Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yeah a couple weeks ago I got pulled over. Cop didn't say I did anything wrong but as I went for my wallet.... it wasn't there :five:

So I told him I was sorry I ran outta the house and left my wallet there. I told him all my information so he could run my name.

He comes back and says that I don't have a license to be riding my bike. I explained to him that I have a permit. He says "WEEELL I don't know anything about that" I paused for a second cause I didn't understand what the **** he didn't understand.

So I told him the only difference with a permit and a license is I have to renew my permit every 6 months (I've just been to lazy to get my license, I will this week or next) and I cannot have a passenger. Again he comes back with "Well I don't know anything about that" So he gives me a ticket for

"Operated a motorcycle when driver's license not validated for such operation"

I called the court and explained that I have a permit and would like to just come in and show them and get this taken care of instead of waiting till Sept 2nd. They told me nope, can't do that.

Called my lawyer, explained it all. He tells me he'll take care of it for $100. I said no no no, shouldn't I not have to pay anything when I have a permit and just didn't have it on me. Same thing when you don't have your insurance on you, go to court and show them. Bam, thrown out the window.

He says "well, I dunno, they may do that they may not" WTF !!!

Call my brother who is a cop. He isn't sure either. I'm giving him the ticket this Saturday and he's gonna call around and probably get it taken care of.

Anyone know what would happen if I went in front of the judge and showed him my permit. I mean the damn DMV has records of me renewing it 3-4-2009 as it expires 9-4-2009 (funny enough my court date is two days before it expires)

EDIT : On a side note another cop pulls up and talks to the other cop for a sec then comes up to me and we start talking about bikes. He loves my bike and is askin me this and that. Admiring the bike like a cop should. Then asks me why I don't have my Motorcycle endorsement. I asked him if he ment the MSF class or my license. He says MSF. I tell him I don't have $230 to pay for it cause I'm laid off. He then says "HOLY **** that's expensive" hahaha, really cool cop.

·
Registered
363 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAIL. It is EXPIRED!!!
Unless since you got it 3-4-2009, you meant 9-4-2009 .

So I told him the only difference with a permit and a license is I have to renew my permit every 6 months

·
Registered
363 Posts
DAMNIT!!!!!!! Guess Im TOO SLOW. Im at work so I cant post pics, If I could I would post a pic of some retarded kid. (Someone want the honor of doing so?)

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Yes you are too slow. haha

I was looking at all kinds of numbers with the license and the ticket, I got the numbers mixed up.

Anyways! Back to legal advice girls!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well, he shouldn't have written you a ticket for unlicensed to operate the vehicle, but you should have gotten a ticket for not having your license/permit on you. I'm not sure you should go in there with the attitude that you did nothing wrong, because you didn't have the permit. If you explain that to the judge, you'll possibly get a fine for that.. not sure though. Quite the pickle.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, he shouldn't have written you a ticket for unlicensed to operate the vehicle, but you should have gotten a ticket for not having your license/permit on you. I'm not sure you should go in there with the attitude that you did nothing wrong, because you didn't have the permit. If you explain that to the judge, you'll possibly get a fine for that.. not sure though. Quite the pickle.
Oh no, I know that I was wrong and it was my fault.

I am just wondering if I go in front of the judge and explain that I just didn't have it on me, will I have to pay a fine?

Whenever you don't have your insurance card you show up and show them your insurance card and that you WERE insured when you were pulled over and they throw it out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here in WI, you get a ticket for not having your licences in your possesion..

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
dude, just show up to a traffic court date and just walk up and talk to the judge after he gets finished with everyone. Show him the ticket, show him your permit. he will drop it.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Here in WI, you get a ticket for not having your licences in your possesion..
You guys are treated unfairly in the States. Up here where I live, the RCMP put out a PSA telling vehicle owners to leave their license and registration at home if they will be parking in a public place to prevent car thieves from getting home addresses from your documents. If you get pulled over, you have 48 hours to go to the precinct and present your ID.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
You guys are treated unfairly in the States. Up here where I live, the RCMP put out a PSA telling vehicle owners to leave their license and registration at home if they will be parking in a public place to prevent car thieves from getting home addresses from your documents. If you get pulled over, you have 48 hours to go to the precinct and present your ID.
yea, but i'd rather be required to carry my license, registration, and proof of insurance than have to be french-canadian, eh:all_cohol

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Go get your license.... You don't have a job so you have nothing else to do. This will show the judge that you are putting an effort to make sure you are legal. Get the real license and then bring in the permit with it. Didn't have the permit on me, sorry it will not happen again. I have taken the inititive and got my license. Act sincere. Court cost and not having proper documentation on you while riding. move on. T

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Call the solicitor and talk it over. If not, then I suppose you should predict the likelyhood that it will be dropped (costing 0) vs. having to pay the fine (You didn't say what it was). Take the probability weighted average of those figures. Compare that to the 100 bucks. If it is less, then go to court, else pay the lawyer.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
PM Sent about this.

The laws here in Missouri state that on the Permit you can not operate a motorcycle at Night or With a Passenger.

If you got pulled over and it was Nighttime, then pay your lawyer the $100 and get it taken care of.

But..if St. Louis Courts are anything like they are here in Kansas City, Show up on your court date, plea Not Guilty, and show the Judge your Motorcycle Permit. Charges will be dropped, and you'll have to pay Court Costs.

You can also call the Courthouse and see if you can sit down and talk with the Prosecuting Attorney and show him/her the Permit. Same thing will happen. Charges will be dropped and you might have to pay Court Costs.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go get my license tomorrow. I've just been lazy about it. That and I hate the driving instructors here in St.Charles. All 70 year old **** heads.

Anyways, I'll get it tomorrow, thanks again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's strange. I'm not doubting your knowledge of your state's laws... but every state I've lived/worked in, a motorcycle permit requires that you ride with a licensed rider over 21. If that's not the case in your state, I would simply present your permit (preferably present your M license as T said) to the judge and tell him you are VERY sorry and it will never happen again. Then make sure it doesn't.

Edit: This may also be a hard time for the LEO's wallet. An unfortunate truth to some officers is that they write tickets that may be ridiculous, but they get paid $40-$50 everytime they show up to court. So if it get's thrown out, they still get paid. Sad but true.

·
Registered
593 Posts
get your license and the ticket will be dropped....ya got to have it and as you have admitted your just being lazy....its not like you wont be able to pass right. also cpos tend to write for everything when you havent got a liscense where if you went to the trouble to be able to ride legal... insurence, liscense, helmet, they tend to no write at all. good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts