Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all :retard: ,

Just curious about what people are doing for visibility during night riding. I have seen people riding around with Bicycle lights attached to their backpacks and helmets. Since its been getting dark earlier now Ive started to use two NiteRider Solas USB Rear Bike Lights on the sides of my backpack aswell. I dunno if its illegal to have red lights on my backpack/person and wonder if im asking for trouble. I am looking to buy a brighter integrated tail light but ill be broke for a while especial with the holidays. Any suggestions on tail lights for a 2010 600rr?

-D

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
Well, for me...NO integrated tail lights. I use Rizoma rear signals that are 8" apart and bright. I also use the Tripage brake light flasher.

I didn't remove the stock reflectors since they actually have a purpose.

Front signals in the mirrors are excellent.

Ride like no one can see you, and keep your head on a swivel. If you add too many lights that aren't normally on a bike, you might look like something else. Probably not a good thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill check out those suggestions and stop by motorsports and get some reflectors. the previous owner took alot of that stuff off. My tail light will only light up when the brake is engaged now so ill have to figure that out too. Think it was wired wrong or not wired to the running lights. Thanks.

Rizoma rr.net friendly?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Something I do, which may bring controversy on here, is leave the high beam off.
Interesting. Can I ask why?

For me I have found that in traffic they usually notice me all the time with my high beams and seldom without when pulling up to them from behind at a stoplight particularly and most times in traffic. I always prefer they see me but that always doesn't equate to much. Like the X said keep your head on a swivel cause things happen in a split second and it is not always your fault and when you lose control.......

Be safe out there .Netters

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Interesting. Can I ask why?

For me I have found that in traffic they usually notice me all the time with my high beams and seldom without when pulling up to them from behind at a stoplight particularly and most times in traffic. I always prefer they see me but that always doesn't equate to much. Like the X said keep your head on a swivel cause things happen in a split second and it is not always your fault and when you lose control.......

Be safe out there .Netters
Well, there's a difference between knowing someone's there, and knowing where there actually is. I've had bikes behind me at night while driving and the high beam always made it harder to make out the rider's profile so if it would've helped me it may help someone else as well.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Well, there's a difference between knowing someone's there, and knowing where there actually is. I've had bikes behind me at night while driving and the high beam always made it harder to make out the rider's profile so if it would've helped me it may help someone else as well.
I agree with you here 100%. When driving at night I find the brights of bikes obtrusive.

To clarify; I ride with my brights on during the day and off during the night. Even though I try my best to avoid being out on 2 wheels after dark if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I agree with you here 100%. When driving at night I find the brights of bikes obtrusive.

To clarify; I ride with my brights on during the day and off during the night. Even though I try my best to avoid being out on 2 wheels after dark if at all possible.
Oh yea I didn't mention it but that's what I do: on during the day, off at night.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have 1000rr mirrors and led pegs, as well as reflective rim tape (yeah, I said it). I ride pretty much every day, and this time of year it gets dark early, so I try to be as lit up as possible (take that however you like).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check out Tripage LED they have tons of goodies to make your bike more noticeable at night. I have a Tripage Brake light (not integrated), with signals built into my passenger pegs (also done by Tripage) which is key as integrated tail lights leave out the separation required to determine which way the blinker is actually flashing.

You can buy relays from them that will make your brake lights flicker in multiple ways of your choice and if your patient they are coming out with a a relay to make the lights in the pegs flash patterns as well, next year. The pegs are completely customizable as in how many lights, where they are located (you can put LEDs on the side of the peg as well), and what each light does (running only, brake only, flasher only etc....).

I will also add that I like to ride with my low beams on at night as well, not only to not blind other drivers but as a tool to be able to use if I need to get someone's attention. Not much use if you can tell someone can't see you and you want to get their attention and your brights are already on. Not sure if that makes sense lol.

There are tons of companies that make lights for our bikes but Tripage definitely has some of the brightest, easiest to use and best customer service.

They recently made me a custom switch to turn my headlights all the way off so I can ride my bike to the track, turn off the lights and tape up rather then needing to pull fairings off and unplug them! :cruising:

There are other vendors on this site that sell quality products as well! Check them all out.

https://tripageled.com/store/

·
Registered
903 Posts
Another option is retroflective (or retroreflective) tape. It's adhesive backed vinyl that's colored face has reflective micro beads in it. Pretty much the same stuff as the reflective rim stripes or products that have reflective graphics. You can get it in various colors in bulk sheets. You can cut custom patterns or graphics (or get it professionally cut for complex graphics) and stick it on your helmet, jacket, or parts of your bike.

I'm planning on doing my helmet & maybe a pattern on the back of my jacket. Of course on leather it's likely temporary but could probably get a season out of it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
394 Posts
Best stuff out there is this
put it on the back sides and front of your helmet. It's like reflectors on your head, and it's bright as hell with any light hitting it. ... Much brighter than any sort of rim tape I have seen.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can't articulate why but imo reflective tape seems counter productive.
That doesn't make any sense.. When I'm driving at night the first the I do if I see anything reflect back at me is try to figure out what it is. Be it a deer, jogger, or bicycle rider, doesn't matter because I need to know what's there. The people who ignore the reflective tape will hit you regardless of what you're wearing.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
That doesn't make any sense.. When I'm driving at night the first the I do if I see anything reflect back at me is try to figure out what it is. Be it a deer, jogger, or bicycle rider, doesn't matter because I need to know what's there. The people who ignore the reflective tape will hit you regardless of what you're wearing.
Out of curiosity,when you see some reflective tape and you're trying to figure out what it is, are you looking at it?

Also the second part of your statement supports the argument of don't bother with it rather than do...at the end of the day you gotta pretend like you're literally invisible so if a little piece of tape could change that entire dynamic riders wouldn't still mention it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Out of curiosity,when you see some reflective tape and you're trying to figure out what it is, are you looking at it?

Also the second part of your statement supports the argument of don't bother with it rather than do...at the end of the day you gotta pretend like you're literally invisible so if a little piece of tape could change that entire dynamic riders wouldn't still mention it.
The second part doesn't support that.. Giving people the chance to notice you will only help you out. A lot of riders get hit because someone genuinely didn't see them, and if I can give those drivers a chance to notice me then I will.

I look around the tape to answer your first question.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
The second part doesn't support that.. Giving people the chance to notice you will only help you out. A lot of riders get hit because someone genuinely didn't see them, and if I can give those drivers a chance to notice me then I will.

I look around the tape to answer your first question.
Dude, they're gonna say they didn't see you regardless. My impression based on the tape thing is making your own pattern with it, unlike the stock reflectors which are pretty uniform across even bicycles. So my question, keeping target fixation in mind, is why give them something to look at which might take too long for someone to process and react to?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i realized having my high beam on at night was a bad idea when i kept getting flipped off by oncoming traffic at stop lights. Getting some reflectors and brighter running lights for the rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts