Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
That's definitely the route I'm going to go. Do you think that budget setup would be comparable to an cart kit? The more I talk w you about it the more this is starting to all make sense. I'll start searching around a little bit on lunch. Really if I can get by on these for the rest of the season for 600 or less for comparable performance I'm in
The Ohlins cartridge kit that was available for our bikes was a 25mm unit, the main advantage was the added fork travel & length which would add more adjustability in regards to trail. They cost $1200+ back in the day & I saw them selling used for $600+ including the forks. I couldn't find one anymore so the Ohlins 20mm FPK is the next best thing, I tried to emulate the Ohlins cartridge kit by adapting cartridges from another 600RR which resulted in an experimental fork. I have yet to test it but in case the results aren't satisfactory I still have my old set of forks with reshimmed HMAS carts, 9.5N springs but I can tell you that I've raced against modern 1000's on the track with Ohlins suspension & I still outbrake & outcorner them. Like I said, a well sorted conventional fork can still perform at par with the USD & cartridge equipped 600's in recent years.

It's what's inside the forks that count. 馃槈

Reactions: Chasingstatuszx10r

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm back! So I ordered some smaller **** and got lucky with some bigger items. I'm in the process of putting a spread sheet together price wise for this bike for at least the first "build". Galfer ss lines front and rear for around 150 bucks, some new domino grips. About to buy a suit and the fpk kit for the front forks. I'm going to try my hand at building them. I'm sure it will be tedious, as soon as I'm done I'll second guess my shimming or something. Anyways I won a ebay auction for a brand new to me 05-06 swing arm for a whopping 35 dollars. I was really just being cheap and waiting out a 100 purchase but figured if I can win this I can justify the price to my already angry ol lady since I just spent quite a bit on a suit, gloves, and new boots.馃榿 Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. So now looking for a brake caliper bracket, spacers for wheels I'd assume are different as the rear axle and I need the axle blocks also I think. I'm sure I'll find the entire lot for like 40 bucks. I have a few customer bikes I'm doing on the side so I think that will my suspension money. On a side note, the bike runs great. Next track day is the 17th. Also, got my track day prices down to 75 dollars with a private group....who knew.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, those Ohlins 20mm Fork Piston Kits retail for around $300 a set, they're pretty easy to install, I can guide you through it.

The Ohlins fork spring kit only has the 9.0N spring available which is still a bit soft for your weight, K-Tech has 9.0 & 9.5 fork springs available but get the 9.5N (part # 40-250-95). Orient Express sells K-Tech in the USA, try calling them first.

Another alternative is to use a stock fork springs from the 08 CBR1000RR which are 10.4N & cut the spacers to accomodate the shorter length of the fork springs which is what I have done, should be plenty on eBay for used ones.
Any chance you could point me in the right direction to find rear shocks? Everywhere I look they are discontinued. I found this. I'd obviously have it rebuilt over winter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok so I pulled the trigger on a triple adjustable Penske 8783. I won't see it for a month and a half but I'm excited. I'm also planning on doing everything else aside from race fairings until I can afford them. I did manage to paint the wheels and get some 45mm clip ons on the bike. I sold my SV and plan to exclusively building this. I'm thinking I'm going to build the front forks. I'm trying to figure out what the best bet for building the forks. I've been looking at racetech .95k springs and their fpk kit. I don't know which kit to buy though. I'll include the kits below in a pic. Any info is appreciated as I'm still learning the suspension game. I'd like to go the ohlins route but it's just easier to get the racetech. Looking to buy some slicks, vortex rear sets, quickshifter, the expansion module. I'm waiting on my pc5 now. After I dial the bikes bones in I'll build a 06 head and buy a race body.

Attachments

Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
Ok so I pulled the trigger on a triple adjustable Penske 8783. I won't see it for a month and a half but I'm excited. I'm also planning on doing everything else aside from race fairings until I can afford them. I did manage to paint the wheels and get some 45mm clip ons on the bike. I sold my SV and plan to exclusively building this. I'm thinking I'm going to build the front forks. I'm trying to figure out what the best bet for building the forks. I've been looking at racetech .95k springs and their fpk kit. I don't know which kit to buy though. I'll include the kits below in a pic. Any info is appreciated as I'm still learning the suspension game. I'd like to go the ohlins route but it's just easier to get the racetech. Looking to buy some slicks, vortex rear sets, quickshifter, the expansion module. I'm waiting on my pc5 now. After I dial the bikes bones in I'll build a 06 head and buy a race body.
Does the Penske shock have a user manual? I'd usually start at the middle setting, count how many clicks from fully closed to fully open on all the damping adjusters then set it at the middle as a baseline for tuning.

As for the springs & FPK I'm much more familiar with Ohlins but each brand & design favors a certain track condition, a bumpy track would want a compression piston with bigger holes & a smoother track would favor smaller holes. Too many factors to consider & list here but at this point you probably won't notice the difference between Ohlins & Racetech valve. Both are much better than stock when built & setup correctly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Does the Penske shock have a user manual? I'd usually start at the middle setting, count how many clicks from fully closed to fully open on all the damping adjusters then set it at the middle as a baseline for tuning.

As for the springs & FPK I'm much more familiar with Ohlins but each brand & design favors a certain track condition, a bumpy track would want a compression piston with bigger holes & a smoother track would favor smaller holes. Too many factors to consider & list here but at this point you probably won't notice the difference between Ohlins & Racetech valve. Both are much better than stock when built & setup correctly.
Yeah I just ordered the parts I need for the forks. I'm just having someone set it all up for me and he's going to teach me like a crash course on the suspension. I am going after I receive the rear shock so.he can set the entire suspension up for me. I also just ordered a ton of random stuff like vortex rear sets, power commander, quickshifter, new Michelin slicks, a RC51 marchescini front wheel ( in the process of fitting it), the front forks being built with all racetech components. Next year I'll continue cutting weight as much as possible and build a 05-06 race head. If I stay with the current project that is. I have added a bunch random stuff like vortex clip ons, new front rotors, galfer SS lines, woodcraft key eliminated,new rear rotor.

Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
You're forgetting the slipper clutch & quickshifter, both units that's lacking in our bike, you can't do rapid downshifts without the SC, I highly recommend EVR, that's what I've been using for years, less moving parts to wear & easy to set up. You'll need to replace one of the clutch plates as you no longer need the judder spring & plate.

As for the quickshifter get HM Plus, programmable sensitivity, kill times & direction. Once you have both you won't ever ride without them.

As for the ECU look around for a HRC AMA spec ECU for the 03-04, it should be compatible with the USDM wiring harness & it has a higher rev limit (15500 rpm). The PCV will help you tune the fuel mapping but you won't have access to the shift light, ignition timing, injector balance maps without the HRC USB cable. You might have to re-pin the wires for the HRC ECU to get the shift light working.

Reactions: tary preisser

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'll start looking around today for one. In other news tons of parts are already showing up. My quickshifter, suspension, vortex rear sets all coming in today. Yesterday I highsided around 70 mph in expert/intermediate. Yay me because I'm moving up so fast but there was a price to pay and I learned it yesterday. Definitely humbled me I'm glad I walked away with just a minor concussion and some serious bruising all over. But it happens I expected to go down I was out riding the stock suspension and the shitty pilot power ct2s I was rocking until I got my slicks in. I'm sure there was some Rider error as well like too much throttle. The bike didn't get too messed up and thankfully all the parts that I'm replacing are already on a track build list. I'll link the video so you can laugh at my misfortune. 馃槀 I'm glad I walked away I was pretty much knocked out asking about the bike six or seven times in a row. Trying to refuse getting in the ambulance. Thank God these people are so cool at my home track.

Attachments

21 - 29 of 29 Posts