Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

New bike breakin. What breakin.

1K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  NewRedRider 
#1 ·
I took my new 04 RR to the track yesterday for the proper new bike break in. It had 0.1 miles when the day started and 102 miles by days end. It performed flawlessly and I'm very happy with it. Anyone else break one in this way. Oh yes those stock Dunlops took a terrible beating and now I'm happy I get to replace them.

#5 ·
Wow! much more exciting than my break in. I just rolled around for a few weeks and kept the rev's down like the mfg sticker and manual said to. You didn't shred those tires in 100 miles did you....bro your gonna be spending a whole lot a jack on rubber, you know the saying"ride it like you stole it" all to well. :D

#6 ·
speedreaper said:
Wow! much more exciting than my break in. I just rolled around for a few weeks and kept the rev's down like the mfg sticker and manual said to. You didn't shred those tires in 100 miles did you....bro your gonna be spending a whole lot a jack on rubber, you know the saying"ride it like you stole it" all to well. :D
Actually I can and most likely will do one more track day on those tires. I see you also live in KS. Ever been to the track in Hallett OK????

#9 ·
Ever been to the track in Hallett OK????

Actually I am goin there this coming weekend for the CMRA races. A couple of the guys who work at my shop race, and a few of us are going to ride up and check them out. I went once last year and it was a blast. I'll probably do a track day up there in a few months too. If you are goin send me a pm and we can hook up at the track.

#10 ·
VipeR7.62 said:
Ever been to the track in Hallett OK????

Actually I am goin there this coming weekend for the CMRA races. A couple of the guys who work at my shop race, and a few of us are going to ride up and check them out. I went once last year and it was a blast. I'll probably do a track day up there in a few months too. If you are goin send me a pm and we can hook up at the track.
Ya Hallett is a blast. In fact I was there Sunday breaking the bike in. I'm hoping to make it down there next month too. I'm headed to MAM this week for another track day. Have fun this weekend.

#11 ·
Yeah that does seem like a kinda harsh break-in... I still don't get that $hit of changing the oil though before 600 miles.

Whatever works I guess.
Jason

#12 ·
Yeah that does seem like a kinda harsh break-in... I still don't get that $hit of changing the oil though before 600 miles.
You just have to see what comes out. You would change yours too.

It looks like oil colored metal flake paint with all sized flakes from tiny to 1/4 inch.

#13 ·
BackStreet said:
You just have to see what comes out. You would change yours too.

It looks like oil colored metal flake paint with all sized flakes from tiny to 1/4 inch.
I hear what you are saying but that is what oil filters are for plus I heard they use a certain type of oil to break the bike in. Yes/ No?

Jason

#14 ·
I hear what you are saying but that is what oil filters are for plus I heard they use a certain type of oil to break the bike in. Yes/ No?
Brake-in oil - the bike is filled at the dealer with whatever they use. BelRay in my case. Nothing special.

Filter - The oil pick up has a screen at the bottom so large flakes can't get through.

#15 ·
Ahhh still... The bike is ran at the factory and then ship with no oil, oil change number 1. I just don't think it needs to be done again till 600 miles. I mean changing your oil like crazy at first just seems like a waste of $$$ to me but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

No offence.
Jason

#17 ·
this has nothing to do with this post but since were all on the oil subject, i have 2500 Miles on my bike and im not sure when the oil was changed last cause i got it used, should i use a certain type of oil?

#18 ·
Visitor Q said:
Ahhh still... The bike is ran at the factory and then ship with no oil, oil change number 1. I just don't think it needs to be done again till 600 miles. I mean changing your oil like crazy at first just seems like a waste of $$$ to me but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

No offence.
Jason
Dealer threw in the oil and the filter. No extra money spent for me.

#19 ·
parapuke said:
Visitor Q said:

No offence.
Jason
Dealer threw in the oil and the filter. No extra money spent for me.
Free, ok I'm cool with that!

Jason

#20 ·
Pissing your warranty away!

If you value your warranty you will follow what the manufacturer says on this subject.

There is a breakin peroid for EVERY motor built. Car, plane, boat, ...whatever. The next time your at the motorcycle shop pick up a bottle of HONDA SYNTHETIC motor oil. On the back it reads that this oil can be used even "...during breakin periods". Don't let anyone tell you that the breakin period is a myth. The breakin period is basically the time it takes the rings to seat to the pistons. That's why they don't want you to accelerate too quickly as this will expand the grooves the rings are sitting in on the pistons.

Also, if Honda elects to tear down your motor they CAN tell how the bike was treated during the breakin period. Some people think that if they ride the bike hard during the breakin period that it makes it run faster. This is a myth! The bottom line is this. The better the rings seat to the pistions the more compression you get. More compression means more HP.

You can build 20 identical motors and get 20 different power curves. The lesson is trying to get the most out of your motor by listening to the manufacturer!!! They have everyone on experience here!

Good Luck,

Tim

#21 ·
Re: Pissing your warranty away!

NewRedRider said:
If you value your warranty you will follow what the manufacturer says on this subject.

