Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 2 months since I got my 2007 CBR600, my first bike (with a motor)

So far, have ridden 2500 miles, every single one of them a blast

When I first started out, I probably wasn't used to the riding position, plus I likely wasn't holding proper form. Now I can ride 2-3 hrs without getting numb hands or too uncomfortable.

When I first got the bike, it felt really big - now it feels just right, easy to corner and handle. Very glad I didn't get anything smaller as a starter bike! I'm already daydreaming about a CBR1000 or some other exotic bikes.

I'm curious how many expert riders out there actually spend time specifically working on skills like cornering, etc - by doing drills or riding a twisty road over and over again? Are there some particular drills that are useful in doing that can speed up the learning process?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I first got the bike, it felt really big - now it feels just right, easy to corner and handle. Very glad I didn't get anything smaller as a starter bike! I'm already daydreaming about a CBR1000 or some other exotic bikes.
Yeah I hear that. A buddy of mine picked up his first bike (a Ninja 250, '07 I think) about a month ago, and he's already lookin at trading it in toward a 600.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
well ur probably going to get a couple responses that say "don't speed the process up do everything at your own pace and if you really feel the need to hone your skills go to a track" I'm not expert myself but I'd say find some nice back roads and tear em up! Along with that find a parking lot of nice big space where you can practice maximum braking. What good is speed and cornering if you can't avoid that one obstacle you have to brake to avoid? Good luck and be safe

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I started on a Ninja 650 (a different bike altogether) but it was fun as hell. If i could have kept it and the CBR i just might have.

I know what you mean when you say it felt large at first; as I know I almost feel like it become an extension of me when I mount it now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Whatever you do, just keep your cool and don't ride beyond your abilities. Riding is fun, but always make sure you are responsible in terms of caring for the bike and for yourself (gear). Check out the Maintenance section for tips on maintaining your ride. Buy yourself a shop manual (about $30 or free in PDF, ask around) so you can save money on doing maintenance and repairs on your own.
Every time I leave to go ride I remember what someone here said: "Dress for the crash, not for the ride". I'm not trying to be gear nazi or anything but, if you do go down, you'll want some leather to take the brunt of the fall, not your skin.

·
Registered
105 Posts
well ur probably going to get a couple responses that say "don't speed the process up do everything at your own pace and if you really feel the need to hone your skills go to a track" I'm not expert myself but I'd say find some nice back roads and tear em up! Along with that find a parking lot of nice big space where you can practice maximum braking. What good is speed and cornering if you can't avoid that one obstacle you have to brake to avoid? Good luck and be safe

+1. Work on your braking before hand.

·
Registered
580 Posts
get to a good few turns through a pass and ride it up and down. slow at first to make sure there isn't any debris around and then increase your speed by 10km/h through the turns every few days, or once a week rather to stay safe, but only speed up once you are completely at ease with your current speed. Don't rush things else you'll realize it when you're running wide into the oncoming lane!
but do take things easy because two months is still new and although you feel comfortable now, in another 3 months time you'll look back and realize how little you know now..and 3 months after that and 3 months after that....
enjoy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Like everyone said...don't rush things

I took a year and a half off from riding (not my choice), and only now after a month and 1000 miles am I starting to feel comfortable again. I'm still not where I used to be, but I definitely feel myself every ride becoming more and more comfortable with the man to machine to road connection.

As a technical advancement part, I always found the trickiest thing to do smoothly and safely was to transition from leaning hard to upright to back down to the other side fast when you have a turn in the other direction coming up right ahead. I push the limits very slowly with a long stick though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts