Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First, let me apologize for posting this thread. 1 - I didn't want to register on Kawasaki Forum. 2 - I'm sure some of us folks have the 250's. 3 - I couldn't find jack on google or in the Kawasaki Forum. 4 - I don't have the manual.

My questions are simple.
  1. How many chain links does a 2001 Ninja 250R need? (ex: 110 or 120)
  2. What size is the chain? (I assume 520)
  3. How many teeth is the front sprocket / rear sprocket?
Thank you guys. I'm helping out a friend with this as he has no clue on how to do such task.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I will share my wisdom with you only because I use to have a ninja 650r and I was apart of that family not too long ago. Your looking at a 15/45 stock gearing and it is a 520 chain. Usually you will have to cut down your chain, but what I found is that it should be around 106 links with a non 0ring chain. Good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
I guess I can have him count the links and the teeth on the back sprocket...
All the sprockets I've ever seen always have the teeth numbers stamped on them. I started on a Ninja 250, but when I bought it it had a 42T rear sprocket--NOT stock. I think stock is 43 or 44. As far as the number of links in the chain, good luck..

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting...I just had him count it and his bike uses 106 links (45 of those figure 8 / peanut shape) and the rear sprocket has 45 while the front has 14.

Any after market sprockets do you guys recommend (for the same price as OEM) or should I stick to OEM? I can't speak for Kawasaki, but for Honda, I would buy OEM stuff.

Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you sure the front sprocket is stock? I could have sworn it was a 15 in the front. It depends on what you want out of the bike. If you want more torque then go down 1 with the front and/or go up with the rear sprocket. If you want more top end and not sitting at as high rpms while on the road then go up in the front and/or down in the rear. Driven has good chain and sprocket kits at reasonable price. If you like where your gearing and rpm's are then just stay with what you got or oem.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure the front sprocket is stock? I could have sworn it was a 15 in the front. It depends on what you want out of the bike. If you want more torque then go down 1 with the front and/or go up with the rear sprocket. If you want more top end and not sitting at as high rpms while on the road then go up in the front and/or down in the rear. Driven has good chain and sprocket kits at reasonable price. If you like where your gearing and rpm's are then just stay with what you got or oem.
That I'm not sure. My friend counted the teeth. He did buy it used and I have no idea if the previous owner mod it or not. I'll just stick to whatever the OEM specs is and hopefully someone can confirm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts