Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know such a topic has been discussed before, I've certainly read many, I just want to try it once myself.

I took the MSF course and got my 2008 Ninja 250r as my first motorcycle a little over a month ago. In that time, I've put almost 2000 miles on it. 75%+ of those being fairly technical twisties at the best of my ability... I went to Tail of the Dragon last week and was pleasantly surprised to know that I have roads of equal caliber right outside my home. I've been enjoying it immensely and laugh at the ignorance of those who call my 250 'gay' after they have to ask what it is I'm riding. I'd like to think I'm coming along pretty quickly, and try to ride to learn. I'm a pretty responsible person, I try to take things at my own pace.

At the same time, I often develop a significant fascination for things, right now, it's motorcycles. The whole time I've been comparing facts and figures, comparing machines to machines, excluding myself from the equation entirely. I've always told myself a 600cc supersport is what I wanted. The 250r was a learner bike, something that I know I might sell in a month (which was fine with me, even if I did take a loss, it would be worth the money). So I have been keeping an eye out for a 600rr since even BEFORE I got the 250r. Not that the 250r has disappointed me, I just wanted to step up to "what everyone else had". If nothing else, I kept telling myself I wanted lower bars, rearsets, etc for my Ninja, which didn't seem justifiable costwise. Last week my dream came true, found an amazing deal on a 2007 600rr. Had to have it. Even if it was too early, I could just garage it until I was ready, or sell it for at least what I paid.

So, riding it home I was pretty frightened. The riding position is nice... the thing seems overall so much better built than the 250r. But even taking it easy from a stop, it is obvious how much power the bike has... and I still never got it over 7k RPM the whole 3hr ride home. To the time of this writing, I still haven't taken it over 9k (though I have only ridden it again once since, still not tagged). I'm sure I'd get more used to it with time. The Ninja 250r was crazy fast when I first got on it, too. I also remember the RPM I raised it to each of the first few days of riding it. I just wonder, despite years of anticipation, whether a 600cc supersport is "for me".

I have felt like during my two excursions on the 600rr that it is too much for the street. Specifically, I'm not interested in 100mph+, or cruising, or any extreme law-breaking. I like watching high-speed stuff and do not hesitate to have fun with my car, I just don't want any more big tickets. I live near many twisty roads and I have a lot of fun on those: I'd say 'fast' for me (/for these roads) is about 60mph. I use the highways, even on my Ninja 250r, and have done the appropriate speeds (and then some), but of course a straight line just isn't the same as a good mountainous turn. I am not a casual-type rider, I feel like I am "getting into it" each time I ride it, trying to slide yet further off the seat, lean it closer down. When I've ridden my 600rr on the same places I've devastated on my 250r, I feel like I have to take it very easy, as I can only occasionally get it to the better part of 2nd gear (and like I alluded to above: still not even in the powerband). I'm not confident leaning it nearly as far (not that I'm getting low by any means on my 250r, for all I know). Around town the 600rr feels like a chore, with the wide tank (again, don't really mind the bars/pegs). The 600rr is however GREAT for the highway, it is so smooth and nice feeling compared to the 250r buzzing along.

I am by no means tired of 250cc. There are so many that start on or quickly move to a 600cc. I feel like riding the 600rr has made me appreciate my 250r more. If I had one complaint, it is that the 250r's acceleration is underwhelming, I'm nearly required to take it to redline almost every time. Yes, it teaches me a lot about conservation of momentum and all, and the need for acceleration isn't that great once I'm already at speed. The 600rr feels capable of so much more... too much more?

So the idea of "riding the 250 until I feel comfortable to step up". I don't know if that is the right mentality. Riding the 250r just makes me more and more used to 35hp. When I got my first car, no amount of riding a bicycle could have prepared me. When I got my second car, no amount of seat time in a Taurus could have prepared me for it. Even though my 250r is decidedly slower than my car, it still FELT much much faster. When I rode my 250r in between 600rr attempts, it only made getting back on the 600rr even more intimidating than if I had just continued to ride it. I know a lot can still be learned from the 250r, but I feel like I'm just getting more and more confident with that amount of power, not somehow adjusting myself to the speed.

I know where all this looks like it is going. Before anything else, I also want to cover the idea of stepping up slower. I don't see anything between the 600rr and 250r that interests me. I keep looking for something like a 400rr (I know they existed, I just mean to use this as a metaphor). SV650, Ninja 650r, etc all seem like larger touring machines instead of the supersport shape I desire. I know there's the F4i, but I feel like I would be choosing something inferior just to make myself feel better about getting a 600cc.

Anyway, like I said, I know this has been discussed at length, just wondering if this time I can pick up any more advice. I really do love my 250r. I like my 600rr, I just don't feel like I'm in love with it yet. I don't know what that means.

EDIT all of this completely excludes the cost of ownership aspects. The 600rr insurance is 3x as much, the gas costs more too. I don't want it to influence my decision, either is totally affordable and worth it, it just keeps popping back into my mind.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you've already bought the 600rr you might as well be riding it. You've learned the basics on the 250, now get on that rr!! Just don't push it until you feel comfortable. The only way to improve is with practice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The SV650 is a great bike. The riding position is sporty but comfortable, It is definitely not a touring/sport touring bike. I rode one for 3 years. At roughly 70hp it was never too fast if I didn't want it to be and the handling is on par with most sport bikes. It's a V twin, so with a nice aftermarket exhaust it sounds sooo killer. I had a Leo Vince on mine and had it repainted so it didn't have any decals on it. I frequently was asked if it was an Italian bike.
Mine was a 99 (1st gen) and at the time it only came as a naked bike. I loved it so much. Around town it was great because it was not so twitchy like a I4 and the torque was so smooth I never once felt out of control on it. You can find newer ones with a full fairing, half fairing, or naked and they all look great. I love the ladder frame that is visible on all but the fully faired versions. It is a light bike, definitely not as light as your 250 but still so easy to flick through the twisties and not feel like you have to muscle it around and it is very nimble for in town riding, I always felt super comfy on mine.

Here you can see that I had about 1/2 inch of unused tire on either side. I rode the crap out of this bike and it never let me down. It was a blast to ride, so much that when I started looking for another bike I was pretty sure that I was getting another SV but came across the CBR and couldn't pass up the deal I got.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird, when I look up the specs, the seat height isn't as high as it looks either. I haven't sat on one, but they just look... in person... really really tall. I'm of average height, yet have trouble putting both feet flat on even my 250r (riding boots seem to be to blame, it was no problem before then).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mind if I ask your height/weight, Andrew?

And I'd be thinkin along the same lines as Mslaughter. Since you already own the RR, ride it man. You don't have to push your limits on it, just take it easy and let yourself get used to the extra power at your own pace. After you've put a few hundred miles (or more) on it, if you still think it's more than you need, sell it and go on enjoying your 250. But you should give the RR a chance, imo. Just take it slow, be safe, and remember to have fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1 on keeping the CBR a while longer.

There is a lot more there with the 600, and it's good that you acknowledge that. As long as you respect the power that you have on tap you'll be okay. Like you said, you like to learn at your own pace and there's nothing wrong with taking it easy until you get used to the bike.

I know this next statement is biased but I think most will agree...

Once you log some miles on the CBR and really get a sense of how it "feels" I really think you'll fall in love with it. IMO these are some of the best handling bikes made and they're TONS of fun.

Take your time getting used to it, enjoy it and have fun progressing!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I doubt many people can get accustomed to a 600 cc SS in just two sessions. Give it time, once you are accustomed to the bike, you'll see how versatile a CBR really is. At 2000 miles on your 250R, you are still a new rider, I'd put some more miles on the 250 before switching over.

·
Registered
580 Posts
ride it a bit more without feeling the NEED to go over 9-10k rpm. Just get a feel for it. You are already riding for a bit, so you won't have the beginner trouble at the traffic lights or slow speed control that much. Ride the mountain pass in 3rd or 4th gear rather than 2nd so that the throttle isn't too sensitive.
I remember when I first started venturing into the 9k rpm+ from first to second gear, I wondered ow the hell does everyone hold on! So ride it at your pace and in time you'll be used to it.
Although 2000 miles is what it would take(if you've just started riding) before you really know the bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, thanks guys. I suppose yes, more time to give it a fair chance... if I'm still disappointed, I'll get rid of it (but I doubt that will be the case). At least now I have a garage to store it in.

But overall, in general, the 600rr doesn't feel like "way too much" for twisties and in-town putting around? Right now I can appreciate the 600rr's highway performance, of course, when compared to the 250r, because it is so much easier than actual riding.

I am 5'9", 145lbs.

I got it for around $4300 (maybe less if I can sell this second free helmet). It had a cracked lower fairing and front cowl from a tip-over. I've ordered replacements of both, used, totaling $100. New just cost so much, and the bike is already used. I'm disappointed with the quality of the front cowl I got from Ebay, so I might end up getting new plastics anyway, who knows. But the rest of the bike is fine minus some small imperfections. 6k miles, white (what I wanted), 100% stock. I feel like the deal was good enough that I had to get it, even if I wasn't interested in riding it quite yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 600rr is actually one of the best bikes to learn on. The shorter wheel base and it's ergonomic design will make a beginner ride like a pro. It's very forgiving to changes in mid turn and is very "flickable".

Just take your time, and soon you will see that you can tame that beast.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My wife just bought a 20010 ninja 250. Its her first bike and they look nothing like they use to. They actually look pretty good now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cbr600rr is my second bike and it is very rider friendly. My first bike was a 2006 r6 and I liked it but this cbr is sick and alot faster.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
To OP: You may have discovered that you aren't much of the sportbike type. There's nothing wrong with that. It's about the ride and your enjoyment. :cruising:

Giving that you are coming from the 250r (nice choice by the way) you might be more comfortable with the ergos of the Ninja 650r, SV650 (or full fairing S) or FZ6.

The 600RR is by no means the end all, be all bike for every rider. No bike is for that matter.

If anything, you may want to look into some more rider education to help you put the pieces together on what you are experiencing and why. If you are not comfortable on the bike, you aren't going to want to go out and ride it, which screws up the whole idea of just putting more miles on the seat.

If you are going to try the "more seat time" approach, remember the fundamentals and apply them. Take your time and work on exercises like cornering, braking and swerving.

Good luck with whatever you decide on..

·
BOTM Winner 01/12
614 Posts
I got it for around $4300 (maybe less if I can sell this second free helmet). It had a cracked lower fairing and front cowl from a tip-over. I've ordered replacements of both, used, totaling $100. New just cost so much, and the bike is already used. I'm disappointed with the quality of the front cowl I got from Ebay, so I might end up getting new plastics anyway, who knows. But the rest of the bike is fine minus some small imperfections. 6k miles, white (what I wanted), 100% stock. I feel like the deal was good enough that I had to get it, even if I wasn't interested in riding it quite yet.

Wow, that is pretty impressive, quite a deal, I haven't found a deal like that in my area. Good luck with the bike and enjoy riding!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow, that is pretty impressive, quite a deal, I haven't found a deal like that in my area. Good luck with the bike and enjoy riding!
:+1: I haven't seen a deal anywhere near that good either, so nice find man. And GL as well, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like you have grown out of your 250r but have become comfortable with it. That comfortability is making you intimidated to upgrade and learn more about your 600rr. If your not interested in top end speed on the 600rr there are many options to make the bike rider friendly. I did a -1/+2 sprocket change for low end power and its great. For twisties thats all you need. I think youll find that the more you ride the 600rr you will love it just like you feel in love with your 250rr. Youll notice your turns tighten up and become more fluent and once you learn your gears and where the power is at you will have no worries compared to redlining your 250. You got an awesome bike (600rr) I suggest getting to know it like you did with the 250.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't expect to be familiar with the RR after two rides. I picked mine up last fall after being on an SV for about five years and i'm still nowhere near as comfortable as I was on my SV. Just give it time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yea just do everything at your own pace! i do the same for me.
not every bike is the same you know!
its much more fun afterwards :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts