Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i been riding on the street for only 2 years.but have more seat time on the dirt been to dirt tracks alot.And now i want to ride my street bike at the track.What do i need to ride at the trackes.what gear do i need to wear and then what needs to be done on the bike to ride at the track and how much is a day at the track cost.Just want to go and have some fun and not worry about the big man pulling me over:shakehand

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Well you need alot of stuff but well start with the bare minimum:

For body:
Full leathers (1 or 2 peice)
Back protector
Leather boots that cover your ankle
leather gauntlet gloves
snell or dot helmet

For your Bike:
track approved engine coolant (water wetter)
decent tread life on your tires (stickier the better)
Lights and blinkers taped up (track plastics are even better)
bike must be fully functional (brakes, kill switch, etc...)

can any one add in (maybe I am missing something from the bare minimum)

·
Registered
412 Posts
No matter what, if you don't have tire warmers, do a lap or two at 50-60% before you tear it up! Colt tires are unforgiving!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Track fees run from $150-$250 per day depending on the organization you're riding with as well as the particular track.
For tracks in your area try www.trackpedia.com
NESBA used to have a "try the track for free" deal but I'm not sure if they are still doing it. You dont need full leather and I dont even think you need to tape up the bike. They let you ride for a few sessions and if you like it you pay for the day and continue.

Most places will rent out leather suits if you dont have one but be sure to get there early or reserve it first. You'll need an approved helmet, back protector, boots, and gloves.
Most places dont require you do change the coolant or safety wire the bike. The bike just needs to have good tire and brake life and be in good shape. You will have tape up all the lights and signals and remove the mirors though.
Check out the following sites for additional info:
NESBA.com
teampromotion.com
tonystrackdays.com
sportbiketracktime.com

Some groups have annual membership fees and some dont. usually if they have annual fees the price per track day is lower.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much are leathers and what is better full or 2 peice and with the engine coolant you mean no antifreeze just water. and this sounds like it will take some time to get all of this but i hear its worth it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
how much are leathers and what is better full or 2 peice and with the engine coolant you mean no antifreeze just water. and this sounds like it will take some time to get all of this but i hear its worth it.
Going to my second track day this Friday, but yeah I was like you, wanting to get into it, etc. I put things together pretty quick.

Pretty good info in the thread already. I already had a leather jacket so I went and got a pair of zip in leather pants to make a 2 piece suit. A one piece suit is obviously better, but a 2 piece suit will do. I already had a snell approved helmet, then bought over the wrist moto gloves, and a used pair of moto boots. I don't have a chest/back protector, it's on my list of things to purchase and it's not necessary at the tracks I've been riding.

For the bike; I have a pretty stock 600rr. Last night I taped up everything, rear tail light, reflectors, headlights, took the license plate off. Took the side mirrors off. I have a good set of pilot powers on there and brakes and everything else is in good condition (your bike has to pass through tech inspection the morning of the track day). Tracks here don't make you change coolant or safety wire anything. But you can't be leaking any fluids, etc.

For down here in TX, track days vary from $135 to $200. I've also picked up a canyon dancer and some tie downs and help pay for gas for whoever trailer me to the track. Then it's basic other stuff like cooler, drinks, food, etc.

I can see how track days can become addicting, and it's great riding out there not having to worry about po-po, gravel in the road, on-coming cars, etc.:banger:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

You could get a suit for as low as $400 or maybe even less. If I were you I would RENT a suit first and see how you like it. Most people that I know have gotten addicted to the track but if you drop $400+ on a suit and dont like the track you'll be pretty pissed.
As for the engine coolant. Alot of people use water and "water wetter" but I have done plenty of track days with lots of different groups and I have NEVER had to change out the coolant. Maybe the intermediate and advanced groups might have to but I've never needed to...so I wouldnt worry too much about that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as leathers I went for 2 piece with a full zip. Then you can just wear one piece of it if you want to :p
Take your own water and some decent snacks too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Going to my second track day this Friday, but yeah I was like you, wanting to get into it, etc. I put things together pretty quick.

Pretty good info in the thread already. I already had a leather jacket so I went and got a pair of zip in leather pants to make a 2 piece suit. A one piece suit is obviously better, but a 2 piece suit will do. I already had a snell approved helmet, then bought over the wrist moto gloves, and a used pair of moto boots. I don't have a chest/back protector, it's on my list of things to purchase and it's not necessary at the tracks I've been riding.
You could get a suit for as low as $400 or maybe even less. If I were you I would RENT a suit first and see how you like it. Most people that I know have gotten addicted to the track but if you drop $400+ on a suit and dont like the track you'll be pretty pissed.
As for the engine coolant. Alot of people use water and "water wetter" but I have done plenty of track days with lots of different groups and I have NEVER had to change out the coolant. Maybe the intermediate and advanced groups might have to but I've never needed to...so I wouldnt worry too much about that.
I wear full protection just to go to the store. Buy at least a two piece suit and wear it all the time. Not just at the track.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

For the bike; I have a pretty stock 600rr. Last night I taped up everything, rear tail light, reflectors, headlights, took the license plate off. Took the side mirrors off. I have a good set of pilot powers on there and brakes and everything else is in good condition (your bike has to pass through tech inspection the morning of the track day). Tracks here don't make you change coolant or safety wire anything. But you can't be leaking any fluids, etc.

For down here in TX, track days vary from $135 to $200. I've also picked up a canyon dancer and some tie downs and help pay for gas for whoever trailer me to the track. Then it's basic other stuff like cooler, drinks, food, etc.

I can see how track days can become addicting, and it's great riding out there not having to worry about po-po, gravel in the road, on-coming cars, etc.:banger:
:ciao: T-24hrs and counting til departure my brother!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys that helps me alot

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well you need alot of stuff but well start with the bare minimum:

For body:
Full leathers (1 or 2 peice)
Back protector
Leather boots that cover your ankle
leather gauntlet gloves
snell or dot helmet

For your Bike:
track approved engine coolant (water wetter)
decent tread life on your tires (stickier the better)
Lights and blinkers taped up (track plastics are even better)
bike must be fully functional (brakes, kill switch, etc...)

can any one add in (maybe I am missing something from the bare minimum)
some parts need to be safety wired

·
Registered
98 Posts
are back protectors necessary for a track day? or does it depend on the track? im going to buy one just waiting for a deal to come around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back protectors are usually not required but highly recommended. I use a TPro Forcefield, which is so comfortable I forget it's there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i wish i could do track but i cant afford it at this moment. i would do it right. i would get aftermarket fairings cuz you dont want to mess up those pricey oem ones, full suit, slicks, boots, gloves am i at a $1000 bucks yet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts