Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, Im new to the forum and I just wanted to get your opinion on a few things..Im currently in Iraq and I have saved up enough money to get myself a bike.. I have never road a street bike.. i have some experience on dirtbikes and quads.. I was wondering if a 600rr is a good bike to start out with? also do you guys think I should find a used one or a new one? hopefully from some of your experiences I can do this right the first time..lol I was thinking maybe a year or two old bike and I want to paint it pearl white like my g35coupe.. Im kinda scared also becuase i have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder from an old football injury and sometimes it pops out when its jerked to hard or i over extend it.. do you guys think this could be a problem? I would hate to be going 80mph + and have to deal with that..... it dosnt come out at random.. only when some force or when its extended to far up or backwords... anyways.. i look forward to becoming part of this family

thanks

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
welcome aboard brother! stay safe over there...

now about the bike. i would suggest that when you get back, take the MSF course - most posts offer it to service members for little or no cost. then you will probably be able to get a used one for a good deal when you get back top paint it up really nice (or if you are concerned about dumping a brand new bike), the RR is my first sport bike (i rode a harley for a while) and i love it - you just need to learn to respect the bike. just out of curiousity, what would you be doing to jerk your shoulder out on a sport bike? stunting?

anycrap, like i said stay safe - i just got back from deployment so i understand where you're at. take it easy!

nate

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will def take that course! I will def respect the bike i just know how easy it is to forget how fast your going when playing with toys! Def no stunting for a while I want to learn the bike and most importantly know how to control it and feel safe about my abilities before i try anything remotely stupid..Its just that since this shoulder problem has happend it scares me to no end that I will be in a position where I need my arm and i wont be able to use it so I think about all situations.. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think a 600 is a good bike to start on. I started on a CBR600F4. As long as you sensible and used you head you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of ppl will tell you to get a 500 or something smaller to start on, I would just suggest buying a used bike over a new one.

In the mean time be safe over there, and if you need someone to ride with let me know.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
G35coupe, it is always easier to step up to a bike than to actually admit you bit off more than you "should" chew.

THere are tons of used bikes out there. If you know you want to get ti painted, I would get a bike that is rashed. It will be cheaper and help offset the costs of painting. I know a local shop charges $800 for plastic repair and a paint job. You can save close to that by getting one that has seen the pavement.

·
Registered
356 Posts
welcome to the site as well, what part of Iraq are u in? My unit was stationed in Tuz. that's about 30 min south of Kirkuk on MSR Cheyenne. and about 1 hr east of Tikrit on ASR Lime. How about you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im in Balad/Anaconda... thanks for the support guys! I cant wait to get a bike.. i mean 600 is pretty big to start on but i figure ill be fine if i take it easy for a while! I will def be looking for people to ride with..and o3 yellow do you ever go by the races where they practice stunts and stuff? out by the airport or whatever? my friend took me there once and i must say those guys are sick!

I think im gonna go the used bike route! now i just need to find a good one in the philly area that hasnt been thrashed to bad! lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
G35coupe said:
Im in Balad/Anaconda... thanks for the support guys! I cant wait to get a bike.. i mean 600 is pretty big to start on but i figure ill be fine if i take it easy for a while! I will def be looking for people to ride with..and o3 yellow do you ever go by the races where they practice stunts and stuff? out by the airport or whatever? my friend took me there once and i must say those guys are sick!

I think im gonna go the used bike route! now i just need to find a good one in the philly area that hasnt been thrashed to bad! lol
I used to go down to the races years ago, but not anymore. Im getting a little to old for that kinda stuff.

When you get home let me know ill help you find a bike.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep....you can definitely save some money on a rashed bike, you just have to look it over a bit more to make sure its only cosmetic damage. and use that money to get your bike painted and get some nice gear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
G35Coupe. First and foremost. Props to you and be safe out there. I'll :drinkers: for ya here.

After riding my RR for a while now, I'm thought of moving up to the litter bikes. Last weekend, I was fortunate enough to ride my friends 954. It was a nice ride but I realized that there's still tons of room to grow on my 600RR. I scrape the idea of moving up.

I haven't ridden for about 10 years and I jumped into the 600RR right away after taking the MSF course. You couldn't go wrong with the RR.

Hooorahh!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts