Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Easy. For me that would be take the barely broken in 2012 & spend the couple grand on track days &/or mods that count. For the diff in price you could have the same bike but have money left over for full Ohlins suspension front & back, a sweet set of braided brake lines, 520 chain/sprocket conversion, & maybe a set of good rubber too.

p.s. The 2012 and the 2013+ are 99% the same. They just put even uglier bodywork over the same bike, gave it off the shelf big piston forks, & retuned the ECU for more midrange. As long as the 2012 was well cared for I'd snap it up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
If looks aren't an issue, get the older bike and spend the extra money on quality riding gear if you don't have some already or track days.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
take the 2012.

more, cheaper parts available, and developed well.

also, OTF you can scoop really quality suspension upgrade stuff at the right maoment.

keep an eye on the parts for sale 07-13 sub forum regulary!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just heard from the dealer I bought a new bike from last week that Honda just released new dealer pricing on almost everything 2014 and older and that things were significantly cheaper everywhere in the country on most models.

The msrp right now of the 2013 should be $8999 and the 2014 $9499; add at most $300 for freight and setup (which are BS numbers set by the dealer, but give them something), tax, title and license and you should only be about $1k above msrp. I'd say the dealership is slightly high on the 13, way high on the 14 and like Shinfo said depending on condition, the only true way to know the value of a used bike, about right on the 12 if it's stock and clean.

Get a breakdown of the numbers and see where they are getting the OTD prices from. It's good you asked the OTD price, my first question always, but find out how they get there as well.

However, and this is a big however, find out what's all included in those numbers as well. Sometimes dealers will include the first service or an extended warranty; sometimes you get discounts on accessories.

There are not enough differences between the 12 and 13/14 to pick one over the other one other than the looks so get the best "value" for you.

Mike

·
Registered
940 Posts
Looks like the 2012 has some scratches on the lower right hand side fairing, has a 2bros exhaust, has a rear cowl and might possibly have been a track bike judging by the camera mount on the rear cowl (guessing).

http://www.petescycle.com/2012HondaCBR-600RR-inventory.htm?id=756558&used=1&vin=JH2PC4004CK500899

From my personal experience unless they give you a warranty on the 2012 without knowing it's history I'd try to get that price down. It might have other issues you'll discover down the road like gearbox issues or something else. Just speaking from experience.

Edit: from a high level view the 2009 looks like a better buy if going the used route:

http://www.petescycle.com/2009HondaCBR-600RR-inventory.htm?id=759142&used=1&vin=JH2PC40019K203338

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
Looks like the 2012 has some scratches on the lower right hand side fairing, has a 2bros exhaust, has a rear cowl and might possibly have been a track bike judging by the camera mount on the rear cowl (guessing).

http://www.petescycle.com/2012HondaCBR-600RR-inventory.htm?id=756558&used=1&vin=JH2PC4004CK500899

From my personal experience unless they give you a warranty on the 2012 without knowing it's history I'd try to get that price down. It might have other issues you'll discover down the road like gearbox issues or something else. Just speaking from experience.

Edit: from a high level view the 2009 looks like a better buy if going the used route:

http://www.petescycle.com/2009HondaCBR-600RR-inventory.htm?id=759142&used=1&vin=JH2PC40019K203338

If that's the case then I would go with the '13 and use the information stated above to argue the price. You'll know the history and know it was broken in properly. My 0.02

·
Registered
109 Posts
id stay away from any bike that has damage and u can't even hear the owners story at least of what happened, w/ spending that much money just buy something nice and clean that u know 100% its story

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THanks for the replies. There were 2 CBR 600rr at petes one has the scratches but one (that's seems to have been sold or disappeared from listing with 1659miles) had no evidence of being down.

The modded one scares me a bit since i really want a bike with stock height and handling characteristics to get me broken in at this league. I can mod later when i get really used to the bike and its style.

i just saw this 2009 listing of the 09 but would expect a touch cheaper.

I am deployment for next couple of weeks in Australia and hope to seal a deal when i get back.

I really want a Honda CBR, but price will be an issue, and I do have an offer of 9100 "out door" for a YZFR6

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also any thoughts on Glen Burnie Motorsports as a dealer? They have some 2 year old never titled bikes, but there web prices are all over the map. They seem to have a ton of stock and I want to run by there.

http://www.glenburniemotorsports.com/2012HondaCBR-600RR-inventory.htm?id=624003&used=1&vin=JH2PC4001CK500794
http://www.glenburniemotorsports.com/2012HondaCBR-600RR-inventory.htm?id=591784&used=1&vin=JH2PC4006CK500810

Two black 2012, with diff prices, either never update website, or the "out the doors" are way off.

Thanks again. I hope to get a nice deal soon but can wait for the right thing.

ALso searching this page for recommend gear, Looking for best protection from suit gloves etc. Will search and read abit before questions.

Regards
D.Brisson

·
Maynard
7,033 Posts
Be patient. The new gen RR's look like they hit a wall compared to 07-12. I'm not saying they look bad, but compared to previous gen they do imo. Looks mean a lot, but they grow on you if you don't like them. And people say "oh but the new gen is a better bike... I don't care about looks." Who cares what they say. Sure you don't spend all day staring at the bike but the bike needs to be beautiful in your eyes, no matter what generation RR. Id take the 06 red/black over a new one because the price point would be so different yet what you get out from bike will almost be the same if you're a commuter. So many people want "the faster bike that has more goodies" but hardly get a use out of them because theyre just a commuting rider. They'll never get a full use out of the goodies unless they're a dedicated track rider.

New is nice. And the R6 is a lot less comfortable than the RR. That large tank and overall ergos of the bike are worse for commuting, and they have no kick down low. Pretty bikes though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts