Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any links or advice about leaning when going around turns, proper body position etc. I have had my RR for about 3 weeks now, it is my first bike and have basically gotten acclamaited(spelling) to the basics of riding. I am looking to push the bike a little bit harder than posted speed limits but before I go off sliding down the road I could use some advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ride through a canyon with some trusted friends that are good riders. They'll help guide you through the turns and give you an idea of what your bike is capable of. Other than that, the best advice I've gotten so far is move your ass to the side of the seat and try to kiss your mirror.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been riding for about a month now and I learned a lot by reading Twist of the Wrist. Especially the chapter on countersteering and leaning. I gained more confidence on the twisties the day after I read the book. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
485 Posts
holy crap. first you need to stow your ego. if you've been riding for 3 weeks you need to ride alot longer before you "push it" cause your going get tossed. i'm not being a ****, but trust me, if you like your fairings you might want to ride for a while longer to get the hang of the bike more. just make sure you look where your going, not where you are. if you look at something your going to go that way. so if you look at the tree on the far side of the road, guess what, you'll be in it. take a MSF class, ride for a while untill simple things like shifting smoothly and throttle control become second nature, then explore a little bit of the bike's potential. TRUST ME, a little restraint here goes a long way to keeping you off the asphault. don't ride with other people either, unless your absolutly sure you won't try to keep up with them. thats about the quickest way to crash.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I would say ride behind a experianced rider but have them go at a slower pace that is good for you. Watch his lines and riding positions and try to copy him. Also read "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. So much better then twist of the wrist I & II. But first of all take it easy. You'll get faster over time. No need to push it so soon. Have fun but do it while being safe.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1893618072/qid=1084554924/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-4634197-2355858?v=glance&s=books

·
Registered
485 Posts
not the advice your looking for i know, but thats the best you'll get. unless you've got the money for new fairings and are prepared to scrap this bike. then i'll throw up different advice. jsut make sure you have full leathers and gloves and boots. your going to need them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
by the way, this is the voice of experence speaking, i'm just trying to help you out by not making the same mistakes i did

·
Registered
932 Posts
It is my opinion that learning to do hard corners on the street is just not the best approach to riding. If you really want to learn how to drag knees and hang-off, or just learn how to pick the proper lines, I would suggested that you enroll in a track course at your local raceway. It may be a couple of hundred dollars, but it is definitely less painful than hitting the old lady in the buick who just crossed the center line. Once you work things out on the track, you will be able to safely apply these skills on the road, and most importantly, you will know better the limits of your bike and yourself. If you want to keep improving, just goto more track days (w/o the school).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOX said:
holy crap. first you need to stow your ego. if you've been riding for 3 weeks you need to ride alot longer before you "push it" cause your going get tossed. i'm not being a d**k, but trust me, if you like your fairings you might want to ride for a while longer to get the hang of the bike more. just make sure you look where your going, not where you are. if you look at something your going to go that way. so if you look at the tree on the far side of the road, guess what, you'll be in it. take a MSF class, ride for a while untill simple things like shifting smoothly and throttle control become second nature, then explore a little bit of the bike's potential. TRUST ME, a little restraint here goes a long way to keeping you off the asphault. don't ride with other people either, unless your absolutly sure you won't try to keep up with them. thats about the quickest way to crash.

I can respect what your sayin about 3 weeks not being enough, but it is not the first time I have ridden, its just my first bike. I am scheduled for the June moto training classes. I have spent the last 3 weeks/ 1500 miles getting used to the bikes characteristics and dynamics and occasionally opened her up on straight aways. I got the basic concept of looking through the turns to end up where you want, I just wasn't sure about body position... Thanks all for the advice!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am feeling the track day thing, and I don't really think draggin knees on the street is appropriate either... Tristate track days anyone?? Dates? Location? Ideas as to where to look?

C

·
0 Posts
keep your toes on the pegs.. your nads on the tank.. your arms low and loose.. slide a cheek off before the turn and then lean at the turn.. turn your head to look through the turn.. Have fun and relax!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cvlighthouse said:
keep your toes on the pegs.. your nads on the tank.. your arms low and loose.. slide a cheek off before the turn and then lean at the turn.. turn your head to look through the turn.. Have fun and relax!
Thats what I was looking for...
To all others thanks again

·
Registered
812 Posts
Give a close relative your logon and password so they can let us know how you died. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

I have been riding for a number of years and I can offer some advice.
Assume that you don't know everything and all advice from experienced riders should be gobbled up and welcomed. Leave your ego at home, it is your worst enemy. :D

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Simply Put: The more you push on the right handlebar, the more you are going to lean and turn to the right. Adjust speed to lean angle or vice versa. Always look through the turns at where you want to go. and Practice, Practice, Practice. The good thing is that is about the most fun skill I've ever practiced. :bounce:

Damn, nearly forgot to mention the throttle aspect of it. At least maintain your throttle through the turn, if not, it could hurt. With experience, you should work toward gradually accelerating to the exit of the turn. Always have your braking done BEFORE entering the turn. Take it slow and enjoy !!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
In Australia we have an Advanced Riding Coarse which teaches you how to corner and brake properly. You get taught on the track. It goes for 2 days and you have 8 hours of theory. I can tell you after doing this coarse i have become a MUCH better rider.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There is anadvanced riders course in America...but you need to go thru the MSF basic/safety/newbie course 1st).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts