Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

New to forum - CBR600RR - Help! Dead engine - scrap or repair - UK based

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Chisel 
#1 ·
Hi all, apologies in advance for the negative 1st post but i have a 2003 RR which wouldn't start although fuel pump was ok etc just span really fast on the button but wouldn't fire. Turns out cylinders 1 and 4 had 40 psi and 2 and 3 20 psi so engine pretty well toast although was running fine before. Kind've already know whats going to happen but as a last gasp bid though i would come onto the forum in the very slim hope of any advice that may save my little red beastie. As you probably already know its never easy to let a bike go esp when its economically no longer viable to repair (think i'd be lucky to get a replacement engine fitted for less than 1k) - Thanks for any advice.

#3 ·
You’ve given us little to no information, especially the history of what led up to this issue, so meaningful advice at this point is impossible to give.

How long have you had the bike? Any mods? Did it run fine the day before? Is it a street or track bike? Was it tipped, crashed, anything? Has it ever acted up? How many miles on it? How up to date maintenance wise are you? Where is it stored? Who did the compression test and what did they use?

Fuel can wash down the cylinders and make the bike lose compression, if you’ve been trying to start it and it’s flooded to hell that could be your issue. Putting a tick of oil down the cylinder can make it come back.

If you won’t help us help you, then I’d say scrap it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, had the bike 3 years, bike is totally standard and was running fine the day before and has been in regular use. Mixture of commuting and long trips to Cornwall. Rode it into the shed as per normal, went to start it the next day, fuel pump primes as normal but on the starter button the engine just span really fast, like there's nothing there and not wanting to fire. Got it down to bike shop and he did a compression test, ranged between 20 and 40 psi. Said that basically the engine is fubar and didnt recommend stripping it any further due to age and mileage (45k) plus a pedestrian 'customised' my panels a couple months back but bike hasnt been on the floor in the 3 years i've had it so its not even worth much, luckily i managed to cancel my order for new discs! Been serviced every year and never had a problem with it. Just weird how i could lose compression in all four cylinders in one go without any warning the day before - btw i'm not that mechanically minded but just seems a mystery to me.

#8 ·
I'd find another garage and get a 2nd compression test.

As others with more knowledge than I have posted above, all 4 cylinders showing very low psi is not usual.

Motor should be in almost new condition at 45K miles, if properly maintained.

It's usually a long, slow and painful trip to a burnt motor.

#9 ·
Compression test can't be right. To go from good to that, you'd of had to broken valves on each cylinder, seized the engine due to lack of oil, or something else horrific. No way you'd have just parked it normal and woke up with this calamity. Need a 2nd opinion (another comp test/ or leak down test). Are you sure the engine is turning, or perhaps it's just the starter turning fast?

#10 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys. I don't have any reason to doubt my mechanic, he's looked after all my bikes over the years and always has treated me as more than just a walking wallet like some dealers do. He's always had time to explain things and show if possible so has always been open, builds specials for people too.
Got the bike home now still partially dismantled and acc to invoice, 1 and 4 are 50-54psi and 2 and 3 20-25 psi. He did ask if its been on its side (which it hasnt) did mention the oil pump may've failed and possibly the rings are stuck to the piston but, i'm not doubting him i just want to understand the logic behind all 4 cylinders going at the same time. The timing chain jumping, to me with my limited knowledge, sounds logical seeing as 1 and 4 are the same and 2 and 3 are too? Or is that not possible?
Whats the difference between a compression test and a leak down test?

#11 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys. I don't have any reason to doubt my mechanic, he's looked after all my bikes over the years and always has treated me as more than just a walking wallet like some dealers do. He's always had time to explain things and show if possible so has always been open, builds specials for people too.
Got the bike home now still partially dismantled and acc to invoice, 1 and 4 are 50-54psi and 2 and 3 20-25 psi. He did ask if its been on its side (which it hasnt) did mention the oil pump may've failed and possibly the rings are stuck to the piston but, i'm not doubting him i just want to understand the logic behind all 4 cylinders going at the same time. The timing chain jumping, to me with my limited knowledge, sounds logical seeing as 1 and 4 are the same and 2 and 3 are too? Or is that not possible?
Whats the difference between a compression test and a leak down test?
This video should make it clear, although the engine is out of the bike same principles apply, Ebay sell the Leak down Testers and Compression tester if you wanted to try your self, the Leak down test is a good pointer of where to start

#16 · (Edited)
Hi all, apologies in advance for the negative 1st post but i have a 2003 RR which wouldn't start although fuel pump was reverse image search email checker port checker ok etc just span really fast on the button but wouldn't fire. Turns out cylinders 1 and 4 had 40 psi and 2 and 3 20 psi so engine pretty well toast although was running fine before. Kind've already know whats going to happen but as a last gasp bid though i would come onto the forum in the very slim hope of any advice that may save my little red beastie. As you probably already know its never easy to let a bike go esp when its economically no longer viable to repair (think i'd be lucky to get a replacement engine fitted for less than 1k) - Thanks for any advice.
Do you trust the shop? Did they do any other testing or service? Any other shops nearby?

#17 ·
On the whole, yes. At the moment its in bits in my shed as its not really worth selling and what with the lockdown as well not really needed a bike but i have been working on recommissioning my Blackbird. In time i may use the RR as a sort of learning tool as its pretty much scrap as it is. Not helped by a woman running across the road on her phone last year and smashing the nose cone, screen etc :mad:
There is another shop nearby but they wont store overnight and tbh not sure about using them.
Do miss the little 600, so much fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.