Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a "new" 2014 600rr, the dealer said the bike was a auction bike but its brand new. The odometer says 0 miles, but im sure this electronic thing can be manipulated.

The paperwork says the bike has 1 mile on it, and the ring around the key chamber is rusted. It got me thinking...

Does anyone know what an 'auction' bike is?

Also, any tips on how to really verify that the bike is indeed new and not been tempered with?

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
The rust on the key chamber is enough for me to look at a different bike. That could be indicative of rust in other places, perhaps in the fuel tank...I dunno.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
An "auction" bike could be one of a hundred different explanations but a lot of times Honda, or the very large dealers, have excess units that get "auctioned" to other dealers at certain times of the year. Or it could be a dealer in another state went out of business and his inventory was put up for "auction" by the creditor (usually Honda) to other dealers to buy. Both legit and normal auctions.

Or it could be an insurance "auction" where a dealers inventory was damaged and was written off, hence "auctioned".

Know that different dealers and climates have all different ways of "storing" their bikes, some sit outside (if the climate warrants it) of some sit indoors. Late this winter I bought a brand new '13 Kymco 150 scooter from a dealer in northern Minnesota that also carried Kawasaki. The Kymco inventory was sitting in a warehouse, his entire Kawasaki lineup was buried in a snow pile OUTSIDE next to the entrance where at the time of pickup was -25 degrees.

Not trying to scare you, but am being honest; ASK THE DEALER TO EXPLAIN. No idea why you wouldn't have done this before buying but do it NOW. More than likely it's nothing to worry about and was a bike that got a little moisture while stored, the key area is cheap stamped steel and gets slightly corroded easily, but you now own the bike, you should know it's history.

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most times i see them as left over inventory or repossessed vehicles whereby the owner could not afford payments. Rust could just be due to a long period being left outdoors(rain, seaside).

How does the bike run? Did you try asking the dealer like the others mentioned?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for the responses.

I have attached a picture to show you what I sent the dealer, still awating a response.

At the time, as the dealership explained to me before I bought the bike, was the bike was crated but it was NEW with 0 miles. I did the negotiation over the phone, as there was really nothing to see/test ride. New is new, and where they got it from didn't seem of concern to be at the time.

I called them today and got some clarification. They said they go to Honda corporate auctions and get the bikes there. There are two types of auction bikes they can get, rolling or crated. Rolling means the bike was probably on a showroom floor. This was not such a bike, it was crated. He mentioned sometimes the warehouses have alot of moisture and this could be the reason.

The bike runs fine, looks clean and new minus the rusting. I had one issue starting it, where i had to hold the throttle full open for 5 seconds before it would start, maybe priming the fuel pumps?

So i think its nothing to worry about, i really have no grounds yet to suspect otherwise that it is anything but new.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
My ignition cylinder had the same 'rust' on it. I think one exposure to rain is all it takes. Or maybe even just the moisture in the air.

Throttle pinning is a common technique to start and keep an engine lit that has not been started in a long time.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
If it has a full honda warranty than I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Recently had the hold throttle open to get bike to run issue with my girlfriends 06 after doing the plugs and filter. Now the bike is burning gas like a big block, so I'm pretty sure the fuel pressure regulator is bad. That ignition doesn't look very rusted to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts