Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this 600RR and in trying to track down nasty coolant leak from a previous accident. It's a 2004, I'm trying to figure out if this is the stock radiator setup. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add it's a Japanese market bike, not sure if that changes anything. I just need to find time to finish the tear down and see what's messed up. Then I can see what needs repaired or replaced. I believe it has a HRC oil can so I was thinking HRC radiator but it looks different in the pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Your best chance is finding codes engraved on the parts in order to indentify them...

As far as I know Jap spec bikes had the same radiator... But that bike surely has seen some track and has mods on her... Now its your turn to discover which ones!

Good luck!

PS: Buying stock bikes is less hazzle...

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
If the bike is unable to reduce it's temperature once your fan started to work then you need to flish your coolant...

I can also see that you have a lot of bent tabs on your rad... You could easily fix that with a flat screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
You could pull the rad blow the coolant out cap the entry and exit hole and submerge it in a bath tub. Air bubbles will come out of the leak. Or just replace that seems like much less hassle lol.. with the fairings off ot should be pretty easy to tell where the leak is coming from. Check the hose clamps too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good idea! I'm gonna tear it down this weekend. I already purchased a used replacement radiator but when I took one side off I noticed the mini radiator on the bottom and thought, hmmm that different.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I would start with mran's post but if you're willing to go the whole nine, have it pressure tested...if that yields no culprit then my huntch is a bad thermostat, coolant pump, maybe radiator cap, or there's a blockage in the system somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for tips gents. I removed the fairings and discovered it was leaking from the hard line on the left side. When it caught the gravel it fliped onto the left side and I assume that hard line hit the frame and bent it a little bit. Now the clamp doesn't secure the rubber hose as it should and the coolant is dripping for that connection. On a side note, the exhaust cleaned up nice. I believe the exhaust was worth what I paid for the whole bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Is that last picture you posted on the clutch side, or did it get it get mirrored somehow?

If it follows the OEM route/pattern/whatever term is applicable, I'd check into a silicone hose kit like the one I have from Samco; I have a 2010 so it may have some differences but it has fewer hoses and since they're silicone it may have absorbed that impact without damaging it...something to consider.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Moriwaki is one of the top tuners of Honda Japan......

Nevevr really seen their stuff outside of Asia.

You have more Moriwaki stuff on the bike?

was this one of their domestic market track bikes?

Good find!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has Moriwaki rear sets and all Magical Racing bodywork. It has most of the HRC upgrades as well. The guy I bought it from laid it down on the track and just wanted to get rid of everything. He also included all his extra parts, bodywork, wheels and stands.

·
BOTM Winner 07/14
996 Posts
The aluminum coolant pipe should be an easy fix. They tend to get squashed flat or into an ellipse and once they're out of round the rubber hose doesn't seal very well. Take it off and form it back into round shape again. I like to use a large tapered punch or increasingly larger sized sockets to work the pipe metal back into shape. If you are familiar with hammer and dolly technique with auto body repair it's basically the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is exactly what happened Tornado. I'm gonna try the punch technique. I'd love to get those silicone hoses but that blows the budget on this cheap track bike. Although eBay has some cheap hoses, I'm not sure on the quality of those plus I have the additional lower radiator. I really look forward to learning the ins and outs about the RR, so far this site has been awesome. Thanks everyone.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
As for tje hoses.id be very interested hows the quality of the cheaper hoses. Mad hornet makes them too theyre about 100 now thwy have a speacial on for 50 or so. I wonder if theyre any good. I had samcos on my 09 but i dont feel like investing another 300 on a track bike. I can buy two track days for that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts