Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Optimal fairings in the mail today!!!! Going to check the fit and all that this week on them, but I have a quick question. With my F4i, when I took that to the track I messed around with trying to run it without the headlight assembly. I had considered using a crashed OEM nose cowl and fiberglassing over headlight cut-outs to make a home-grown track day nose cowl. Problem was, having the headlight bit unplugged kept the bike from starting (as far as I could figure anyway, never could figure it out).

Now that I have an RR, I havent tried unplugging the headlight assy to check and see if the bike will fire up. How do you guys go about this (or getting around it) when you have the track nose on there, since it doesnt have the holes for headlights? Probably a silly question with an easy answer, but I just dont have experience in this field so I figured I'd ask the masses. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Just got my Optimal fairings in the mail today!!!! Going to check the fit and all that this week on them, but I have a quick question. With my F4i, when I took that to the track I messed around with trying to run it without the headlight assembly. I had considered using a crashed OEM nose cowl and fiberglassing over headlight cut-outs to make a home-grown track day nose cowl. Problem was, having the headlight bit unplugged kept the bike from starting (as far as I could figure anyway, never could figure it out).

Now that I have an RR, I havent tried unplugging the headlight assy to check and see if the bike will fire up. How do you guys go about this (or getting around it) when you have the track nose on there, since it doesnt have the holes for headlights? Probably a silly question with an easy answer, but I just dont have experience in this field so I figured I'd ask the masses. Thanks!
i tried this once when i first bought my bike in 08 and i didnt figure it out i just taped lights..pretty sure someone fugured it out ....

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The headlights need to be removed.

However, there is a sensor..with a black plug on the 2007 I believe it is towards the front above the headlights (standing in front of the bike, looking towards the tail end) that needs to stay plugged in. That is the tip over sensor....I think.

At any rate, if that is NOT plugged in, your bike will definitely not start. Learned this the hard way at a trackday. I went so far as to unplug my power commander, my alarm (which I've since kept disconnected) before somebody asked me "Are you sure it isn't your tip over sensor?"

That led to a bewildered look from me, followed by the dude plugging something in and stating, "Try it now."

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
you just need to ground out the tip over sensor. get a wiring diagram and splice a wire in teh harness and put a jumper wire to a good ground on the frame. very easy. did it on my F4i when i had it on the track.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

However, there is a sensor..with a black plug on the 2007 I believe it is towards the front above the headlights (standing in front of the bike, looking towards the tail end) that needs to stay plugged in. That is the tip over sensor....I think.

At any rate, if that is NOT plugged in, your bike will definitely not start. Learned this the hard way at a trackday. I went so far as to unplug my power commander, my alarm (which I've since kept disconnected) before somebody asked me "Are you sure it isn't your tip over sensor?"

That led to a bewildered look from me, followed by the dude plugging something in and stating, "Try it now."
Just looked.

Assuming I'm thinking about the correct plug, it is a 3 wire connector. Wires are Green, Yellow/White and Blue/Red.

I'd try it myself to confirm, but I'd have to take my plastics off and/or unzip tie a bunch of crap, take my battery off of the tender, etc.

That...and my wife is about to come home in about 15 minutes. If she saw me working on the bike, she'd be kind of irate.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Your bike will start and run without the headlights connected

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Your bike will start and run without the headlights connected
:+1: your headlights are not a start permissive. I have them removed and unplugged from the oem connector.

·
Registered
183 Posts

yep, like he said- headlights can go out, just make sure your BAS, lean/balance angle sensor is plugged in. its a square black plug above your headlights

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

there's a bank angle sensor where the headlight is, you jus need to take it out and mount it somewhere, make sure its secure and pointing in the right direction. or it won't start.

you just need to ground out the tip over sensor. get a wiring diagram and splice a wire in teh harness and put a jumper wire to a good ground on the frame. very easy. did it on my F4i when i had it on the track.
I wouldn't do that for track days, the bike will not turn itself off in an event of a crash.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Make sure you mount the BAS facing the right direction. i replaced my headlight assembly after a wreck and accidentally installed it upside down when moving everything over to the new headlight assembly, and it took me a while to figure out why my bike wouldn't start

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
How do you have it mounted in the track fairings?

thats what i was gonna ask. didnt have one on my 600rr, and the 600F4i had no place to mount it after i removed teh headlights and fiberglassed the hole.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
on my 06 i jus made a small mount n tie it to the stay, I haven't look into the 09 yet.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
How do you have it mounted in the track fairings?
Aftermarket Faring stay allows you to mount it. Seen some guys mount it around the radiator. As long as the orientation stays the same your will be fine.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I had my BAS sensor mounted in the stock stay with my race fairings. If you have a 07-10? you should be able to do the same thing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts