Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I've been reading here for awhile now. You guys seem friendly, unlike some of the other forums I've ran across where everyone is "brand loyal." I just finished my MSF course.

I apologize for digging up an old topic, but I just can not decide. I'm going to buy either a 600rr or zx6r.

I've sat on both over and over at the dealership. Just sitting on them both, they both feel very comfortble in their own right, and both are gorgeous bikes. I'm new to the city I live in and don't really know any riders. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking to ride someone else's bikes, even if I did know people here.

I really need help deciding which bike to buy. I guess I'm looking for some people to help me feel good about making a decision either way.

I realize everyone has their own preference. I'm new to riding. I've been into cars most of my life, but my car just doesn't cut it anymore. I've decided to buy a bike and need help.

I apologize if I've rambled or asked a question that's been asked a million times.

Nice to be here at the forum.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Go with whatever fots you best and what feels better to you. Both bikes are very close in proformance. The Honda is always rated very high in the all around because it's either first or second in almost every test they do. I remember something on the '03 zx-6R's going wrong on them but I'm not sure. I've also heard that their suspension is more stiffer for track use and not really geared twords the street but I have no experiance riding it so That's just what I've heard.

P

·
0 Posts
I use to ride a CBR600RR and now I have a 2003 Kawi ZX6R (636) and what I could say to answer your question, Devil600, is...."it depends". :mrgreen: It really depends on what you are looking for! If you want a track weopon then I say the 636 is the way to go (but again, there are a lot of guys on this forum that would smoke me on their 600RR and me on my 636). I am just saying that the 636 was more "comfortable" for me at the track! If I wanted a street only bike, then I would go with the Honda. You cannot beat the Honda dependability. Also, I think the resale value of Honda's are much better than the Kawi's in general. Again, just my opinion! The truth of the matter?? You cannot really go wrong with either of them! Good luck on your choice and ride safe!!! :mrgreen:

H

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did not sit on the zx, but I do know that the 600rr's seat is very stiff and not much confortable for daily use. I didn't think of this till I started using my bike. confortable seating is something that you should think of seriously.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I did not sit on the zx, but I do know that the 600rr's seat is very stiff and not much confortable for daily use
I did sit on both before I bought, and while after riding the RR for some time now, the first impression I got about the Ninja was about the same, that it too is a stiff seat, and would probably be uncomfortable. Plus, IMHO I think the Honda is a better looking bike. I am very happy with the RR.

pastpob: you are talking about the dragstrip, right?

P

·
0 Posts
No, not dragstrip...at the road race track is what I am talking about! I'd say 90%, if not more, of the time it is the rider not the bike that makes one fast at the racetrack. It's a matter of preference and comfort that matters here in my opinion. I forgot to mention, that riding the 636 on the street really sucked! Everything hurt...my wrists, my "private parts" that kept slamming into the tank! :shock: Definitely not the funnest on the street...but at the track...that is a different story!! :mrgreen:

H

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey mang, all i can say is that the decision is on you. i was torn between the R6, the RR and the 6R. i was able to ride a R6 for about a week and i decided that it wasn't me. then, i put the RR and the 6R up and for some reason the RR felt better in my mind, and i'm glad that it did. this is the bike for me. i guess what i'm trying to say is that the bike you pick has to complement you. :bounce: just my $.02 good luck

~ mark

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree, you won't go wrong with either bike as they are both great machines but the seating on the Honda is what sold me this time. I like the way it felt and I also liked the center up exhaust. Whichever one you choose will make you smile though every time you crack the throttle. :bounce:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I appreciate all of your replies. I've pondered this all night after reading your replies. I think I'll be the wiser to take the advice that I've heard from more experienced riders and buy a different bike for my first bike. I looked at the Suzuki GS500f. I'm going to go check one out today and may end up going with a bike similar to that as my first bike. I just hate to spend 4 or 5 grand now and then a year from now (or however long it takes for my skills to come up enough) end up forking out the money for a zx6 or 600rr.

I was going to buy the zx6 or 600rr first to save myself the money in the long run. My wife and I just built a house in a really nice subdivision which would allow me to practice riding, so I thought I would use that to practice and practice on a new 600rr or zx6 until I felt comfortable taking a brand new bike out on the road.

I did post over at the zx6r forum and they pretty much said the same thing that you guys did here

Again, thanks for the friendly responses. I've caught some nasty attitudes in the past from experienced riders locally went I went to buy my first bike, which ended up deterring me from getting a bike then. So, thanks for the friendliness.

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
you might take a look at the yamaha r6. when looking at bikes, I had my hardest time between it and the 600rr. The fact of the matter was, my friend had a kawi that was a few years old, and i was really going in to get one of them, but after sitting on it, i could tell some changes had been made with the new model, and i just wasn't comfy on it. so i then tried the honda and yamaha. moral of all this..go with what you feel good about!

G

·
0 Posts
Seriously, as an psuedo-experienced street rider I would strongly advise you to stay away from any of the new 600 SS. You may be able to handle them, you may not. But you will certainly become a more proficient motorcyclist if you get something like a suzuki SV-650 for your first bike. You won't grow out if in a year, either. The 'little' SV is basically the perfect beginner bike. It can do anything from touring to track work it's not too slow or too fast, and you can find spares easy. Resale is pretty high. Look no further and just go get one!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a 636 and an 6RR, I love the 636 for around town, long rides and going out to vacant roads and stunting. I like the RR better for canyon carving/twisties, plus it looks waaay better! The 636 is stock and the RR is geared with a slip on, and the 636 still eats up the RR in straight line racing. 636 has a more comfortable seat, higher bars, better fuel injection, tricker brakes and forks. The RR has the better tranny, smoother feeling motor, and better all around suspension. If I had to choose between one or the other I'd probably pick the RR. The 636 is my wifes, and the RR is mine so maybe I'm partial. But these are a few of my opinions.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Devil600 said:
... I think I'll be the wiser to take the advice that I've heard from more experienced riders and buy a different bike for my first bike. I looked at the Suzuki GS500f. I'm going to go check one out today and may end up going with a bike similar to that as my first bike. I just hate to spend 4 or 5 grand now and then a year from now (or however long it takes for my skills to come up enough) end up forking out the money for a zx6 or 600rr.

I was going to buy the zx6 or 600rr first to save myself the money in the long run. My wife and I just built a house in a really nice subdivision which would allow me to practice riding, so I thought I would use that to practice and practice on a new 600rr or zx6 until I felt comfortable taking a brand new bike out on the road.

it really depends on you as far as choosing a 600ss as your first bike. it's like geremy said, "You may be able to handle them, you may not." For all practical purposes the RR is my first bike too. I had a full frame 50cc yamaha motocross when i was in jr. high. so, i've had a little bit of experience before the RR, but it's really about your ablilty to understand the bike and understand your limits. but the sv650 is a great all around bike too, or at least from what i hear. i'm not really an advicate for either side, i just know that the RR has work for me as my first "real" bike, but maybe it's just because i was born to ride... jk

·
Registered
485 Posts
that is really a good attitude. you actaully listened to the people who told you to buy a smaller bike to learn on. look, your going to crash, its inevitable. you might as well get your crash (es) out of the way on a used, cheaper, smaller bike. thats my recomendation. i wish i had been told that, but i didn't ask. i would have bought a 600f3. thats what i'd get for a first bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
pastpob said:
I use to ride a CBR600RR and now I have a 2003 Kawi ZX6R (636) and what I could say to answer your question, Devil600, is...."it depends". :mrgreen: It really depends on what you are looking for! If you want a track weopon then I say the 636 is the way to go (but again, there are a lot of guys on this forum that would smoke me on their 600RR and me on my 636). I am just saying that the 636 was more "comfortable" for me at the track! If I wanted a street only bike, then I would go with the Honda. You cannot beat the Honda dependability. Also, I think the resale value of Honda's are much better than the Kawi's in general. Again, just my opinion! The truth of the matter?? You cannot really go wrong with either of them! Good luck on your choice and ride safe!!! :mrgreen:

H
Gotta agree with Pastpob... I 'use' to ride a kawi 6rr. The bike was off the hook. Now that I have the 600rr there's just no comparison... The kawi is just great out of the box without any suspension mods needed- unlike the 600rr where you will need to raise this drop that.. etc.

If you're riding street... and you're a newbie.. I'd get something cheap that you can thrash. No point in getting a new bike you're not ready for and bin it.

But if you get a newer generation bike.. maybe consider the sv650-- If not and your only two choices are between the kawi and the honda...

Then I'd go with the kawi....

Good Luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
i love the RR and kawi isnt bad, but if anything but the RR get the R6 this years, and the 03 is so much better than the old r6 and how it was so twitchy!!! the r6 you can flick, like a mosquito on your arm were the RR is more of a swat! but etither way you will be happy!

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
You are wise my friend...I don't know and new to the forum!!!

I hate..by the way..the word newbie..it sucks!!!

Bikes are a blast....none of them are safe in the wrong hands though!!!

Buy the damn SV650!! You will love it and never out grow the thing.

Don't buy either of the bikes you mentioned. The 600RR is a rocket ship above 10 grand and you will get in over your head!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Devil600 said:
Thanks guys. I appreciate all of your replies. I've pondered this all night after reading your replies. I think I'll be the wiser to take the advice that I've heard from more experienced riders and buy a different bike for my first bike. I looked at the Suzuki GS500f. I'm going to go check one out today and may end up going with a bike similar to that as my first bike. I just hate to spend 4 or 5 grand now and then a year from now (or however long it takes for my skills to come up enough) end up forking out the money for a zx6 or 600rr.

I did post over at the zx6r forum and they pretty much said the same thing that you guys did here

Again, thanks for the friendly responses. I've caught some nasty attitudes in the past from experienced riders locally went I went to buy my first bike, which ended up deterring me from getting a bike then. So, thanks for the friendliness.

Chris
I love reading posts like this. That is a really smart decision. Plus a bike like an SV650 is an awesome bike, and has a pretty good resale value. Hell, I would give it to the wife when you buy a new one. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts