Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got home to work today and saw this...

Then i saw the OTHER part :(

all i can think of is the bolts must of been gone since i bought it and today the weld gave. (over a year of riding)

So new exhaust or get it re-weld?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Take it as a sign or a reason to get a new exhaust. I love it when things break, especially electronics, so it gives me a reason to buy the latest tech toy.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would say re-weld and find a bolt. A year of riding on the stock exhaust and you have not changed out tells me you are happy with the exhaust the way it is.

Save the extra money and do a different mod or buy some new gear. New gear makes it like your birthday or christmas when it shows up at your door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say re-weld as well. Tig would be best but im sure it can be mig welded. As posted above do you really need a new exhaust? If not getting that rewelded will be a very CHEAP and easy fix.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
i wonder if that would be a parts defect covered under warranty?

D

·
0 Posts
i wonder if that would be a parts defect covered under warranty?
Probably not.

No heat shield means the OP took the exhaust off at some point. The missing screws that mount it to the subframe show either a lack of maintenance, or the improper installation of the muffler. The weld wouldn't have broken if the muffler was properly attached.

I say reweld it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That is going to have to be TIG welded and can average around $100 because not everyone does it and takes a long time for the welder. But if you want to keep the stock sound then have it welded.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Are you the original owner of the bike? I’m curious why the heat shield would be missing with a factory exhaust.
I’m about to take the factory system off of my 09. If it will fit and you want it let me know.

The only way to correctly repair that is to TIG weld it and reinstall both screws with locktight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the input guys! No i am not the original owner. I bought the bike off a guy from here. When i bought it the heat shield was already off so he must of forgot to put those bolts back in when putting it back together. I am just glad that it didnt happen this weekend i was out hitting twisties it could of been pretty bad had it broke nearly and i didnt notice...

I was seriously considering welding it, my father in law has a welder just not sure what type. He is decent at it but no professional, i think he could of got the job done though. But a fellow member here TJ from ridersdiscount.com hooked me up with a KILLER deal on an Akrapovic slip on. I had messaged him a few days ago asking about a price quote on the exhaust. I had planned to buy it in the future and wanted to know how much i would need to save. He had it on a great sale price (that ended today) and i went ahead and grabbed it.

On a side note i cant say enough about TJ he has gotten me some amazing deals that no one else has come close too. If your looking for something i would absolutely recommend him, he is a great guy and gives great customer service.

Now the questions is what to do with the old pipe?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Now the questions is what to do with the old pipe?
Just keep it... never hurts to have spare parts. Or you could always give ebay a shot. But every1 has theirs posted trying to sale it. Which is hard because no1 is switching stock exhaust for stock.:retard: So I say keep it. And if you decide to sale the bike later... reinstall it and sale the aftermark separte. You will get more money that way. We'll thats if the buyer is smart.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
there is no reason why that would HAVE to be TIG welded. a mig or even oxy acetylene would work just fine.
I agree, I used to weld and recently quit over the past 4 months. a mig welder would work fine if set low. tig is the choice for exhausts usually, it works great on the thin stainless steel walls on mid pipes and exhaust cans without using too much heat.
however the use of oxygen and acetylene even with filler rod would be a poor choice. I'll explain why it would be difficult to do (when it shouldn't be). it would take twice if not three times longer than a tig or mig welder would. there is a very large chance that when the metal starts getting to temperature and forms a puddle that it would burn right through the exhaust regardless of the amount of oxygen used, just because the piping is too thin and would need to get at a certain temp to form a workable puddle. you must have an accurate temp before adding filler rod, otherwise the bond will be extremely weak when attaching that hanger and your puddle will have so much cold lap that didn't fuse with the exhaust and hanger. if not enough filler rod was used, the weld bead would concave and most likely burn through it. it could be done, but it would be a poor choice and very inefficient.

D

·
0 Posts
Even stick welding will do, if it were stainless steel.

All of the stock exhaust is galvanized steel. Even if it was stainless steel, any weldor worth their weight could weld stainless steel with a stick welder.

Hell, if the OP was close to me, I'd weld it up for free. Would only take about a minute including prepping the pipe and bracket.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybe i will reweld it and hold on until i sell the bike...

any of you guys know if the akra will come with those bolts that were missing? I have been trying to order them but i cant find them on any of the OEM sites, even bike bandit...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts