Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go. I am picking up my 2003 CBR tonight. I have to go to the guys house and ride the bike home though. It is about a 15 minute ride. One of the roads is pretty busy though its a main road. I took the MSF course, and did very well. But those were honda rebel 250's. I dont know if I should chance it and try and ride it home. I am trying to get someone from my local forum to come with me and get it, but if I cant, do you think I should ride it home? Has anyone ever rode their first bike for the very first time on main roads? Advice needed! Thanks

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
definitely a good choice on the bike. The fact that you're even debating riding it back home means you're not 100% comfortable with it. It's a totally different bike than a 250 rebel, one that may not be as comforting on your 15-min ride back home riding on main roads. Dont chance it and find someone to ride it back. Or look on craigslist for bike transport. Once you get it home then take small trips around the block etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok here we go. I am picking up my 2003 CBR tonight. I have to go to the guys house and ride the bike home though. It is about a 15 minute ride. One of the roads is pretty busy though its a main road. I took the MSF course, and did very well. But those were honda rebel 250's. I dont know if I should chance it and try and ride it home. I am trying to get someone from my local forum to come with me and get it, but if I cant, do you think I should ride it home? Has anyone ever rode their first bike for the very first time on main roads? Advice needed! Thanks
I wasn't comfortable when I first bought the CBR so I got it home on a trailer. Practiced on the bike first in an empty parking lot next to my apartment, I am glad I did that.

Even when I bought the Ninja 250, I asked my boss to trailer it home for me. Better to be safe than to be sorry.

Good luck, ride safe.

Bart

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
just ask to pick it up later in the day (after rush hour) so that way the traffic is down.

I say this is the best thing to do if you can't find someone to help you bring the bike back home.

Just remember to take it easy, don't give it too much gas keep the revs under 6k and you'll be alright. Its only a 15 min ride, just make sure you have a family member or a friend follow you home to make sure you get there safely.

After you get the bike home. Practice in your neighborhood or in an empty parking lot.

Congrats on the new bike. :shakehand

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I got my girlfriends brother to ride it home for me. He rides a CBR also. I probably could ride it home, but just want to be cautious you know. Gonna be practicing in the neighborhood for a while till I am really comfortable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your not comfortable on such a short ride maybe you should have started out on a smaller bike.
It has nothing to do with a smaller bike. This will be my first time on a 600 period. I would rather start out in a controlled environment than just get thrown out on the streets.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would have asked the seller to drive it to my house, and I would have followed him (or led) in my car.

I completely understand too. On my first purchase (08 ninja 250r) even though I had completed the msf course, I still have the seller ride it to my house. And when I purchased my cbr, I trailer it home.

You would probably be fine. But you're going to stall it in traffic, which makes you rush, and then you might give it too much gas and pop the clutch, etc. Much better to be safer then sorry.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
when i took my bike i told the guy to ride it to his house so he can get the title and from there i took over and drove on the LIE and Grand Central parkway 35 miles to my house and had no problem, just didnt speed at all and kept my self in the mid and right lane just to b on the safe side...

it is scary when u think about it but when u actually move the bike and start riding the fear disappears at least that is how it was with me

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was in the same exact position as you. Took the MSF in July and bought my 2004 600rr in November and did not want to have my first ride be a frightening one. Granted my ride home was 40 minutes but still. I kindly asked the seller If he could ride it to my house for me. I explained my inexperience and he was totally cool and understanding about it (He said he did the same thing when he first got it from the original owner). At the end of the day we both decided it was too cold to ride (Newport, RI during winter) so I payed a buddy of his to deliver it via his Nissan Titan right to my garage.

After it was delivered I read the owners manual and sat on the bike and lulled over the controls before turning it on and at my own pace took it out around the neighborhood. Again you don't want your first ride to be a frightening one. Best choice I could have made. 600rr's are rocket ships compared to 250cc rebels. Take it easy and respect the bike it will reward you later on.

Hope that helps! :cruising:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I got my girlfriends brother to ride it home for me. He rides a CBR also. I probably could ride it home, but just want to be cautious you know. Gonna be practicing in the neighborhood for a while till I am really comfortable.
Good call. Now the ball is in your court and you can practice at your own pace. What part of Tampa are you from bro? I visit Hillsborough couple of time a year. Have family there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good call. Now the ball is in your court and you can practice at your own pace. What part of Tampa are you from bro? I visit Hillsborough couple of time a year. Have family there.
Im north of Hillsborough in Pasco County.. Land O Lakes.. Hit me up when you are out here bro

·
Registered
358 Posts
I went from an old 1969 two-stroke street bike for a while-soft as a lamb. Early the next summer, I decided to upgrade. I bought a Ducati. I had never ridden a sportbike before. The Duc has an excessively forward riding position and insanely touchy throttle. Also, it was raining. I had to get her home from the PO so I just went balls deep and rode home anyway regardless of my noobness and weather.

I thought I was going to die. That thing hauls A.S.S!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.- I'm still alive and am currently a disciple to the torque God.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i took my bike i told the guy to ride it to his house so he can get the title and from there i took over and drove on the LIE and Grand Central parkway 35 miles to my house and had no problem, just didnt speed at all and kept my self in the mid and right lane just to b on the safe side...

it is scary when u think about it but when u actually move the bike and start riding the fear disappears at least that is how it was with me
Im from Hempstead bro.. Used to live in Uniondale by Hofstra. Across from the Colisseum. Too bad I will never be riding up there with those messed up roads lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:+1:

Why don't you just ask the guy to ride it to your house, then you can take him back home in your car.
That was originally the plan, but the guy has back problems and was told by his doctor that he cant ride anymore. So I got my girlfriends brother to do it. He has been riding for about 5 years so we should be all good :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I went from an old 1969 two-stroke street bike for a while-soft as a lamb. Early the next summer, I decided to upgrade. I bought a Ducati. I had never ridden a sportbike before. The Duc has an excessively forward riding position and insanely touchy throttle. Also, it was raining. I had to get her home from the PO so I just went balls deep and rode home anyway regardless of my noobness and weather.

I thought I was going to die. That thing hauls A.S.S!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.- I'm still alive and am currently a disciple to the torque God.

Thats a squidly move bro... lol jk

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with waiting. If going to sleep early isnt an issue i would even consider waiting till late night when itll be dead. just have him leave it ouside and get the key from him at a reasonable time, then you can go pick it up whenever. midnight or so? something i considered when i got mine

1 - 20 of 27 Posts