Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im moving to a new apt in a nice area, but they do not offer me a garage for my baby girl! so i'm gunna get a spot under a car port and i was thinking of covering her up every night and putting a big fat chain around the bikes rear (or front, which is better) tire so as to discourage would be bike takers! my bedroom window is also going to be right by the parking spot...but im just very nervous! any one have any advice?

·
Registered
939 Posts
A ground anchor for both front and rear wheels would be the way to go. You have to drill and bolt them into the floor so you'd probably need premission but when you move you can take them with you and fill in the holes. Seriously, in your position it would be that or I'd find another place to live....
Or maybe one of those bike safes..

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Like others have said, Id look for a metal or wood post to chain the bike to. Not fail safe but pretty cheap and easy enough to do. Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I lived in dallas over the summer and they didnt have any carport spots left so i always parked in the spot right next to the carport, got a metal cord wrapped in clear plastic (got at hardware store) i would wrap the cable through the rear tire and the swingarm and around the poll holding the carport( didnt wanna wake up in the morning and only see a rear wheel sitting there. and then i would cover it. I was worried but just make sure you have insurance and youll be fine. Or if your on the first floor just pull her in your apt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would def recommend an alarm and/or some kinda GPS system. Cover and chain will def help but alarm and insurance coverage are your only "fail safes". I was in a similar situation, window right outside the carport etc, and my first RR was stolen when i was at a party one night and i had it chained and parked right next to a cement post and the f***ers still got it...so def make sure to have something more than just a chain/cover and you should be alright.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if sum1 whats the bike they are going to take it regardless what u do... anything man made is made to be altered jus my 2cents

·
Registered
309 Posts
Get a quality alarm that has the keychain fob with loud alert. Also invest in a .40 or .45 caliber glock, xd, sig, taurus, s&w etc. If you're going to spend money you may as well spend it in an area that is multipurpose. Go to kinkos and make a sign that says "remove the lock...get shot." My aim is viscious with various semi automatics, but anyways as long as you've got gap coverage just do what you can. A determined person can accomplish anything at anytime. We can't prevent it all, but if you do catch one of those theiving {uckers, please do make an example out of them.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
add an alarm system along with the chain and bike cover. if you can afford it get full insurance too.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
roll it into the apartment

Damn, I don't know how so many of your are able to just roll it into an apartment...I'm assuming you guys are all pretty tall. I'm 5' 5", about 125 pounds of muscle and bones, and I don't think I can even roll it over a soda can. How do you guys handle the bike? While sitting on top of it?

To answer the OP's question. If you're that afraid, all the aforementioned devices are good. I have a Xena Alarm Disc Brake that works pretty well. But from what everyone tells me, full coverage is the best way to go; if someone stills your baby, you could actually get more money than what you actually got it for (if you paid below KBB value when you purchased it). Best of luck, and ride safely.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Get a quality alarm that has the keychain fob with loud alert. Also invest in a .40 or .45 caliber glock, xd, sig, taurus, s&w etc. If you're going to spend money you may as well spend it in an area that is multipurpose. Go to kinkos and make a sign that says "remove the lock...get shot." My aim is viscious with various semi automatics, but anyways as long as you've got gap coverage just do what you can. A determined person can accomplish anything at anytime. We can't prevent it all, but if you do catch one of those theiving {uckers, please do make an example out of them.
+1111111

I am in the same situation .... My solution : scorpio alarm w/ page remote (tilt/perimeter functionality) and a trusty HK P2000SK . Have a bike cover w/ lock on rear tire. If I hear the keyfob, *put on glasses (gotta see you know ;)) .. Grab the HK and head for the parking lot right outside my apt.

I was nervous before I got the alarm and my piece... After i did, I sleep real good at night. Also have full coverage.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
My buddy had his Ducati park out in his car port with a cover and a disc lock. Then one day he noticed the cover was pulled up a little at one end and he immediately pushed it into his apartment. Luckily he lives on the 1st floor and towards the back of the complex. The one problem with keeping your bike in your apartment is management usually don't like it.

But no matter what you do when you keep your bike outside, if someone wants it they will take it one way or other. It also helps to make sure you don't create a routine that someone watching can pick up on and steal your bike easier. Good luck though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
+1 for the fattest chain possible (like an imobilizer) a cover, disc brake, anchor, fake camera (or real) A video tapying sign (by the entrance - if you did by the bike they probably figure it was fake), a light just do the entire works realy... but insurance is a MUST

1 - 20 of 26 Posts