Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a question. i want to start doing track days and my buddies are going this weekend to putnam, in. the question i have is im planning on going and doing the intro which is a free session in the morning. i was put on the waitlist though, any idea what my odds are for getting on the track?

dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's a tough question to answer, but I don't think I would risk coming all that way and then not get a chance to ride. I don't know your situation, so I won't suggest what everyone else does and tell you to just join and ride the whole day...

FWIW...I've done two track days with NESBA..(three total) and one at Putnam in July...I'm pretty sure they had a full group...(i think they allow 5) of intro riders on that day...

I'll be there both saturday and sunday...Hope you can make it.

I'd say your odds are 60/40 against being able to ride...two sessions isn't really enough anyways....

Later,
Doug

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know what you mean def. not enough but i would still like to check it out. i'll see how it goes

dave

hopefully will see you out there

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Who all made it to Putnam this weekend? And what class did you ride in?

Did you do it Dave?

Where did you pit Doug? I saw a red and black near the NESBA trailer on the track side of the pits?

I should have looked for this thread before I went...

It was my first time out on a track. I was on the white 600 with the "billy" red duct tape #690. Great time. I cant wait til next time and hopefully I wont mess up so many shifts down the straight. ;) Cant wait to see the photos at slider.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kevin,

I was pitted on the track side but further down near the "control tower."

I was in the "B" group.

This was my fourth Track day and was riding well...nearly got bumped and then disaster struck. I crashed coming out of Turn 2. Me and another guy on a sliver Gixxer where coming up on a guy who was going slow..very slow. I'm not sure what happened but the bike was leaned over pretty good and I'm thinking I may have touched the front brake...and that was that. The front end went out and the bike and myself went for a ride. I'm fine, but the bike needs some work.

The worst part of it was that I was pre-registered for Sunday and couldn't ride because my rear brake lever (which I never use) got snapped off and they wouldn't let me pass tech without a functioning rear brake...

My bike is no longer pretty...lots of work to do, but hopefully it'll be ready to go by October 15-16..Are you riding that event with NESBA?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
her brutalrr, i was the other guy with the RR that was pretty much identical to yours. You asked me if i had an extra rear brake set. Hope you get the bike fixed soon

Kevin:
I was kind of near the Nesba trailer and i was on the track side. I rode with the B group. Great time and def. want to do it again

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys got any videos or pictures? I'll post mine as soon as i get them all together from my buddies as well

dave

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I was pitted next to this guy... http://imageevent.com/wingspan/nesbatrackdayatputnampark The pics of the fog in the morning are good. I will try to post a few pics as well. My camera was not up to the task of the track. I have a DV cam but no mount. I want to get a few other things before a mount.

I only did Sunday. Glad I did. My legs got a work out that's for sure.

I have signed up for the 16th and I am thinking about doing the 15th also. There aren't a lot of days left.

Sorry to hear about that Doug. I came up on a couple of riders like that too and it was intense. Glad you didn't get hurt. Four weeks to get it going. What other parts do you need?

Dave: I saw some 600's in the I and A groups but didn't see any in the B. But then again I was thinking about other things going on to the track. ;) Are you going to try to do the 15th/16th?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LTSrr: I was there on saturday... I would love to go but the problem is money... So if i can pull someting off i will be there on saturday but not looking too good for me... I also need a set of tires which sucks.

What tires do you guys run on the street, that i can use at the track as well. I used the Michelin Sports and they have never given a problem on the street or on the track.

Here are the 2 videos my buddy had on his GSXR that day
Vid #1
Vid #2

And yes he really needs to work on his lines!

dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice vids...I think that's me coming out of turn 2...on the red flag lap on video number two..You can just barely see me trying to pick the damn bike up...Sorry about that.

I'll be back for a little revenge on the 15th and 16th of October...If I can find a rear set for the bike..

I was running supercorsas...they had four trackdays on them. Not sure if that was one too many or not. I think the wreck had more to do with operator error.

Doug

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahaha nice, hopefully i'll see you out there

like i said i just need money for some tires and then for the track day. track day i think i can pull off but tires will be a problem

let you know once it gets closer if i'll be there

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know a guy who will sell and mount a set of Pirelli Supercorsas...race take-offs for about $125..Of course you would have to get your bike the Southern Indiana..

Did you have any trouble getting into the Intro Class or did you end up riding the full day?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats not a bad price... what shape are they in though? you think they will still do a track day?

I ended up getting into intro, and then of course ended up doing the whole day :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
btw the pictures are up from sliderphoto, some pretty cool ones. im going to get sucked into ordering one

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure what shape the take-offs are in. According to the guy that sells them they are good for a couple of track days. I got a new set of Supercorsas installed/mounted for $265...and he came to my house to do it. Can't beat that.

sliderphoto only got a few of me...I guess because I wrecked on like the second afternoon session.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
piwko said:
What tires do you guys run on the street, that i can use at the track as well.
I just got a set of the diablo corsa's (nail in the original tires. Probably not a bad thing). They seem to do good as far as wear on the street and did well for me at the track. Not exactly Rossi though. If you can find a set of tires MD Racing might mount them at the track. You could email him. $20+/- no more than $30 a set.

I am going to check out the video at home tonight.

Brutalrr said:
I'll be back for a little revenge on the 15th and 16th of October...If I can find a rear set for the bike..
Do you need a brake lever or the whole rearset? I have some spare parts. Not much though. No rearsets or brake levers... Is that all you are needing???

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah...I managed to find a front brake lever, but the right foot peg and rear brake lever both broke off when I wrecked...these seem to be difficult parts to find. If I can't find some soon, I may just order some aftermarket rear sets..

Oh yeah...both bar ends are MIA also. Another hard to find piece of bike hardware..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brutalrr:
you got an email for this guy about his take offs? I'll shoot him an email and ask him about the tires and go from what he tells me. Maybe i can get them from him and have MD mount both for me like LTSrr was saying

dave

1 - 20 of 39 Posts