Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to riding and my 2007 CBR is my first bike.

I wanted to get a level set on expectations for riding and fatigue.

First I'm a very fit athletic type, good strength and aerobic endurance.

Even though I focus on gripping the tank with my legs, not putting weight on the bars, balls of feet on pegs, etc - I find that after an hour or so I'm getting some hand fatigue/numbness, a little crotch numbness (just a little) and overall fatigue.

Is this normal? Do you eventually get used to riding and be able to go longer? Or is it a function of bike geometry vs body type?

Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes. I am a new rider as well. My first ride was hell! You eventually get used to the seating position and the weight on the hands. The biggest problem I had was the back of my neck, but from riding a lot more I have been able to position myself on the bike where it does not bother me that much anymore. On my first and second rides my hands ached and cramped like crazy. Now, I am not so tense on the bike and I can enjoy it much much more.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the same problem for the first week, only avg'd about a hour riding time before hands went numb. I am up to about 2 hours now, usually if it starts happening I just sit farther back, straighten my arm so theres not so much pressure, or grip tank more with legs so I can lean back.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't think aerobic endurance has any correlation to fatigue when cruising on a bike. I've found that riding longer distances is easier the more I do it. The only thing that actually bothers me is my left ankle. It's not too bad if I move it around every once and awhile.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
you are still gripping the grips to tight, thats the hand numbness, the nuts tigling, scoot back a bit off the tank.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
lmao... yes, scoot back on the seat unless you enjoy your nutts tingling.:crackup:

Keep a loose grip on the handle bars and use more of your mid-section/legs. I prefer to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. For me, this prevents cramping of my legs/calves, plus sometimes I get giddy and I sorta click the heals of my boots when I ride.

I also tend to ride with one hand on my lap a lot, unless in heavy traffic. Then I am riding defensively. :cruising:

Riding tense will fatigue you very quickly, just relax and stay loose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been riding about 8 months w/ 4k miles now, I don't get so much arm or neck numbs, but I get back pain almost once a day... If I dun get it form the ride to work, I'll get it from the ride home...

·
Registered
352 Posts
For me, this prevents cramping of my legs/calves, plus sometimes I get giddy and I sorta click the heals of my boots when I ride.
I do same thing. :crackup: I also flap my knees against the tank to let my nut$ cool off every now and then.

·
Registered
426 Posts
honestly, after an hour, unless i'm doing a million turns, I'm ready to get off my bike. straight aways are torture, in fact most of my riding is from messing around at a local school in the middle of the night because its like a mini track going around (no cops, no deer, many turns, clean pavement, surrounded by grass/woods).

also, i find it very helpful to lift my ankles high, (kind of like making a calf muscle),lean forward, and rest my elbows on my knees on straights. idk if anyone else does this but it works great for me, although i feel stupid going 55mph and leaning like i'm in a gp race lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
After a while of riding, you'll build a new set of muscles that make riding a lot less (lack of a better word) painful.

But try engaging your abs, core strength will take pressure off the back. And loosen your grip :cruising:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tend to get low back pain. Not so much my hands. Stretching a little helps before I ride. Back ache is more common for me in the morning.

For stretches of 45 minutes or more I try to move around on the bike. Nuts on the tank, scoot back, sit up, lie on the tank, etc. That helps.

Bu lIke everyone said, the bike Is breaking me in and it is getting more and more comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts