Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeez, what is it with the people on this board not wanting headlights on, using flushmount turn signals no one can see..? Just get race bodywork and paint it like the stock items and be done with it, no holes no lights no one will see you like you want. If you believe your bike looks bad because it has a headlight on one side you should have bought something else. If you just want the people next you you to know your turning instead of the people coming at you, make sure your life insurance is paid up. If you think your headlight on or highbean during the day) dosent make people see you more than no light, paint your bike matte black and wear a camo jacket and helmet. I'm not saying I like stock signals, I just want them to look better and function as well. As far a headlights, if you only have one on and its not enough for you, put your high beam on or install some HIDs. It's like the loud pipes save lives crap but if you wanted the loud pipe to be heard by the people that most commonly hit bikes (75% are people who turn left across a bikes path) you should have the pipe facing forward. So put that bright light on, not shut it off.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I really couldn't care less if there is one headlight or five. As long as people see me it really doesn't matter.

While I was at a stop light I had one guy yelll to me that I had a headlight blown out................LOL. Hey, at least he noticed it. :bounce:

C

·
0 Posts
CBRBob,
Shortstalks are the way to go IMO to clean up that bulky stock signal. Very visible. Thats what I will be purchasing.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
dciufo said:
I really couldn't care less if there is one headlight or five. As long as people see me it really doesn't matter.

While I was at a stop light I had one guy yelll to me that I had a headlight blown out................LOL. Hey, at least he noticed it. :bounce:
I've had several people tell me this as well. But to be honest, I like the look of the one headlight burning.
Actually, when I first picked up my bike I had a friend bring me to the shop to get it....at one stoplight he gets out of his car in front of me, comes back to the bike and is like...."you've got a headlight out already"...I just laughed it off as I left his ass in his WS6 going home :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree about the safety concerns about everything but that is not my style. I don't ride at night and 90% of the time I'm on my bike I'm on back road w/ no traffic. The other 10% I'm on a highway to get to the backroads. If I had my choice and the law didn't matter I would get race fairings and then paint them flat black or flat grey or something. (No headlights/brakelight/or turn signals) But hell that's just me. I already ride like no one sees me and those that do wanta kill me. :shock:

Oh yeah, and the one light look is NOT a factor in this. Just my feeling of what is really necessary where and how I ride.

·
Registered
543 Posts
a good reason!

As much as one would think that signals are ugly and bulky, it's best to keep them on the way they are!...they don't affect performance and actually give you a chance to enjoy your bike more by being able to clearly indicate your intentions when you ride!(unless you don't use your signals at all!). riding is always risky and most cagers who don't ride will never understand our position on the road, which is to have the same priority as a car..or any other vehicle for that matter!...so, minimizing your chances of being clearly visible will definetly not make your rides as safe as they can be!.....as for the single headlight, it's nice to have 1 low beam and the other as a high beam...it catches the attention of a driver easier when flasing to overtake or to warn oncoming traffic not to turn in front of you!.....instaed of speanding the money on flush mounts, it would be best to change the cheap horn on the bike for a decent one that can be heard better!.....that's my opinion! :bandito:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
i had a guard at the gate of the army base here tell me i couldn't come on post until i fixed the headlight on my bike... i had to pull over to show him and explain to him that the bike was designed that way... i got a good laugh

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
natecoop said:
i had a guard at the gate of the army base here tell me i couldn't come on post until i fixed the headlight on my bike... i had to pull over to show him and explain to him that the bike was designed that way... i got a good laugh
Yeah, they've pissed me off plenty of times. Some of them are cool but occasionally you get someone who just pinned on an extra stripe and try to be all hard. :bebored:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Be seen or be dead...............it's only a matter of time. :shock:

I installed the headlight & break light modulators and have noticed that they do make a difference. Easy to install and if it saves your butt just once....it's well worth the price.

http://www.comagination.com/mod.htm

:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some authorities (in the UK anyway) believe that riding/driving with headlights on can attribute to more accidents, because they can create a misleading perception of speed and distance...and going over bumps can make it look like you're flashing the headlights...

Some insurance companies will even use this against you in the event of an accident, and hence shift the blame (if applicable).

I don't have a choice with the RR, but I have always ridden with lights on anyway, and I've always tried to be vigilant about my riding...although the fantastic brakes on the RR has often left me taking speed for granted. :roll: :bitchslap:

Some flushmounts/indicators are brighter than standard items, but I do agree that there are some potentially dangerous goods out there.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can have a 100watt halogen bulb in a flushmount, but if it faces the side no one who needs to will see it. 99% of the short stalks are very bright but only right where the bulb is. K&S makes a DOT approved short stalk. The only difference between it and the regular one they sell (besides the little SAE lettering on the lens) is that it has a reflector behind the bulb, effectively lighting up the whole lens and shining light in all directions. Remember a LED bulb with nothing in front of it illuminates just 22deg. Bikes with stock LED taillights have lenses in front of them to further disperse the light. Those LED passenger pegs are a joke, unless you add them to what you have already. Those LED bulbs you can get to replace your stock bulb in your brakelight are horrible. They just have a tiny bright spot on the middle because the stock brakelight uses a regular bulb (light emits everywhere) and uses a refletor to make the whole thing visible. The LED dosent utilize the refletor, you might as well mount that LED bulb outside the brakelight. I would love to have LED shortstalks but the entire cavity would have to have LEDs in there and no one makes them and they would be hell to build yourself. I do have clear front signals on my XX(inside the mirror housing...stock). They came with chrome coated bulbs to give the 'look' of no bulb. Unfortunately they gave the performance of NO BULB. In my garage with the lights out it was just visible on and when blinking it looked like I had a dead battery. I put an amber coated bulb in there, bingo, a useful light once again. It's strange, as a community, when it comes to signals we go smaller and dimmer. When it goes to headlamps we go larger or brighter. Kind of a contradiction....? We want to look stealthy but uses D&D pipes to make everyone hear us before they can see us. Problem is the people that hear us are not the ones in the cars, its the people picking up the phones in their homes complaining.
Dont get me wrong, on my XX I have DOT mini stalks in the back, the clear lenses in the front and HID in the headlamp. On my truck I have clear fronts and stock rears with slotted taillight covers and 90/100w bulbs in the headlights. Effectively every exterior light on all my street vehicles has been modified in some way yet all of what I have done passes inspection.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
CBRBob said:
Those LED passenger pegs are a joke, unless you add them to what you have already.
Hmm, I don't see your reasoning here. Those lights are extremely bright and placed in a well seen area.

Otherwise, everything else you've said makes sense.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A laser is extremely bright, but it is only bright to the exactly what it is pointing at, that one spot. LEDs are similar in how they work. They are very bright to what they are pointing at and then as you move away from their viewing angle they......aren't! Remember early big screen projection TVs? If you sat right in front of they they were great! The farther to the side you sat the worse the picture was, almost to the point of no picture. If you have stock signals already and add the LED pegs, fine, it's a trick look for sure. If you have nothing but them, you have a few 1/4" dots that hopefully are pointing at exactly who you want to see them as they have no dispersion lens like the stock 600RR taillight does. That is how bike/car manufacturers can use LEDS, they have a lens between them and the outside to spread the light around. There also needs to be distance between the LED and the lens. If you put a LED right behing a lens you have a lens with a bright spot in it and nothing else. Back the LED away and you get a full bright lens. Almost like the focal point in your eye. Or a magnifying glass in the sun. Put it at one point and you have all the light on one spot, very bright but just one spot, hard to see from a distance. Move the magnifying glass away from the table and the spot gets bigger and stays almost as bright.

·
Registered
356 Posts
CBRBob, If you're relying on front turn signals of any kind to keep you safe you're in danger. Turn signals are a courtesy to other drivers so they can see your intention, not a guarantee of safety. If you think you can turn in front of a cage safely just because you have stock signals then as you pointed out "make sure your life insurance is paid up". While your dissertation on the off-axis visibility of LEDs is excellent, I'd still hesitate to say that having LEDs instead of conventional lighting makes you any less safe, as I believe that simply riding a bike implies a degree of danger that must be accepted.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
CBRBob said:
A laser is extremely bright, but it is only bright to the exactly what it is pointing at, that one spot. LEDs are similar in how they work. They are very bright to what they are pointing at and then as you move away from their viewing angle they......aren't! Remember early big screen projection TVs? If you sat right in front of they they were great! The farther to the side you sat the worse the picture was, almost to the point of no picture.
I don't disagree completely with this statement only because the people purchasing LED's do not know what they are doing. The casing on the LED is what reflects the LED's photons not the diode itself. There are specifice diodes to ensure you get optimal viewing angles from all sides. Now, if you go out to radio shack and slap some LED's on your bike your going to get a light similar to those on a keychain. Have you seen my LED's? They are bright enough to be just under the blinding level and are viewable from all sides. I do have them installed in conjunction with my integrator.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts