Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new bike, now with ~250 miles. Since new, when shifting through the gears it will occasionally refuse to go into the next gear. Gear lever just won't engage/click. Typically happens in the higher gears 3 to 4, 5 to 6, etc. I'll have to release all pressure from the gear lever and then try it again, which then works. Yep, the clutch is all the way in. The friction zone doesn't start till the last 1/3 of lever travel so I don't think it's the clutch not fully disengaging. Any thoughts, or is this typical and will go away with some miles?

·
Registered
639 Posts
you foot might not be fully realseing the shift lever from a previous shift, you might not notice it, especially if you are wearing boots. if you don't let the shift lever go all the way back to its natural resting point before you try to shift again the shift drum (the thing in side that actually does the shifting) will not be able to reset.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It goes without saying, any doubts, take it back to the dealer, especially brand new with warrantee. Could be a myriad of things, most likely something wasn't machined right (shift forks, shift cassette, gears, etc) and isn't meshing together like it should. My experience with these gear boxes are typically buttery smooth, even when new. Good luck, hopefully the dealer doesn't give you a bunch of crap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd try George's advice before takin' it back to the dealer. He's right... take her back out and go through the gears a few times making sure you let the lever go all the back to its neutral position each time before shifting again. You shouldn't have any problems. Then try it leaving some pressure on the lever after a shift(which I think is what you are saying you do when you said "I'll have to release all pressure from the gear lever and then try it again, which then works"), then try shifting again and you'll see that it will stick like you are saying. If you still have problems, let the dealer take a look...

D

·
0 Posts
Have you adjusted the shifter pedal to be in a comfortable position for you to allow easy shifts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I certainly haven't ruled out operator error, I'll have to pay attention to keeping my foot clear of the lever between shifts. I really don't want anything to be wrong with the bike. Do you return to the balls of your feet on the pegs between each shift, or just keep your foot under the gear lever until you're in 6th?

I don't know about "buttery smooth" gearbox, but then again i've never ridden a bike prior to buying this 09, except for the basic rider course bike. Seems like there's lots of high frequency gearbox noise/whine with noticeable "clunks" when shifting. Have no idea if this is normal, better, or worse than most bikes tho.

Demented, thanks I didn't think about that either. I've got some new (non motorcycle) boots and they are kind of tall around the toebox. I may need to adjust that lever.... or just get real boots.

·
Registered
42 Posts
While shifting to get up to speed I keep my foot under the lever until I reach the gear I want, you'll just have to find the right spot for your riding style and pretty soon you won't even think about it anymore.

As for the noise, there will always be a noticeable "clunk" when you put her in gear from neutral. If you are getting that same noise when shifting through your gears you might not be engaging the clutch all the way. The high pitch whine I don't know... The stock exhausts are pretty quite so you might just be hearing normal engine sounds like your valves working and what not. When you sitting right on top of the engine you hear everything it's doing, specially with a quiet exhaust. It shouldn't squeel or anything like that though.

I understand how it is man, I am very OCD with my bike and want it to be perfect always. If you think something is out of the ordinary, which I guess you're probably not real sure what ordinary is yet, there's nothing wrong with taking her in and having the dealer take a closer look to ease your nerves. Honda makes a damn good bike so you probably don't have anything to worry about if it's new.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i've had my 09 since january and am at 2200 miles now and i've still noticed my contact point for the clutch to fully engage isn't super giving, at first i thought it was bc its all brand new, but it still hasn't given much leeway compared to my gf's 08 gsxr, her's seems to have a bit more of a buttery feel to shifting. not sure if this sort of thing is the same with urs at all? another thing i noticed is that if u come to a complete stop in say 4th gear, u can't squeeze the clutch and consistently shift all the way down to 1st without engaging the clutch a little through each gears. not trying to highjack ur thread by anymeans just curious if these are things ur experiencing?

·
Registered
104 Posts
also, i notice ur from tampa bay, which dealer did u purchase ur bike from??

·
Registered
42 Posts
chuquet, the reason you have to release the clutch while shifting down while not moving is because when you shift you are slowing/stopping the drive without rotation from your chain or your engine to keep the shaft rotating. you wont be able to shift unless your drive shaft is rotating. by releasing the clutch between shifts you are allowing the clutch/engine to engage and rotate the shaft then you can shift again. when you are moving the chain will keep your drive shaft rotating while the wheels are spinning.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i understand the concept behind the situation for sure, just figured they would of found out a way to overcome that by now, or maybe its just too much hassle to worry about for something so small.