There is a breakin peroid for EVERY motor built. Car, plane, boat, ...whatever. The next time your at the motorcycle shop pick up a bottle of HONDA SYNTHETIC motor oil. On the back it reads that this oil can be used even "...during breakin periods". Don't let anyone tell you that the breakin period is a myth. The breakin period is basically the time it takes the rings to seat to the pistons. That's why they don't want you to accelerate too quickly as this will expand the grooves the rings are sitting in on the pistons.

Also, if Honda elects to tear down your motor they CAN tell how the bike was treated during the breakin period. Some people think that if they ride the bike hard during the breakin period that it makes it run faster. This is a myth! The bottom line is this. The better the rings seat to the pistions the more compression you get. More compression means more HP.

You can build 20 identical motors and get 20 different power curves. The lesson is trying to get the most out of your motor by listening to the manufacturer!!! They have everyone on experience here!

Good Luck,

Tim
No problems yet. I've done this with the past four bikes I've owned. Put atleast 12,000 miles on each of them, then I usually get a new one. As for the ring seat to the pistons that has already happened. Honda runs these from the factory. I start the bike bring it up to full temp and then off I go. I did two track days (just over 200 miles) before the bike ever hit the street. Of course the oil and filter were changed after 50 miles. I agree with getting a good ring seat equals more hp, but with today's cylinder walls the rings seat much earlier than yesterday's machine. I'm not worried about my warranty. This is the fifth Honda I've owned and no problems with warranty yet. My dealer has always taken care of me. Just my two cents.

#23 ·
You guys are SOOOOOO impatient!

parapuke, I respectfully disagree with your feeling that the rings are already seated from the factory. The factory runs a bench test on the motor. A couple of runs from 1300-15,000rpm doesn't do the trick. It takes time. Hence the break-in "PERIOD". They don't put 150-200lbs on the bike and ride it around town. That kind of load is much harder on the rings. If the rings were already seated why do they put a whole section in our owners manual for the break-in period? Obvoiusly your way can be done but it would take double blind test of 200 bikes or more to find out which one would be better for the bike.

My point is this; IF you ever have a problem and you've failed to follow the break-in recommendations from Honda, you won't have a leg to stand on. And parapuke, you know as well as I do if you had to take your bike to Honda they would KNOW that you've put it on the track just from the overall wear on the bike. Right? So I guess it all boils down to how much money you have and if you can afford to be your own warranty department. And I think that's what these new riders need to be aware of! Whether it's right or wrong, they need to know the risks involved if they decide to dog the $h!t out of it from day one.

Here's another thing....It's only 600 miles!!!. That's 2 or 3 good rides, you change the oil and filter and your done! What's so hard about that. You people have got to show more patience then that! Good luck to you all and I hope no one has any warranty issues.

Tim

#24 ·
I've been told by several well known motorcycle engine tuners/builders in the Colorado/ Wyoming area that engines broke in hard get better horse power. This is from people who have been in the business for the better part of 30 years. But these are also race engines for the most part and are hardley expected to last more than two seasons before being replaced by a new model. Just my .02$

#26 ·
Re: You guys are SOOOOOO impatient!

NewRedRider said:
parapuke, I respectfully disagree with your feeling that the rings are already seated from the factory. The factory runs a bench test on the motor. A couple of runs from 1300-15,000rpm doesn't do the trick. It takes time. Hence the break-in "PERIOD". They don't put 150-200lbs on the bike and ride it around town. That kind of load is much harder on the rings. If the rings were already seated why do they put a whole section in our owners manual for the break-in period? Obvoiusly your way can be done but it would take double blind test of 200 bikes or more to find out which one would be better for the bike.

My point is this; IF you ever have a problem and you've failed to follow the break-in recommendations from Honda, you won't have a leg to stand on. And parapuke, you know as well as I do if you had to take your bike to Honda they would KNOW that you've put it on the track just from the overall wear on the bike. Right? So I guess it all boils down to how much money you have and if you can afford to be your own warranty department. And I think that's what these new riders need to be aware of! Whether it's right or wrong, they need to know the risks involved if they decide to dog the $h!t out of it from day one.

Here's another thing....It's only 600 miles!!!. That's 2 or 3 good rides, you change the oil and filter and your done! What's so hard about that. You people have got to show more patience then that! Good luck to you all and I hope no one has any warranty issues.

Tim
As for the rings seating. I didn't mean to imply they were seated at the factory. I would agree that is not correct. I meant they are seated now after 100 miles at the track. I don't need 600 miles to seat them. With the fine honing of the cylinder walls they will seat very early and it is even more critical to get them seated well. Ever torn down a new one and looked. I think you would be very surprised what you will find. Yes I have. As for the break in as stated in the Honda manual, don't you think Honda would be in a load of trouble if they stated my break in could be done. Many people could get hurt or worst yet killed. With so many non experienced riders buying bikes today, they would end up on their head by riding this hard early (non scrubbed tires and too much power for someone not accustomed to it). I am fine with you breaking your bike in your way, I'll break mine in my way. I only posted to let others know their options, not to start a war.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.