Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been shopping and originally set my eyes on the 2011 honda cbr 250. But have been told many different things about it. For instence, i would get board fast and trade it in. The ridding position wont be as " supersporty" as i am looking for. Ect.
So i stepped it up to the 2010 honda cbr 600rr. Ive done all my endless days of reaserch on the science of sportbike basics and advanced stuff. Youtube'd the how too counter steer and counter sit. EVERYTHING lol so i feel good and confident. My plan is to start off slow and just let the bike do what it wants and feel out how it likes to move and slowly pick it up as i go.
My main question is. Will my size really make things difficult for me? thanks for your advice

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
no , but a modern 600 is not the best learners bike.....

your weight will not hold you back from learning, gl with whatever you decide on.....

·
Registered
351 Posts
youll be fine just take it easyand the bike dosnt have auto pilot you cant just let it do what it want to:ciao::drunk:

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
i started on the cbr600 and now commute on a cbr250. you will definitely have an advantage learning over someone like me who can only one foot the bike since you don't have to worry about falling over as much and can focus on riding. the 250 would make a great first bike (very forgiving). but i'm sure the right person could learn on anything they put their mind to

Reactions: Tylermikejonesy

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm nowhere near your size (6'4" ~200lbs), but I learned how to ride from no experience on my 600rr. As long as you respect the power of the machine you'll be fine.. Also welcome to the forum :ciao:

Reactions: Tylermikejonesy

·
Registered
502 Posts
your size shouldn't be a problem, but i would steer clear of the "let the bike do what it wants to" idea. just take it easy and show it some respect. the moment you don't, she will bite you. hard.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yup I started on a 250 ninja and sure did get board fast. U have to take the bike were u want it otherwise the results won't be so pretty I'm also about 5.9 and 130 lbs I have no problem but the fact that I can't put both feet down :). But whatever you decide ride safe gear up. Consider gear before u purchase the bike. And take it slow there is more time than life.. Good luck.

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Did you take any course. Online can be a great resource but nothing will build your confidence more than training in person, and confidence is one of the most important things to work on. Trust me when I first started I was overthinking everything even though I knew that was completely capable of what I was doing. So I took it real slow msf, then parking lots for a few weeks, then worked up to highway, then twisty backroads, now I'm commuting daily in heavy university city traffic. Also I think the whole 250 vs 600 debate never can have one true answer for every person. Try it out if you have someone willing to let you test ride (I was lucky there) if it scares the **** out of you try the 250. I tried both and felt a lot more comfortable on the 600 than I thought I would. If you dont like the riding position on the rr try the f4i its a bit more upright.
Welcome and good luck just take it slow.
:+1: on the gear also.
Also if the height is an issue for you you can have it lowered although your talking a bit more money for a starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan on taking a trainning course for sure. I think it could deffently help me out now after hearing some words of wisdom from u guys. Ive rode bikes before ( dirt bikes) and understand its nothing close to sportbikes lol. But i been raised around the science of driving and racing tho. But i wont be stupid. Thanx for the advice guys

·
Registered
250 Posts
=Tylermikejonesy;3180293 My plan is to start off slow and just let the bike do what it wants and feel out how it likes to move and slowly pick it up as i go.
You should be fine with a 600rr... yes take 1 or 2 MSF courses where they provide you with a bike. You need to know how to make the bike react to what you want it to do, not the other way around.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Height matters more than weight (in my opinion) when it comes to riding. Being able to touch the ground easily at your height is more important than your lighter weight, as long as you can manage the bike itself.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Hey bro,

Im 5'9 180 with full gear,

FIRST OFF< GET GEAR!!!! 1pc, gloves, boots, 1 pc, jacket, riding pants, HELMET

you will be on your tippy toes for a while, until your legs get the strength,

and NEVER let the bike do what it wants to do, these bikes want to shift at 10K, they want to lean into a turn like you are falling face forward,

they want to go fast, they want to shift and pick up 10mph,

our bikes want blood, the roads or ours, it feeds off of it,

take it easy for the first few months, learn throttle control cause the 600rr, can be jerky in 1st, scaring newbs of being bucked, hahaha,

learn to brake and control your braking, control the slide of the rear as you shift into 1st from a downshift,

learn to shift without the clutch,

recap,

GEAR UP!!!!

our bikes our dangerous to themselves and us, KEEP IT IN CHECK

LEARN THROTTLE CONTROL and how to be smooth

LEARN TO BRAKE!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY IT!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im sure we all can agree taking an MSF course is good advice.

I started on a ninja 250r. It is true it gets boring fast, but I believe if I started on a 600 I would have wiped or dropped the bike at least once. Mistakes on a 600 are less forgiving.
Ultimately it is your choice what you want to start with.

I am 5' 6" 140 lbs and feel comfortable riding 600rr stock height. I cant put both feet flat on the ground but I have had enough experience riding my little ninja 250r to know what do look out for and expect when stopping. Example: uneven ground height

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.