D

·
0 Posts
Demented, thanks I didn't think about that either. I've got some new (non motorcycle) boots and they are kind of tall around the toebox. I may need to adjust that lever.... or just get real boots.
Boots could be the problem. I just broke in my new pair of track boots, and had to put up with 3 weeks of missed shifts, hard shifts, and foot pain because I couldn't tell where my foot was in relation to the peg and shifter.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i understand the concept behind the situation for sure, just figured they would of found out a way to overcome that by now, or maybe its just too much hassle to worry about for something so small.
Bike tranny's work way different than a typical standard car's tranny. (Stating the obvious, not trying to hurt feelings) Neutral is in between a set of gears rather than a car were you can go to N from any gear. Most riders downshift to a stop rather than chunking the gears down while you are stopped, it's bad practice and can be embarrassing when you think you are in first but really second and dump the clutch off the line only to go nowhere. Plus a good portion of braking effort is done with downshifting. :shakehand

Back on topic, Tampa, I keep my toe under the gear selector until I'm done upshifting. I don't have to move my foot around much to get under/over the selector. As far as gearbox noise, I only have a nice wine (sounds like a supercharger) once I engage the clutch and get the bike rolling, mostly noticeable if I'm giving it the beans. I agree that foot position/boot&foot break in is key to good shifting, however I feel strongly if he can't get it to upshift without a lot of fuss and bother something's wrong with the bike. Nothings perfect, even a Honda! :cruising:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My new '09 shifted pretty hard too for awhile, it might have been partly me too, but I did notice after the first oil change it was way smoother and everything engages perfectly now. So I'd say just bear with it until then and see if it helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I put some old sneaks on and went out for a test ride last night. Result? Not one missed shift. I think the new boots I rushed out to buy the night before the BRC class are going to be used for yard work instead... and I'll be paying extra attention to any residual pressure on the lever after shifting. Plus, the aggresive tread pattern on the new work boots in combination with the grip pattern on the pegs prevented smoothly sliding my foot back and forth between the cruising and shifting positions. I'm just thrilled that there's nothing wrong with the bike. I'm waaay beyond OCD with the bike and most everything else, i.e. John Deere, Vette, etc.. It needs to look & run like it just left the showroom floor.

Thanks to all for the input, really helpful!

I'm off to go back and visit the BRC instructor & show him the bike and thank him. I initially went into the class thinking I couldn't handle a CBR600R as a 1st bike and was resigned to getting a Ninja 250. At the end of the class he talked me out of it and encouraged me to get the CBR. I'm soooo glad he gave me that advice, I love this bike.

Hey Chuguet, I live outside of Bradenton & bought the bike over the phone from West Coast Powersports in Clearwater. They trailered it to my home.

·
Registered
104 Posts
westcoast is where i bought mine as well!! i originally was talking with motorsports of tampa and was less than pleased with their sales manager as i layed out all my research and pricing on the bike, he then tried to throw lies at me as to the cost to him of the bike. i then contacted westcoast and they were so much better, more friendly, more concerned and caring. great choice and glad to have you in the area!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, I put some old sneaks on and went out for a test ride last night. Result? Not one missed shift. I think the new boots I rushed out to buy the night before the BRC class are going to be used for yard work instead... and I'll be paying extra attention to any residual pressure on the lever after shifting. Plus, the aggresive tread pattern on the new work boots in combination with the grip pattern on the pegs prevented smoothly sliding my foot back and forth between the cruising and shifting positions.
Are these motorcycle boots? Or just heavy duty work boots? Cause I actually have the opposite problem when wearing sneakers. I miss shifts, have slow/bad shifts and just can't get comfortable unless I have my Alpinestars on. Just a matter of what you get used to, I suppose. Wouldn't trade them for the world though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Chuguet. I did the rounds via the Interwebs and West Coast seemed to have the best price. They were $7523 for an OTD of ~$8400. Haps in Sarasota (which is the closest Honda dealer to me) was advertising like a grand more and the "new" bike was listed with an odo reading of 30. So I never bothered to call. West Coast just called today to let me know they mailed out my plate already, that was fast. Did everything over the phone/fax/email and signed for the bike when they delivered it. Awesome. Let me know if you're in the area and want to cruise along the coast/keys. Siesta key and Longboat key are nice areas to ride.

Deathwish, nah they were some cheap*ss Herman work boots. I looked at the local Cyclegear shop and they didn't have much of a selection in stock. Yes, I will be investing in some Astars reeeal soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
nice, u got urs for the same price as me, but **** i had to do some serious negotiation to get that price back in january. they thru in some extra's like frame sliders at cost to them for me, but have yet to go and get them cut yet. kudos for getting it from the beginning!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Me 2 I Have Had Probs With Shifting My O9 Im Piss All That Money For A Bike That Wants To Give Probs In The First 1000miles Put On It But Now Im Wondering Becuz My Work Boots Riden 140 In 55zone Everyday Tryin 2 Beat The Sport Cars Hallen A*&^ I Might Be Rushen My Shifting Never Less Still Dnt No What The Prob Is

1 - 20 of 25 Posts