Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members, I'm new to,the forum, been riding bikes for about 5 years, currently preparing for my first track day, im totally new and wanted to ask for feedback and advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Ask LOTS of questions. Bring everything you could imagine you might need. Even if you don't need it, it'll make you feel better knowing you brought it.

Lots of fluids starting DAYS in advance.

Did I mention ask questions? Don't know what to ask? Don't worry, grab an instructor or control rider and just start talking to them. They will figure out where you are struggling.

Take your time, don't rush anything. If you feel "rushed" slow it down.

Riders who come into those relaxed and willing to go slow advance MUCH faster than riders coming in wanting to "be fast."

Good luck, have lots of fun and ASK QUESTIONS! There is no bad or stupid question.

We've heard them ALL! Trust me! Ask away!

If you ask someone something and they give you a response but you don't understand it, let them know! Tell them you don't get it. DO NOT just yes them to death. If you try again and you still don't get it. Ask another instructor the same question. Eventually you WILL find one that thinks like you do and will be able to get you to understand it.

Oh and have fun!

and ask questions! Did I mention that already?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don't be cocky. I have only been to three track days so far but there seems to always be that one new guy that thinks he is too good to be in the beginner group.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just finished my 2nd trackday last weekend. And i second what everyone has said. Bring everything and then some.. never hurts to have too much but always a pain when ya dont have enough.. start slow.. track a few sessions to learn the track and get your bearings right..

and yes prepare to be hooked and spend money.. went to my first track day and then dropped 750 in stuff for the next one and since the weekend i spent another 300 for stuff getting ready for the next one. Way worth it tho..

most importantly, have a good time and enjoy riding with other people that share the same passion

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
A few tips and advice I can impart:

- Bring a humble attitude and leave your ego at home. Your street riding experience means squat at the track.

- There are no prizes at the track. The best way to come home from the track is to bring your bike home the same condition you brought it (meaning try not to crash).

- Listen to your instructors and do what they tell you. Everything else will follow.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Bring everything and then some.. never hurts to have too much but always a pain when ya dont have enough.. start slow.. track a few sessions to learn the track and get your bearings right..

and yes prepare to be hooked and spend money.. went to my first track day and then dropped 750 in stuff for the next one and since the weekend i spent another 300 for stuff getting ready for the next one. Way worth it tho..

most importantly, have a good time and enjoy riding with other people that share the same passion
Lots of good points in this entire thread. Yes you will spend money. I've been at it for 5 years and I'm still buying things here and there. I've mostly stopped and know what I need so I'm not carrying extra crap. I have an excel sheet with everything listed and I go by it before each trackday.

Take your time. Lots of faster guys for a few laps keep going faster then end up in the dirt. I like to go slow learn a track, learn where I can push it and then go from there. By the end of the day, you'll be passing the people who were passing you, because all they did was learn how to scare themselves into not wanting to go faster. It's a trackday, not a race. Enjoy it and you'll be back for more.

·
Registered
346 Posts
...Lots of faster guys for a few laps keep going faster then end up in the dirt...
I like to tell people that despite what you think, there is no need to "push your limits" at a trackday. At least not consciously. Just be cognoscente of how you are riding your bike and make note of all of your markers and apexes. You end up getting smoother and before you know it - much faster than you started the day.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
^^^ Couldn't agree more!

The downside to making a big mistake often far outweigh any progress made by pushing it that hard...

But I tend to be conservative by nature. I can count on one hand how many times I have crashed AND ridden off, combined. And I've been doing trackdays, coaching and racing for a little while now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts