Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a full exhaust the the right side of the header burnt through my belly fairing... I heat wrapped that part of my header but is there anything i can also do prevent this from happening when I replace it with a new piece? Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I'm probably about to have this problem with the akra system I'm expecting except on the left, but if you've wrapped the headers, and put that heat reflective tape on the fairing, the only other thing I can think of would be to find a way to space it out further. Don't ask me how that just seems to be the only other factor.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I'm probably about to have this problem with the akra system I'm expecting except on the left, but if you've wrapped the headers, and put that heat reflective tape on the fairing, the only other thing I can think of would be to find a way to space it out further. Don't ask me how that just seems to be the only other factor.
Just an FYI with the Akrapivic there will be issues with two spots left side lower where it's curved by the kick stand and right side towards the front lower bolt ( Fairings lip ) . The left side can be solved by flipping over the lower center bolt bracket and using extra heat shield protection for the fairing on the back side and wrap some on the curved area as well same shield should be used for the right side hopefully you won't have any melting issues in addition make sure every once and a while you have a quick inspection of those areas

·
Registered
107 Posts
this seems to be a common problem. My M4 exhaust on my R6 is slowly melting my armour bodies right side fairing and my Yoshi full system on my 2012 600rr melts the hotbodies bellypan. With aftermarket bodywork you can just let it melt and fix the plastics to have a bubble that gets away from the exhaust but with stock I guess you're stuck with heat tape, heat wrap, and if it's really bad finding a new exhaust that fits better

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
OP yow, heat tape ain't gonna help that......

I would do a "cut away" very cleanly, and start considering a different exhaust.....unless you have a good TIG/MIG welder around....who could maybe reposition mounting brackets for you

or you could get some brackets/spacers and try to shim the fairing out.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Just an FYI with the Akrapivic there will be issues with two spots left side lower where it's curved by the kick stand and right side towards the front lower bolt ( Fairings lip ) . The left side can be solved by flipping over the lower center bolt bracket and using extra heat shield protection for the fairing on the back side and wrap some on the curved area as well same shield should be used for the right side hopefully you won't have any melting issues in addition make sure every once and a while you have a quick inspection of those areas
Thanks man, but there are a lot of curves lol...you talking about the pipe that heads to the muffler? Also since it's mostly stainless steel, should I wrap the whole thing till the muffler?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts