Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aight...

i dont know alot about computers at all and im looking at getting a notebook.
I want to know from you computer gurus out there what brands do you guys like the best? what is the best deal to do? I kinda know what i want but im not sure.

computer will be mostly used for internet, few games and playing movies.

im gonna get it on a deal through the computer manufacture to try and build some credit as well so ill be looking at a monthly payment on it.

im in the ballpark of say $800 or so.. i know that is pretty cheap in the notebook field but again i dont need this computer to run a ton of stuff.. mostly internet and a game or 2.. i dont need to print from it or use a scanner or anything of that nature at all either.

let me know asap guys as im looking to buy right now.

thanks..

·
Registered
237 Posts
However you could get a Mac Mini for 500 to 600 which will do all that you have listed above and is a kicka** cpu. My school just got four and they run flawlessly. However, they are portable, like a notebook...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doubt you'll be gettin an apple in the $600 range (new). My suggestion is Dell. Dell delivers pretty good quality vs price ration.

If you beat the **** out of laptops like I do then be forwarned that any one you get will start falling apart. ibm thinkpads ( I hate em ) but they are relatively sturdy machines. They work. Dells (especialy the new ones) are my favorite becuase they are relatively easy to work on, easy to upgrade, are relatively cheap, and throw out decent quality. YOu can get one that'll play dvd's, surf the net, and all that good crap for the $600 range easy. Dunno about brand new tho'. you'll be cuttin it close. 7-8 would be a better budget for a new dell laptop.

Another thing you might keep in mind is 128 megs of ram blows. 258 is AAALMOST acceptible for everyday use. You might get hurt playin movies (DVDs). 512 will definately be healthy especialy when your playing them DVD's. Ram is an easy & relatively cheap upgrade. Keep it in mind.

Since I havn't bought any 'new' dells for a year or so I don't know if their still doing this but keep in mind you m ight want to get one with dual battery accessory slots in the front. I remember recent latitudes were like this. isntead of having the dvd player in there you could toss another battery in for twice the longevity in the field. Super upgrade especialy if you catch a killer deal an untested lot of batteries on ebay for udner $50. usualy you can pull a good few out of it. Healthy props.

thats just my opinion. I'm biased I guess. I can go through laptops like candy and have ended up enjoying dells short of their ability fall apart under a rigorus beating.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Running a printer and scanner aren't your problems. Depending on the game is where you are going to have trouble in that price range. You're probably looking at celeron processors in the 800 dollar price range and they aren't going to be powerful enough to run most games without some lag.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry for the hacked typing. *256.

Don't wanna pull you from mac though. If your going to shell out bucks for a mac do it. Especialy those cute titanium ones! I havn't been able to destroy one of those with my average rigorus beating I give to all the laptops I use. Macs rock. just prepare for 0 compatibility and be extatic when you do find software for the application you were interested in and you'll be gold. Just keep in mind if you do manage to break or wanna upgrade something your going to pay for it. hehe.

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im looking at the Dell Inspiron's right now..

seem to be a good price range at about $800..
ive only heard good things about them as well..
and you can get them for like $30 a month it says.

so i think that is a good option.. for $800 it comes with 512MB of memory and a 40GB hard drive..

·
Registered
541 Posts
GA_RR said:
Running a printer and scanner aren't your problems. Depending on the game is where you are going to have trouble in that price range. You're probably looking at celeron processors in the 800 dollar price range and they aren't going to be powerful enough to run most games without some lag.
The new mobile processors are rockin pretty strong. Don't buy a laptop expecting to play doom3, battlefield, the new half life, etc. No laptop is going to play that crap unless you get one specificly for that. i think alienware makes some decent once if ya wanna **** your pants at the cost. www.alienware.com I believe.

I'd argue the rest though. Laptops will play most games. Just do your best to avoid high resolution first person shooters and your good. I still got an older latitude on a 750mhz mobile celeron processor and it still rocks everything short of the high graphic first person shooters. hehe.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
As for Dell I just got a Inspirion 6000 recently. It'll do most of what you want for around 800-900 except play games. I got mine for about 825 I think. 15" widescreen, 512 RAM, 60gig hard drive, celeron processor operating at 1.3ghz.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I keep getting confused when you guys claim laptops won't play games. Other then the fact I wouldn't want to play a game with a touch pad mouse or one of them nasty thinkpad style erasers. I havn't had a lick of trouble playing games on many of my laptops. Maybe I'm just behind times on the gaming scene.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Liquid said:
I keep getting confused when you guys claim laptops won't play games. Other then the fact I wouldn't want to play a game with a touch pad mouse or one of them nasty thinkpad style erasers. I havn't had a lick of trouble playing games on many of my laptops. Maybe I'm just behind times on the gaming scene.
I'm sorry. Yeah, you're right. When I think about games I'm thinking about most of the new FPS games though. I don't play any games on computers myself....stick to Xbox and PS2. I've just read so much about needing a high powered computer to play most modern games that I don't think of a celeron processor or a computer with less than a gig of memory plus a video card with on board memory being a viable option for gaming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts