Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my N light on the gauge cluster isn't working. It will be on for a second when you turn the key, but it doesn't come on any other time. Today I had some time so I tested the harness that plugs into the neutral detect switch and there is continuity. I'm almost certain that the switch isn't the issue, but how can I tell if it is (I tested for continuity between the brass pin where the wire connects and the spring loaded pin on the inside- there was continuity whether it was in it's normal position or pushed shut)? I tried testing for continuity between where the plug connects and the ECU (a different wiring harness) but the pins on the multimeter were too big to fit into the ECU harness so no definite answer. The bike does not currently have a kick stand sensor, but the wires are tied together (basically bypassing the sensor so the kickstand is "always up").

Any ideas what might be wrong?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have you just checked that the bulb isn't close to burned out? It may work just fine until start up due to the vibration of the bike running.

Damian

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked that, but in all honesty it shouldn't be close. I bought the bike with 6333 miles and it didn't work then. And I'm pretty sure the light is a LED if I'm not mistaken.

BTW I checked the fuses and they were all good. I'll be doing more troubleshooting after christmas...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Nutty, if you have the circuit diagram in your manual that would be awesome

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Then it's the neutral switch, the wiring to the ECU or the ECU itself.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked continuity from the switch all the way to the gauge cluster, everything checks out. But I don't see where the N light connects the ECU....the wires must change color somewhere (coming out of the gauge cluster?). Back to the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: The ECU is good. There was no clutch diode in the fuse box, but that didn't make a difference either. I tested the neutral switch according to the manual, but that checks out as good.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Ok...

The center pin of the clutch diode goes to the neutral switch. Check for continuity to the bike chassis from the centre pin both in neutral and in gear. You should only have continuity when in neutral.

If you get nothing then your problem is the neutral switch or the wiring going from the neutral switch to the diodes. If you do get continuity then it will more than likely be the diode.

Did you install new diodes?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So tonight I found my mistake. When I tested the bike last night with the diode in, I forgot to plug the neutral sensor in. When I tested it again tonight (with the switch plugged in obviously) and everything works.

So just a new diode (the one I was using was my roomate's) and I'll be good to go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts