Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am new to motorcycles, and will most likely (99.999% positive) be getting a used 600rr when I buy. I was wondering if there are any things in particular I should be looking for when I look at bikes. I know some of the basics to look for (chain, sprocket, tires, leaking liquids, battery), but I know there is a lot more I should be looking for.

What would make a bike a "great buy" and what would make you want to run from it as fast as possible??

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
766 Posts
Welcome to the board. Take an MSF course. Buy all the gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. Don't skimp on the gloves. You can get a nice scorpion exo-700 helmet for around $150 online. Make sure you get the proper size or else it won't reliably protect you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am already set to take the course in VA when I move down in a week. I am very much so looking forward to it!!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Welcome to the board. Take an MSF course. Buy all the gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. Don't skimp on the gloves. You can get a nice scorpion exo-700 helmet for around $150 online. Make sure you get the proper size or else it won't reliably protect you.
to OP: what he said but make sure you go to a store and try it on first than buy it online if you are going that way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look for leaking.
Ask who did the maintenance on it.
Ask if I went to the track.
Ask to see the title-make sure it's authentic.
Bring cash-money in hand when looking.
Be able to walk away-never want it that bad.
Ride it! If it rides like crap RUN!
Track bike ware and tear-mirrors bolts being stripped-tape on the wheel weights-Hole in oil caps-fairings looking really good-maybe aftermarket.
Get it's whole story if you can. More info the better.

Bottom line if someone took care of it it'll show. Wait till winter and you can find deals. I got a used 2006rr with 9000miles for $4200 in January. I can sell if now if I wanted for an easy $5500 to $6000 in my area. not like I'm going to tho.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look for leaking.
Ask who did the maintenance on it.
Ask if I went to the track.
Ask to see the title-make sure it's authentic.
Bring cash-money in hand when looking.
Be able to walk away-never want it that bad.
Ride it! If it rides like crap RUN!
Track bike ware and tear-mirrors bolts being stripped-tape on the wheel weights-Hole in oil caps-fairings looking really good-maybe aftermarket.
Get it's whole story if you can. More info the better.

Bottom line if someone took care of it it'll show. Wait till winter and you can find deals. I got a used 2006rr with 9000miles for $4200 in January. I can sell if now if I wanted for an easy $5500 to $6000 in my area. not like I'm going to tho.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Thank you for the suggestions! I am slowly making a list of all the things I should be on the lookout for!!

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
IMO i would recommend starting out on a smaller bike than a 600rr.
I like how this was ignored. OP, you say you're new to motorcycles but you want to start off on one of the fastest 600cc motorcycles you can get? It's your money, spend it how you want but I hope you invest in full coverage insurance and good gear. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Try to find a bike that's mostly stock. Power commander, HID, misc upgrades all sound nice but if they weren't installed well it could be a nightmare to get fixed. Plus if its your first bike you dont need the extra power. Also ask the previous owner for maintenance records.

I have to disagree with jude20 a bit. I track my bike and I don't think it should reduce the value or keep buyers away. Taking it to the track is the best part of having a sport bike. Just stay away from aftermarket fairings or "custom" paint. Chances are it's been down if the bodywork has been updated/painted.
Look for scratches on the frame, swingarm, or engine cover. If it looks shady then just walk away..no matter how "cool" the guy might seem.
The best peice if advice is to be ready to walk away if anything doesnt seem right. Buying a new bike is exciting lots of people just want to buy the bike and will let the little things go. Only to find out that they werent so little.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got my '07 (first bike as well) last year for $5700. If you can wait, get it in the fall. People will be selling bikes since it's out of season and they'll be cheaper.

I started on my RR as my first bike as well, it can be done. Pay attention in the class. The only way that bike is going over the speed limit is if you twist your wrist. Respect it and the law and you'll be fine.

Get proper gear. Read everything you can on here.

I was looking for a more recent thread for you but I couldn't find the one I had in mind. I think it's stickied somewhere.. Anyway see here:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showpost.php?p=3107160&postcount=10

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like how this was ignored. OP, you say you're new to motorcycles but you want to start off on one of the fastest 600cc motorcycles you can get? It's your money, spend it how you want but I hope you invest in full coverage insurance and good gear. Good luck.
It wasn't ignored lol. I have just heard both sides of that. Some people have suggested other bikes that actually have more low end torque... But I want a bike that doesn't have a lot of L.E.T. I would rather it has less lower end power so after a year of riding I can then start to learn to use the higher end power that it has on tap.

·
Registered
209 Posts
to OP: what he said but make sure you go to a store and try it on first than buy it online if you are going that way.
i hate you... everytime i look at one of ur post, i freeze for a sec and stare at that short video of the chick dancing... lol

to OP most people will tell u dont get a 600rr for ur first bike, they are fast and touchy on the throttle, here is what i say on to you keep her under 7k rpms when ur learning how to drive her, once ur ok with how she feels then do as u please.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i hate you... everytime i look at one of ur post, i freeze for a sec and stare at that short video of the chick dancing... lol

to OP most people will tell u dont get a 600rr for ur first bike, they are fast and touchy on the throttle, here is what i say on to you keep her under 7k rpms when ur learning how to drive her, once ur ok with how she feels then do as u please.
Melanie Iglesias is a goddess.

Also quoted for the truth of the second comment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts