is why you twisted the throttle a bit more. Emphasize Safety.

As many others have already mentioned, the ticket will be reduced and you may not get any points.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
COURT COURT COURT! You have to go. The cop probly wont even show up. and if he didnt have a radar you cant "visually" ticket someone. Without a radar the only way they can ticket you is to be pacing you because the police cars/bikes are calibrated to correct speed. Sucks you gotta deal with that crap. Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
samerr said:
Be polite in court. Tell the judge you have riding for a number of years and that you never squid around. Tell the judge that you signaled before passing and that you wanted to get out of the cars blind spot which is why you twisted the throttle a bit more. Emphasize Safety.

As many others have already mentioned, the ticket will be reduced and you may not get any points.

Good advice...the safety factor could help you to beat it.
Good luck. Hope your insurance rate doesn't go up.

·
Registered
760 Posts
That's a BS call on the cop's part. "visually" isn't enough PC to pull you over unless there's a un reasonalbe situation such as rain, fog, traffic etc... Get a good lawyer, be polite in court and plead your case.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hire this guy, Lionel Hutz. Homer says he's pretty good.

Hutz: Uh-oh! We've drawn Judge Schnider!
Marge: Is that bad?
Hutz: Well, he's kinda had it in for me since I kind of ran over his dog.
Marge: You did?
Hutz: Well, replace the word 'kind of' with 'repeatedly', and the word 'dog' with 'son'.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts