Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love listening to some good music cruisin down the road, it's official, from now on it's ear plugs for me.
I was riding a minute ago, coming up on an intersection about to turn left, the yield light was on so I was watching the oncoming old man. Once I saw he was crawling his way to the intersection I went ahead. The light turned yellow right as I crossed into the intersection so I thought maybe that was why. Mid-turn I notice two cops driving around the stopped traffic right in front of me, about to turn right, directly in my line. I couldn't do anything but slam on the breaks, he hit his breaks with his cattle-guard literally 2 feet away from me. I felt like such an idiot. But we all went on our merry way. Pretty embarrassing but I figured I'd post a possible outcome of a mix of an attention grabber and deafness to the outside world mixed.
Before I get flamed about checking my surroundings and what not I almost always do, they're doing construction on a main road so this intersection is sooo backed up going east. I was going north and the cops were going east behind all the cars I could see, I was confused as to what the oncoming guy was gonna do so I was looking at him trying to figure it out. I guess I was thinking he was the main threat? I don't know. Deeeerrrpppp. :sad:

Anybody else have a close call because of their headphones?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
No close calls, I just felt it was too distracting. I would find myself speeding unintentionally and not paying close enough attention to what I was doing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
553 Posts
glad you are alright, a scar on your ego is better than on your skin.
ive thought about music/headphones but i barely use the radio in my car unless in on the highway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No doubt, but neither scars would be best haha

·
Registered
80 Posts
well if ya guys don't use headphones I highly recommend a chatterbox, can link with your iphone and play music, and there are buttons that are very convenient for you to press to pause if you feel that your music is distracting you :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I've been switching off between music and ear plugs the last couple days, I almost like no-music more. Listening to the bike, not worrying about a cop behind me. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I've also had a cop behind me, sirens blaring, trying to pull me over for over a mile on TWO occasions and wasn't able to hear them. Luckily they liked my bike. Haha

·
Registered
790 Posts
Good call. I use neither, I guess my bike with the stock exhaust is not that loud. I want to hear, see, and feel everything around me when riding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bikes loud as all hell. (GPR Deeptone no baffles) But that's not what bothers me, its wind noise I'm avoiding. You can still hear important things with plugs in, but there's little to no wind noise. Then again it depends on which plugs you use, I just use regular ol' foam ones.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My bikes loud as all hell. (GPR Deeptone no baffles) But that's not what bothers me, its wind noise I'm avoiding. You can still hear important things with plugs in, but there's little to no wind noise. Then again it depends on which plugs you use, I just use regular ol' foam ones.
what helmet are you using?
i get next to no wind noise with my rf1100

i know some people disagree, but i stand by loud pipes save lives.
i hear bikes before i see them.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I ride with earphones, but I always turn the volume down on whatever I'm listening to, while I'm on the streets. I keep it pretty low, almost like white noise...I hear it, I know it's there, but I can concentrate on my surroundings and mentally "tune back in" to what's playing on my earphones later.
If I'm on the freeway, I keep it just loud enough to hear it, or maybe a bit louder when it's my JAM! :banger:

·
Registered
122 Posts
You could just turn down your music.. o_O

Honestly feel like I'm deaf when I wear earplugs. Maybe I'm getting too good of a seal. Lol

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You could just turn down your music.. o_O

Honestly feel like I'm deaf when I wear earplugs. Maybe I'm getting too good of a seal. Lol
sounds like a damn good seal!
what do you have?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I thankfully haven't had any close calls while riding with my headphones. At first I was nervous about not being able to hear sirens or something of that nature but good luck so far. Just have to keep reminding myself to be more vigilant.
OP: Take it as a lesson learned to be aware. Your call on if you want to continue earphones or not but personally I don't think I would be able to ride without 'em. Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what helmet are you using?
i get next to no wind noise with my rf1100

i know some people disagree, but i stand by loud pipes save lives.
i hear bikes before i see them.
It's a Bell rs-1. I don't get an unbearable amount or anything, but what I do get is annoying. Plus this changed everything for me orginally posted by love2ride

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
IMO headphones are not a good idea.

I have seen several accidents caused by them.

earplugs are mandatory everytime i ride.

I hear fine with them

when I see a driver wearing ear buds, i watch for him to do dumb things.

I do not know an "old survivor" who listens to music while riding.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
I don't ever ride with headphones/music, glad you made out okay and nothing bad happened. On street I use nothing, think very important to hear as much as possible... at the track I use earplugs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dumb things definitely happen.. Started to happen pretty often to me so I'm done with em, it's obvious what I should do. I just made a new playlist to ride to this morning too so I was jammin out to some Brandon Rhyder when that happened, I'll put it to use elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts