Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Should I get a new bike or used bike?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting closer and closer to finally purchasing my own first bike. I've been reading up on the board a lot about how a lot of you experienced riders stated that a person should always start out with a used bike for practice and being able to ride freely without really worrying about dropping the bike. And another good amount of people said that in their opinion it's better to get new, now I know there's a lot of threads similar to this topic but just wanted to get a general feel on what everything thinks about my future purchase whether it be new or used. Keep in mind I have a good amount of riding experience already with newer Gixxer's/600RR's, the first bike I've ever driven was a blue '07 600RR so flame on...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I know this is unrelated to the topic and doesn't really help but riding is in my blood... My father had a bike, and his father had a bike, and so on...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
since you already have had time riding other 600's then I say theres no problem with getting a new rr. For someone still starting out, no way

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since you already have had time riding other 600's then I say theres no problem with getting a new rr. For someone still starting out, no way
Yeah that's what I think too but others might feel differently about it. Compared to the R6, GSX-R 600, the 600RR by far was the best feeling bike I've driven.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd say go for a used bike.

Not only do I say that from the perspective of a potential dropping of the bike but also because you are likely to save yourself some dollars by going used.

The 07 & 08's are identical and the 09 looks to be similar if somewhat different.

D

·
0 Posts
I say used... just look around, I'm sure you can find a nice used 07 for a decent price now.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I saw some '07's going for $6-8k at most...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just wait till the 09 hits the showrooms, then the people who insist on having the latest of everything will lower the demand for the used 07-08's and make it cheaper for you to get one.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Since you have some experience, you could get a used 07-08 for like 6-7500 with less than 3k miles. Buying a bike brand new off the showroom floor is just a waste of extra money. My friend got completely ripped off and bought an 08 brand new right when they came out, and paid near 14k otd. I don't even know how that's possible, but he did.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wait till the 09 hits the showrooms, then the people who insist on having the latest of everything will lower the demand for the used 07-08's and make it cheaper for you to get one.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, cause there's still alot of brand new 08's left in the showrooms and I kinda know a guy that works at a dealership so maybe he'd help me out a little on the price. I am the type of guy that loves getting new things because I grew up broke but now that I'm making good money figured might as well spoil myself. But at the same time if I could come across a clean/used 07-08 then I'll definitely jump on it...

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Since you have some experience, you could get a used 07-08 for like 6-7500 with less than 3k miles. Buying a bike brand new off the showroom floor is just a waste of extra money. My friend got completely ripped off and bought an 08 brand new right when they came out, and paid near 14k otd. I don't even know how that's possible, but he did.
exactly what i was gonna say. Save urself some money and put it on gear and mods. Stealerships are just gonna rape u on a new bike.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright maybe that's what I'll do... I'll look for a clean '06-07 used bikes... Or if they have an '08 on clearance that could be a possibility as well.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well look's like I might be getting a used '05 600RR.:laughing5

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Buy it used. I saw an 08 w/ 900 miles at a wholesaler today. It had a slip on and fender eliminator. Price? 7500. I bet if I go look in 2 months, that will be 6500. No one is buying bikes right now. So, if you can hold off the urge for a few months, a used bike is going to get really cheap compared to a new 09. Also, most riders say that they ride, not drive when talking about bikes.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahaha thanks a lot for all the feedbacks guys but I picked up an '04 600RR off of a fellow board member, and it actually came with a goodies so once again all the thoughts were appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would say new becuase you never know what someone else did to their bike. A lot of people will try to rip you off with a salvage bike. If you absolutely know what you are doing, then you can save a bit of money buying used.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The only problem with buying cars or bikes brand new is the depreciation.
You can always find a new model year with super low miles if you look around, or find mint unmolested older models that have been babied by the previous owner.
I bought both my truck and bike used, minty, bone stock, and for a good deal for my area. I got super lucky on both. ...And I saved a bundle by switching to Geico...

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
If you want a new(er) bike I would simply go with a used 07, there are some good deals out there!

Their loss is your gain!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already picked up a used/clean '04 600RR guys, thanks for the feedback.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts