Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I read the FAQ about getting a furst bike but I had a question about how many CC's would be god for a biginner. I know this isnt a Suzuki forum ( mabye you guys know of a good one? ) but i was thinking of a GSXR600 because it felt the most comfortable to me and I like the looks of it. Do you think this would be an acceptable bike if I get all the right gear and take the Safety class (cant remmber the name, but it was in the FAQ )? Any suggestions?

P.S. I love your guys pictures of your ladies. They look beatiful. LOL.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Maybe a ex500 or something similar would be good for ya. But hey, the RR can be a good starter bike too.......if your a natural and maybe have some dirt bike experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YA I can drive stick in a car if thats what your asking. The problem with getting a smaller bike is that I will undoubtly want a bigger bike and I am going back to college in the fall (im 19) and bikes aint cheap.. Also I dont have really any dirt bike riding experience. The last time I road is on My little Kawasaki 50..

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you have no experience at all, I'd say get a 250 or maybe a 500. If you've got to have something bigger, go with something that's still a lot more user friendly than a repliracer (600rr, gsxr600, zx-6, r6). There are several 600 class bike that are not as difficult to ride, such as the cbr600f4i, yzf600r, katana 600, sv650. These bikes are usually tuned for more torque down low, making them easier to ride and learn on. Plus, they are less expensive to fix when you wreck (you WILL crash, it's just a matter of when and how bad).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. My roomate just got a Katana so I could probobly buy on of those and then trade it in when I get more experience and comfortable for a gixxer or whatever I choose?

·
Registered
504 Posts
?

ryoung57 said:
If you have no experience at all, I'd say get a 250 or maybe a 500. If you've got to have something bigger, go with something that's still a lot more user friendly than a repliracer (600rr, gsxr600, zx-6, r6). There are several 600 class bike that are not as difficult to ride, such as the cbr600f4i, yzf600r, katana 600, sv650. These bikes are usually tuned for more torque down low, making them easier to ride and learn on. Plus, they are less expensive to fix when you wreck (you WILL crash, it's just a matter of when and how bad).
Why does everyone say "you will crash" when referring to new riders. I started on my 2003 cbr 600rr and never drove stick before and havent gone down yet. I have two friends who never crashed and have been riding for 10 years each. I mean the majority will drop the bike, alot will also crash because they dont give the bike enough respect, but to say for sure 100% you will crash isnt true.
Anyway I'm glad I started with the 600rr.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm picking up a 600RR today that'll be my first bike. I took the MSF safety course and did pretty well there (granted it was 2 days in a closed parking lot). I know the prudent thing to do would be to get a Ninja 250 or EX500, and maybe I'll find out I should have done that instead.

If you haven't taken the MSF course I'd strongly suggest taking that, if nothing else it's a cheap course that'll teach you quite a bit and also let you learn some very basic riding on somebody else's bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WEll first do I need a bike for the course? Or are they provided? Do the people that go to those ridden before? Do I need gear?

V

·
0 Posts
Honda Rebel 250s are provided at the course. They also have helmets. I think the only thing you need is a long sleeve shirt, some sort of gloves, boots that go over the anke, jeans, and sun screen ;-) Some places have different bikes than others to learn on. I know there is an option to learn on a Buell Blast at the MSF place by me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The general thought is that if you buy a good used beginner bike and take care of it, the resale won't drop much. There's always a good demand for beginner bikes.

·
I've Got A Fever
1,478 Posts
Last year was my first riding season and I started off with an '01 SV650S. No riding experience before hand, no experience with a stick, and I was comfortable riding it after a couple weeks of practice. The SV is all around a good bike, great for beginners too. With any new bike, just take your time, get comfortable, and ride within your capabilities. I wouldn't suggest however, going out and getting a brand new liter bike to learn on.

No I'm just waiting to get me an '04 RR in about a month. :cool:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Not everybody is going to crash. The 600rr is my first streetbike as well, but it is a statistical fact that the majority of new riders will crash or drop the bike. Hopefully neither you or I will be in that majority, but it is a good possibility. That's why we have frame sliders and wear gear.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
TheSource said:
OK. I read the FAQ about getting a furst bike but I had a question about how many CC's would be god for a biginner. I know this isnt a Suzuki forum ( mabye you guys know of a good one? ) but i was thinking of a GSXR600 because it felt the most comfortable to me and I like the looks of it. Do you think this would be an acceptable bike if I get all the right gear and take the Safety class (cant remmber the name, but it was in the FAQ )? Any suggestions?

P.S. I love your guys pictures of your ladies. They look beatiful. LOL.
Follow Link:

http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10960

Jason

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If you take the MSF course they do provide you with a bike, but you have to have your own gear. As everyone on here will tell you gear is the first thing you should buy.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
TheSource said:
You think buy a katana or soemthing and trading it in for a gixxer or something would be an option?
Are you sure you want a katana 600? The all-steel frame is going to add about 100lbs to the weight of the bike vs. the GSXR600. At any rate, this question has been pretty thorougly beaten to death on the various boards. Some people say, "sure...my first bike was the MotoGP RC211v and I have never had any problems" while others will say "Get a used beater first and then upgrade". Personally, I fall into the latter catagory. Check out statistics for 1st bike types vs. crash percentages (google will do the trick). However, the decsion is ultimately yours to make. And remember, the throttle works both ways! Be safe and ride happy :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
new riders crash, riding vets crash, anyone can crash...just because people have been riding for 20 years and not crashed doesn't mean that they will never crash, unless of course they stopped riding today and never rode again. I know a guy that bought a GSXR600 for his first bike and crashed once, slow spilled once, and dropped in a garage once. his nice new bike is fugged up looking, but he is a good rider now. This shows that you can learn on a 600, but i wouldn't want to do it with a shiny new bike...once scratch will make you cry.

I started on an F4i and it has served me well, but i think that my age played a serious factor in my keeping it up right, that and that i'm lucky to have enough muscles to keep it up, because there were a couple of occasions where i was fighting gravity to keep the bike from going over on the street...fighting hard. :-x

My next bike will be the 600RR...it is a more track focused bike, and that is where my interests lie right now. it is the right tool for the job...I wouldn't say that it is the best learning tool tho, especially if you haven't even taken MSF yet. Get what you want, because that is what you are going to do anyways.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I know a guy that bought a GSXR600 for his first bike and crashed once, slow spilled once, and dropped in a garage once. his nice new bike is fugged up looking, but he is a good rider now. This shows that you can learn on a 600, but i wouldn't want to do it with a shiny new bike...once scratch will make you cry.

Ummmmm.....this show you should NOT learn on a 600.

I just wonder how many close calls he had also.

If you want to trash a GSXR, I don't really care but the 600RR?

:evil: *** FORGETABOUTIT *** :evil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts