Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a new bike soon, and was wondering about a few things. Is it ok to get a new bike and just have sit in the garage over the winter without riding it much(due the the weather here in Jersey)? My garage is heated, and i'd start it up every day to let the fluids flow. Also, would it be ok to take a BRAND NEW bike, and start to mod it without break-in being done yet?..i.e..exhaust, etc...Thanks for the help.

Kyle

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
man...how much does that suck for you.

buy a new bike and then have to wait 4-5 months to ride it.

Good luck man! :???:

·
Registered
79 Posts
No you cant start a new bike and run it with out it moving b/c you wont be putting any tension on the piston rings. You have to be on it and reving it up and let it engine brake so there is ppush and pull on the piston to set the rings.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
it is ok to put mods on a bike that's not broken in, though. i've seen it done before. you just have to be sure that you break it in according to the break in period.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yeah you can do the mods before break in.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Oh! For aRe aRe said:
No you cant start a new bike and run it with out it moving b/c you wont be putting any tension on the piston rings. You have to be on it and reving it up and let it engine brake so there is ppush and pull on the piston to set the rings.

You don't mean like, sitting on it and reving it...right? Cuz I've been told that that's really bad for the bike to do if you're not gunna ride it.

Why are you gunna buy a bike just to put in your garage for the winter? Why not wait 'til after winter and buy a bike? Then you won't have to worry about all that other junk

·
Registered
79 Posts
no i mean riding the bike on the street....... sitting on the bike wont put tension on the piston. :bitchslap:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Why are you gunna buy a bike just to put in your garage for the winter? Why not wait 'til after winter and buy a bike? Then you won't have to worry about all that other junk
good question. i was wondering that myself, but for some reason... didn't ask. :bitchslap:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
you could buy the bike and let it sit in the garage during the winter and not start it.. and sit on it and make motorcycle noises with your mouth.. its all about imagination man, IMAGINATION!

·
Registered
252 Posts
LOL :spit: :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
well buying my bike a month ago, i got a sick deal on it as it was the last '04 sittin' in the shop. Cold weather = Cheap bikes.

Kyle, if you got a good deal lined up go for it dude... we'll have some decent weather before it snows.

Mod the bike.. but don't start her up during the winter without riding her... just winterize properly and hope winter goes fast for you! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you live in an area where there are actually seasons then buying a bike at the end of the riding season can save you a ton of coin especially if you buy used.

·
Registered
730 Posts
DO NOT START THE BIKE IF YOU DON"T INTEND TO RIDE IT!!! If you just start it and let it idle, you'll kill the battery and increase the chances of corrosion in the exhaust due to the fact it won't get hot enough to burn any condensation that may have built up.

Just yank the battery and stick it on a trickle charger once in awhile, put fuel stabilizer in the tank, and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Motoracer said:
I am going to be buying a new bike soon, and was wondering about a few things. Is it ok to get a new bike and just have sit in the garage over the winter without riding it much(due the the weather here in Jersey)? My garage is heated, and i'd start it up every day to let the fluids flow. Also, would it be ok to take a BRAND NEW bike, and start to mod it without break-in being done yet?..i.e..exhaust, etc...Thanks for the help.

Kyle
What do you think it's going to do in the showroom? It's going to just sit there... Like 600DubRizzle said, just put some fule stabilizer in the gas tank and call it a day...

As far as your second question, yes. however, i'm not sure about engine mods though, but definately yes for everything else...

·
Registered
221 Posts
if the bike won't be ridden for 4-5 months, Top off the tank, all liquid an minimal air in the tank, so that condensation can't build inside the tank. And gas that sits for a long time does grow bacteria in it. Thats why I never fill up at a low traffic gas station. I might put the battery on a trickle charger, too.
Running it at idle does drain the battery, and doesn't do anything for the break in. "Break in" means no wheelies, burn outs, drag strip style launchs until you get about 300 miles on it. Its believed that being nice to the bike in its virgin state helps it live longer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a stupid question.... I'm new to riding, so don't be to harsh in your replies. Why is there no tread on motorcylce tires, but there is a tread on car tires? Wouldn't a bike need to have the same grip on the road as a car? Just wondering?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sure they have tread... :bitchslap:

Why would you think they didn't? I don't know anything about track tires, but street tires def have tread.

Look it:

http://600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20836&highlight=

Ask all the questions you want dude.. just make sure you search the forums well before you post... Bugs people to re-answer the same questions... and WELCOME :bounce:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My bad, maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I know that they have tread, but the tread on these tires in comparison to car tires are totally different. It just seems like there is a hell of a lot more tread on car tires, than on bikes.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
mule-madness said:
Motoracer said:

Kyle
What do you think it's going to do in the showroom? It's going to just sit there... Like 600DubRizzle said, just put some fule stabilizer in the gas tank and call it a day...

As far as your second question, yes. however, i'm not sure about engine mods though, but definately yes for everything else...

Errr...the bikes on the show room floor aren't charged-wetted (gas, oil, etc.) So there's nothing to worry about.

I'd say you can go for it. Not even sure you'll need the stabil if your garage is heated (correct me if I'm wrong, I have yet to winterize a bike).

You can mod it before break-in. But like they said, don't run it a lot without taking it for a spin.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts