Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just picked up the bike on Friday, spent all weekend riding around. I have a few observations:

(1) I noticed that of the three front lights ( two main bulbs, and a cateye in the center ) only the right bulb and the cateye light up under normal use. When I switch to high beam, all three light up. Is this normal, or do I have a bulb burnout?

(2) RPMs. Having come from a cruiser, the stock setup sounds like its going to explode. Boy this thing rev's high. The shift points found in the owners manual are a joke. Others on this forum recommend shifting at redline, but I think thats too much especially for city driving. Is there a typical RPM shift point for each gear?

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
shifting will depend on riding situation, use your best judgement. Only one light is on for lowbeams.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Do a search on break in and there is a link to a preferred break in. Always ride with your hi-beams on in the daytime.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dont know about break in
but I do the following...

saving gas
shift at 3-4000 RPM

Normal cruising
shift at 5-6000 RPM

Track
just before rev limiter kicks in

·
Registered
344 Posts
shifting is completely up to you. if you're looking to save a little gas for a mild commute or easy cruise try staying below 5k rpms (this is when the secondary fuel injectors kick in). I've noticed a significant gas savings when i do this.

Regarding the light bulbs (when riding the bike) the left one is your low beam and your right one is your high beam. I'm not sure what the little light in the middle is for.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
the secret to riding the RR and having fun w/ it but still getting great MPG is not in your shift points but using all your gears. If your just crusing around at about 50 MPH for a casual ride shift up to 5th and 6th. When I was just cruising around I was keeping it in 4th and it was taching around 5-6K but w/ it in 6th it goes down to about 4K. By doing this I went from 36 MPG to 46 MPG

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
there is no specific RPM recommendation in the owner's manual about break in..... it basically says baby it for a few hundred miles. let it idle a little, cruise it around a while, then do some riding where the rpms vary..... just ride casually. not taking it anywhere near redline. after break in, take it to redline if you want, but power drops off at about 14,000. yeah it does take some getting used to revving something that high

1 - 10 of 10 Posts