Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically, this guy feels that people shouldn't have to "look out" for motocyclists ..

here is the article: http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1157&TM=4895.928

Send him a Letter

[email protected]
Have Fun!!

Here is what i wrote ...

Dear Editor:

Douglas Simpson doesn't feel the need to keep an eye out for motorcyclists? Obviously his view would be different if he was in fact a member of the motorcycle community.

If you wish to drive on our public roads, it is your DUTY to pay attention to all vehicles, including motoryclcles.

By the way, nice job stereotyping those on motorcycles. Apparently everyone on two wheels is constantly doubling the speed limit and bulleting down the freeway up on one wheel. Not true. No matter what activity you look at, there will ALWAYS be a few bad apples that ruin it for everyone.

Your "story" really made me upset, as some careless person in a car nearly took my life as she didn't feel the need to pay enough attention to her surroundings. I was obeying the law and out of nowhere a lady in a truck turns left in front of me and i t-bone her, breaking numerous bones, totalling my bike, and many other things. Needless to say, because of this stereotype that you like to reinforce, i was put at fault and she recieved no citation, when she was CLEARY in the wrong ... nothing that a lawsuit can't fix.

I DARE you to open your door when a rider is going in between cars on the freeway. After you do it, you'll be writing your subpar columns from a jail cell for the next 15 years of your life. I'm not sure on the law where are, but in many states it is LEGAL for bikes to ride in between cars in slow or non moving traffic. Learn the laws before you start bashing and reinforcing negative stereotypes on our biker community.
Do you know what i dont like? I dont like children that jaywalk .. i'll be sure to run one of them over on my way home from work, cause i have anger issues, a mild personality disorder and they make me mad.

Oh, and if you would like pictures of my shattered fibula, the plate and screws placed in my leg, or the glass they had to removed from my leg stemming from the negligence of another person in a car thinking they own the road, just let me know.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
+1... He would have a hard time writing stories after I broke his f-ing hand after he opened a car door on me.... He also would not be able to drive his pos car after I got done slashing his tires.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Wow... once again, Im amazed at how fu*king stupid people can be and amazed to see idiots advancing in the business world. This guy is Managing Editor!? Who did he blow to get that job?

He actually said, he feels motorcyclists "are fair game". Hes actually annoucing in a public paper that he wants to attack motorcyclists. WTF.

I say we hit that fu*king paper with every email complaint we can until this moron prints a public apology.

By condoning and encouraging attacking us, can he get into legal trouble? Is there an agency that we can notify about this?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well be sure to email him! we are trying to circulate this to other sites.

if you frequent other sites, please copy and paste it over there ... i want this guy flooded with letters, criticism, comments, etc.

·
Registered
757 Posts
what a duche really listen to this quote "“I’ll look out for them as soon as they start obeying traffic laws.” I’m still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game." wtf does that mean fair game. everyone that reads this Ish should write this duche bags boss/company
[email protected]
[email protected]
Im goin to write in tellin them that im terrible offended and passing on the msg not to subscribe and purchase this newspaper.

heres what i wrote
Im writing inconcerns to this article i am a motorcyclist and severly offended by your comments. first of all open your car door into another motorist? why do ignorant motorist want to make ridin a motorcycle any more dangerous we have to obey very strict laws and in most states lane splitting is legal. as far as motorcyclist speeding or driving dangerously you only remember the idiots because the motorcyclist driving safe are overlooked. secondly motorcyclist are abused by other motorist who try to block us in or other various forms of road rage. and as far as ur comment until they obey traffic laws there fair game what does that mean, fair game? people like you make me sick. I hope you get whats coming to you as far as me and my fellow riders we are banning your paper!!!!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Io-Bot said:
Found his MySpace profile... nothing really there but:
http://www.myspace.com/douglasbsimpson35

I think I see what his problem is. Hes too fu**ing fat to ride a motorcycle so he has to criticize what he cant have.

By the way, hes the editor of the newspaper so writing to the editor probably isnt going to do any good. We need to go higher in the chain of that paper.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I posted this on honda-tech already, but here's what i sent. Everyone, please show this guy that we're a community that protects our own.

My email:
Dear Douglas Simpson,

Your recent section of "Airing of grievances" on motorcycles made me sick. How can you be so ignorant to think that the actions of a few represent the actions of many. There are thousands of motorcyclists that obey the laws of traffic just as well as any other motorists. There are also thousands of motorists that go speeding through traffic, weaving in and out of lanes, and tail gating because they want to get somewhere faster. That may make them ass holes but it does not mean that anybody driving a car is a reckless jerk. Your stereotyping of motorcyclists is not only dangerous to us (the motorcycling community) but dangerous to yourself. By claiming that motorcyclists are "fair game" you're endangering the lives of everyone on the roadway. Telling people that motorcyclists are "fair game" simply because of a few bad apples is like saying all Americans are fat, skin-headed idiots with narrow-minded opinions. Oh wait, you're not helping us there either. I can only hope that the multitude of trailer parks that constitute your reading audience don't take your article seriously. Motorcyclists have to ride like everyone is out to get them because of people like you. Please, open your mind to the bigger picture by pulling your head out of your ass. You make Americans everywhere look bad.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
nice one everbody.. deal to that stupid *******..... how can someone be so irrisponsible while pointing the finger at others ..... wot a hypocrite>>>> slam him....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am emailing the paper now. What an idiot. I will be sure to reccommend to anyone I know in TX to cancel their subscription.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Here is my email: (Sorry its so long. Maybe Alex_v will have something to say about bandwidth.)

Dear Editor,

You had to know this was coming when you irresponsibly decided to publish the article by Douglas Simpson on his irritation with motorcycles. First I will dissect this article paragraph by paragraph:

Mr. Simpson: I challenge anyone to recall the last time they saw a motorcycle obeying the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws.

Rebuttal: I challenge Mr. Simpson to recall the last time he saw any other vehicle on the roads obeying all traffic laws. Most motorcyclists obey more traffic laws and courtesies than any other vehicle on the road for our own safety. I personally always use a blinker and stay with the flow of traffic, something most people in my part of the country fail to understand the need to do.

Mr. Simpson: When I see them, they are usually doing 120 mph.

Rebuttal: I can't remember the last time I witnessed a motorcycle doing 120 mph. Can Mr. Simpson really verify such a fact? If so I'd love to see the proof.

Mr. Simpson: Nothing irks me more than seeing motorcycles split lanes.

Rebuttal: In most states it is not only legal, but encouraged for safety reasons. Besides, if Mr. Simpson doesn't like it, why is that? Is it because he is stuck in traffic while those of us with other means choose not to be? Does it anger him to know that we have an additional skill that affords us the opportunity to take advantage of a rule of the road that he can't? I must admit, when I saw motorcycles splitting lanes, I was angry too, but at myself for not being able to do it as well, so I went out and learned how to ride one and then bought one.

Mr. Simpson: I want so badly to open my car door before they reach me.

Rebuttal: What kind of sick person wishes to kill another human being for no reason other than prejudice? Does he realize that would be the case? Does he understand that now, from this point on, if he is ever involved in any motorcycle related accident, your terrifying words will be the first thing pointed out when the motorcyclist sues him? And it must be fun to write about premeditated murder.

Mr. Simpson: I was driving down a road when I saw 5 motorcycles driving erratically and popping wheelies: stupid.

Rebuttal: Yes, it is stupid. In the motorcycle community we have a word for those types of riders: squids. Most of us would never fathom doing something like that. Try not to lump us all into one definition based on your observation of a few idiots. That's known as stereotyping. A form of rhetoric. Surely, as a writer Mr. Simpson is well aware of the power of rhetoric and critical thinking. Critical thinking is designed so that one may read past the rhetoric into the truth. Apparently, he has not yet developed those skills. I advise that he take a critical thinking course or two at his local community college.

Mr. Simpson: After Gary Busey's bad motorcycle accident there was a public service announcement to keep an eye out for motorcyclists. Like they are being abused by car and truck drivers.

Rebuttal: As a matter of fact, most motorcycle related accidents involve the car or truck driver claiming they did not see the motorcycle, and most are caused by the driver of the car or truck making a left turn in front of a motorcycle at an intersection. This is a fact. Statistically proven. Most are not the motorcyclists fault. In the event of an impending collision, we have little to no recourse. We can slam on the brakes, causing what is known as low sides or high sides try to accelerate around the collision, or simple do nothing, and collide with the vehicle. That is why we split lanes. So we have more options in the event of an impending collision.

Mr. Simpson: I'll start to look for them when they obey traffic laws. In my eyes, they are fair game.

Rebuttal: I suppose Mr. Simpson obeys all traffic laws. Never speeds, cuts through a yellow light, turns without a blinker, fails to observe right-of-way, etc. Through his own admission he does not. By not driving defensively and failing to keep an eye out for all vehicles on the road, he is disobeying one of the key rules of the road. Additionally, referring to us as "fair game" is yet another reference to his wish to commit vehicular homicide. I cannot believe your publication would sponsor such an activity.

Mr. Simpson: Police do a good job, I just hope they look out for the wheelie popping idiots that make our roadways dangerous.

Rebuttal: I do too. These idiots give all of us a bad name. This is probably the one point in the entire article I agree with. However, I sense that Mr. Simpson is using another rhetorical device here: innuendo. His readers are supposed to assume that all motorcyclists are wheelie popping idiots. Wonderful use of the device in the literary sense. The case of civil humanity, however, has been completely ignored.

For your paper to print such an opinion is irresponsible, almost illegal, and just plain disturbing. The use of stereotyping is appalling, and his obvious anger issues make him unsuitable to be an editor of a respectable news source.

This article has already made its way through the community, and I'm sure mine will be one of the nicer replies you will receive. My suggestion to you is to do the right thing. Issue a public apology for not only allowing such an article to print, but also to discourage others from taking the actions that Mr. Simpson so wishes to instigate.

Thank you,

SSG Derek West

US Army

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Great letters guys. Some tips to writing to people like this I've learned. If you're writing to him just to vent your frustrations, write whatever you want. However, if you're really looking to possibly influence him for the better, you're get further writing a kinder letter explaining your concerns and the dangers for both parties that occur from negligence when driving a car or riding a bike.

I'm not saying he'll definitely change his mind but I do know that just bashing him in a letter (even though it is warranted) will do nothing but reinforce his hatred towards us.

PS- Several of you said in letters to him that many states allow filtering and/or lane sharing. I believe CA is the only one in the US that does though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow cbrdeju. really nice letter. mine wont be so nice, basically it'll read somethinglike this..

hey you prick, if i ever see you on the road i will run you over witha mack truck, drivers of regular sized vehicles are fair game. have a nice day

·
Registered
801 Posts
Id send a copy to Sportrider Mag. They would write about his colum and it be published all over the nation. This makes not only us look bad but everyone else that rides on 2wheels. I guess its true what they say....for every 3 people in the world theres always an idiot. Ill write to him when i get out of work and give him my 2cents .

·
Registered
136 Posts
in waht states is lane splitting Legal? I thought that was pretty much only California... I'm fairly sure it's not legal in Oklahoma (where I learned to ride) or Arkansas, where I am now...

Rock

·
Registered
136 Posts
nevermind, just found this:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/PrintLaws.html

california is the only state that legally allows lane SPLITTING... lane SHARING is legal in many states, but that is not the same thing. That is jus twhen 2 bikes ride side by side.

I'm just mentioning this so you don't use an invalid statement to make your arguments against this paper... the more valid your argument the more weight it will hold.

Rock

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmr1 said:
Wow... once again, Im amazed at how fu*king stupid people can be and amazed to see idiots advancing in the business world. This guy is Managing Editor!? Who did he blow to get that job?
He looks kinnda Ghey, so u never knows :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts