Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 04 and resetting the trip is not working. I read the book and it tell you to hold down the reset for 2 seconds. Well, it doesn't work for me. is this a common problem? Also switching from "A" to "B" is not working also. Hope this is a easy fix, or I'm doing something wrong.

Also I just want to make sure... 91 Fuel only correct? My last bike called for 91 ron, but that = 87 and 91 was not needed.

One last question for now. When the fuel gauge runs out, do I have any fuel left, or should I expect to be stranded at that point?

Thanks guys.

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
91+ octane (i always run shell or bp 93). the last bar will start blinking when you are on your reserve. not sure about your problem with the guage cluster. holding reset should reset to trip mileage

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
It's not unusual to have problems with the buttons on the instrument cluster. Those buttons like to pop off too. You can try to blow some canned air in there or take it apart to see what's up. Do a search for cluster problems.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just picked up a 04 and resetting the trip is not working. I read the book and it tell you to hold down the reset for 2 seconds. Well, it doesn't work for me. is this a common problem? Also switching from "A" to "B" is not working also. Hope this is a easy fix, or I'm doing something wrong.

Also I just want to make sure... 91 Fuel only correct? My last bike called for 91 ron, but that = 89 and 91 was not needed.

One last question for now. When the fuel gauge runs out, do I have any fuel left, or should I expect to be stranded at that point?

Thanks guys.
i've gotten away with less than 91 octane, but the engine has a pretty high-compression ratio, so you'll want higher octane to prevent knocking in the long-run.

if the fuel gauge runs out then yes...you do not have any fuel left, lol -- there's no reservoir like older bikes, but the gauge will appear to go ballistic (moving up and down rapidly) when it's really low on fuel. i don't like to get to that point, but your call.

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
i've gotten away with less than 91 octane, but the engine has a pretty high-compression ratio, so you'll want higher octane to prevent knocking in the long-run.

if the fuel gauge runs out then yes...you do not have any fuel left, lol -- there's no reservoir like older bikes, but the gauge will appear to go ballistic (moving up and down rapidly) when it's really low on fuel. i don't like to get to that point, but your call.

i do not understand why people put less than 91 octane in their tank if they have an 07+?? if not can not afford the extra 10cents a gallon then you should not be owning a bike in the first place

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
i do not understand why people put less than 91 octane in their tank?? if not can not afford the extra 10cents a gallon then you should not be owning a bike in the first place
Uh, because the manual says that 87 is recommended. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to waste your money, have at it.

And we're not going to get into this debate. It has been discussed too many times.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/search.php?searchid=4401784

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
Uh, because the manual says that 87 is recommended. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to waste your money, have at it.

And we're not going to get into this debate. It has been discussed too many times.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/search.php?searchid=4401784

As you can read from his sig he has an 08 which calls for 91 octane. anyone with 07+ is what my comment was referring to and not the op. sorry i wasnt clear enough for you. comment is fixed

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's half the problem these days it seems with threads and people responding to them. If you are not 100% clear in your intent and meaning, and I mean S-P-E-L-L it out for them, you're going to get your s**t jumped. That's my 2 cents. It seems some have lost what little sense of humor that they had and others, well, it was always hopeless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry if this bothers anyone, but I also have a question about an '03. When I'm running through at 5,000 rpms, I get a rattling on the bike. everything is smooth at any other rpm (haven't had it past 10,000, though). Normal or not?

·
Registered
344 Posts
i do not understand why people put less than 91 octane in their tank if they have an 07+?? if not can not afford the extra 10cents a gallon then you should not be owning a bike in the first place
i forgot to clarify - it was with my old '03 with the <91 octane. for my '08 i use nothing but 93. the 2003 manual mentioned 87 minimum

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
As you can read from his sig he has an 08 which calls for 91 octane. anyone with 07+ is what my comment was referring to and not the op. sorry i wasnt clear enough for you. comment is fixed
I was responding to you using 91 octane and your signature stating you have an '05.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
sorry if this bothers anyone, but I also have a question about an '03. When I'm running through at 5,000 rpms, I get a rattling on the bike. everything is smooth at any other rpm (haven't had it past 10,000, though). Normal or not?
Take off the tank cover and put a piece of foam under there or something. That should eliminate the buzzing

·
Registered
428 Posts
yea my buttons in the gauge cluster keep popping out of place...gonna put some adhesive or something to hold them there. and if that doesnt work i may just order new ones.

As for the rattling i have the same 5k-6k rpm rattle on my 03. I'm going to try the foam suggestion and let you know if it works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts