Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone will have any imput but I hope so. I'm thinking about getting my girlfriend a ninja 250. I own a 600rr and love it. But I think it's to big for her. She has never driven one and she is only 120 lbs and probably 5'8". What do you guys think about them?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I say go for it! It should be a good bike for her to learn on.... unless you are really that concerned that she can't handle it.

You can always teach her clutch/throttle control on a nice little dirt bike, or a sweet scooter or moped! :cruising:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it true that people get bored of them quick. I think she will learn easier but I don't want it to be a waste of money. She drove mine once and did ok but she didn't ride far

·
Registered
147 Posts
A Ninja 250 is a fun, quick bike, and the 2008+ model looks like a full fledged crotch rocket. All for relatively short money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it true that people get bored of them quick. I think she will learn easier but I don't want it to be a waste of money. She drove mine once and did ok but she didn't ride far
Yo,

I started on an 09 250, I own a 600RR now. Anyway, to answer your question, no you do not get bored of them quick. A good rider on a 250 can easily take on a noob on a 600 in the twisties. You are also correct that the 250 is much easier to learn. I took the 250 out for 100 miles day before yesterday on twisties close to my house :D. The 250 was very easy to ride on the twisties because of less weight and smaller tire radii. It was a lot of fun.

I took the 600 yesterday for a 200 mile ride though :D.

Good luck, ride safe.

Bart

·
Registered
588 Posts
Either a 250 or maybe a on road/off road. Comfortable seating position, low end so hard to stall, fun as hell to ride and a little more power than a ninja. I got bored of my ninja in short time but I also had faster dirt bikes, snowmobiles, cars etc so while it was smart to start on it, I was over qualified I guess for the riding I do

·
Registered
416 Posts
250 would be perfect. As for the whole "getting bored" idea, so what. Buy it used for under or around $3000, when shes done with it and ready to move up, you can usually sell them for what you paid for it in the first place! Ppl think, oh, I should get a 600 bc it makes more financial sense. Which is total BS. Sometimes if you find another noob looking for a 250 you might even get a few hundred more than what you paid. Especially if you find an awesome deal on an 08+ Ninja 250.

Good luck on the hunt for the bike!:cruising:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well for one, I wouldn't buy anything this expensive for a girlfriend. But that's your prerogative.

If she has never ridden a bike, MSF course is the way to go first off.

As for the 250R... I bought an 03 new and put over 50k miles on it before I sold it. Without getting into all the details, I was spoiled by my friend letting me ride his R6 whenever I wanted while he owned it. The contrast gave me a negative opinion of the 250 as it reeked of cheapness in almost every way in comparison to the Yamaha. These newer models look a lot nicer than the 03 I had though, but they are more expensive. I would def buy used on these. For instance, looking at cycle trader I can pick up an 09 with 3k miles on it for 2995. That would be more than 1k off MSRP atfter TTL. Personally, that's a way better deal IMO than getting new.

Are they a good beginner bike? I believe it was for me, but you can still get into trouble with them. If your girlfriend gets the need for speed, and you ever let her ride your 600, she may still enjoy riding the 250 but wish she riding a 600 the whole time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well she isn't just my girlfriend she is my fiancé so I'm not worried about her leaving me with it. I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys because I figured someone has been in this boat

·
Registered
136 Posts
First... 250R is Definitely not too big for her. She's about 4" taller and about the same weight than I am and I learned on an SV650S which is easily 3" taller than a 250 and 100lbs heavier.

I would say get her a used 250 or SV. Make her pay 1/2 so she has a vested interest in learning. Don't buy new. We girls aren't as strong as you boys... Drops happen and the last thing we need is to feel shitty about how we wasted money scratching up a brand new bike.

Also, if she really wants to ride something bigger to keep up with you... I would say start on the SV for sure. The 250 is a breeding ground for bad habits regarding braking and weight management... A dear friend of mine dropped her 600rr in the first week because she stopped too hard with the bigger brakes and then tried to catch and support the bike on her knee, like she always did with her 250... She managed to pin herself under it when it inevitably overpowered her.

That's my two cents. I think it's great that she wants to ride though!

·
Registered
136 Posts
If she has never ridden a bike, MSF course is the way to go first off.
:+1::+1::+1: I forgot to add this to my tirade! Do this before buying her a bike!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh ya she is taking the safety course she wants to. I'm actually going to take it too. It can't hurt

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 250 is a breeding ground for bad habits regarding braking and weight management... A dear friend of mine dropped her 600rr in the first week because she stopped too hard with the bigger brakes and then tried to catch and support the bike on her knee, like she always did with her 250... She managed to pin herself under it when it inevitably overpowered her.

The bike didn't breed bad riding habits, your friend did.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The bike didn't breed bad riding habits, your friend did.
Forums are for sharing opinions. I got mine out... this is yours.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts