Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone picked up the recent SportRider Mag and read the article on the RC211V and the Hayden interview, they mentioned a new GP bike in 2007 to challenge the dominance of Yamaha's M1. Lighter, smaller, more power, better turn in, stability and flickability. A lot of the Honda GP riders seem to be unhappy with the current 211, although they were able to get it competitive for this season (already some good results!).

I posted because I wanted to know if anyone has heard anymore about the new 2007 GP bike. Wasn't it when the RC211V was introduced that the 600RR was shortly unveiled? Does this mean a new 600RR for 2007 then? Does this excite anyone else besides me!?!?

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
for starters, all the GP bikes are gonna be new next year, they're going to 800cc machines for '07. Yes, there will be a new 600cc machine for Honda in '07... they've always cycled in 4 year intervals for new bikes

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
well, everybody's GP bike will be new for 07, cuz they are changing the engine limit from 990 to 800cc. as far as the 211, yeah, it was the dominate bike when the 4 strokes first arrived, and is still pretty good. Rossi has made a huge difference for yamaha, both in his talent on track and his ability to aid in development. the suzuki is better this year too after changing to a completely different electornics package, overall i would say that the Honda and Yamaha are about equal with the rider making the difference.

but yeah, 07 should be pretty interesting...shake it up again....

·
Registered
97 Posts
silver05 said:
Don't remember where I read it, but I heard something about a V3 engine...

Everything I've read is that Honda just has to drop one of the cylinders off the V5 and it should be perfect motor that will be within the 800cc spec. Other manufacturers will need to come up with all new motors.

·
silent master
3,532 Posts
dfreret said:
Everything I've read is that Honda just has to drop one of the cylinders off the V5 and it should be perfect motor that will be within the 800cc spec. Other manufacturers will need to come up with all new motors.
when you drop a cylinder, its a whole new motor.

they have to retest the balance, the throw, firing order, cylinder config, and all that good shiat.

unless you're talking about disabling the 3rd cylinder, then yeah, they dont need to make a new engine, but the 3rd cylinder would be dead weight AND parasitic drag.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I found this in another thread. The 2006 bike is smaller and more compact to fit Dani Pedrosa. But it might be a precursor to the 2007 bike with the smaller motor.

Check out the larger rear rotor.

From BARF thread: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142624&perpage=15&pagenumber=68

Originally posted by oliver
My money's on that brake rotor playing an integral role in the traction control system. It probably has to be used for half the straightaway!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Oliver, Xtasie99, Rcrboy, and all. I think everyone has the right idea, but the bottom line for this rear brake set-up is . . . . .
Wheelie Prevention. So, technically, if you thought it was for traction control, or a dirt-tracker preference, you're partially correct! The little rubber band used to keep the lever up helps prevent inadvertent brake dragging - it's a cheap failsafe. The new 06 Honda is presumably smaller and more compact, to help Dani Pedrosa, and one of the results is a tendency to Wheelie. A lot. Nicky is using the rear brake to help keep the front end down and this by-passes a lot of computer programming with the traction control system. He is the traction control system. The swingarm on the bike is also unique, as I haven't seen any other Honda riders using it at this point.

Tremendous thanks to the Barf community: Lonster, FiremanJim, UKtech1, 2000R6, Mr. Furious, Weak_Link, Willit, K-Dog, JRACE, and everyone else who has made a difference and helped me along the way. You know who you are
www.MotoGPOD.com - it's good for you.
we goin' internationale baby!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
"the rc211v is still a dominant bike, Rossi is just a maniac on any bike."

I'll agree to that statmenet as soon as he wins on something that had no chance of doing so to begin with. LOL Not a real huge jump to go to the next best bike and coincide that to Yamaha being willing to step up to the plate 100%. He wouldn't have won on the Ducati last year let alone half the other bikes,. but anyway

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Hayden a... That guy still riding motorcycles? ;)

Jason

·
Registered
156 Posts
By the way, as far as that Sport Rider article goes, read it again. It's not talking about the '07, it's talking about the '06.

Sport Rider and the other general mags have close to a 2 month delay from when they write a piece (test, interview, news, etc.) to when you read it on the stands. Though there'll usually be a little info there that you might not have known already, getting your industry news from them is only for those that don't have Speed Channel or access to the internet. There are other mags with a little less lag but since we all have access here, stick to checking www.superbikeplanet.com every day if you want to know what's up.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Birdman said:
"the rc211v is still a dominant bike, Rossi is just a maniac on any bike."

I'll agree to that statmenet as soon as he wins on something that had no chance of doing so to begin with. LOL Not a real huge jump to go to the next best bike and coincide that to Yamaha being willing to step up to the plate 100%. He wouldn't have won on the Ducati last year let alone half the other bikes,. but anyway
I have to completely disagree. Both Melandri and Biaggi were on the Yamaha, both had far better results on the RC than they ever did on the Yamaha. Rossi is known for riding the hell out of a bike with spent tires, which is for the most part the reasoning for the poor Ducati performance. The Ducs pull very impressive lap times while on Q's or the first portion of a race, then drop off dramatically. If it were not the assistance of Rossi and Burgess in the development of the M1, I beleive it would still be a substandard bike.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If it were not the assistance of Rossi and Burgess in the development of the M1, I beleive it would still be a substandard bike.
exactly! and that's why its not a substandard bike anymore. the 211 was on top because they got it right the first time, but you can't think that that lead would last forever. I do, however, think that Honda will get it right first again with the 800, and i don't think they will 'drop a cylinder off" -- that sounds like a short cut. Honda will have an optimized package/layout that will be better they the rest. RC212v?

·
Registered
97 Posts
panda_stunter said:
when you drop a cylinder, its a whole new motor.

they have to retest the balance, the throw, firing order, cylinder config, and all that good shiat.

unless you're talking about disabling the 3rd cylinder, then yeah, they dont need to make a new engine, but the 3rd cylinder would be dead weight AND parasitic drag.

What I meant was they wouldn't have to build it from the ground up. Honda essentially had the design nailed down and then all they would have to blueprint and balance the motor.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The huge rear rotor is exclusive to hayden. Its very large to dissapate the heat because he uses the rear brake alot. Comes from his dirt track back ground.

The anti wheelli and traction control do not apply brake at all,the reatard timing and fuel injection to prevent wheelies and wheel spin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts