Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is a 2004 600RR w/ 5000 miles. Battery is fully charged.

I rode about 25 miles today, stopped at a gas station and filled up. I pushed the starter and the starter barely turned and would not start the bike. I pushed the bike to the side and noticed that everytime I pushed the starter button, the dash went out like the power was getting cut out. Finally it got to the point where you can tell there was no power going to the starter. Anyway, I rolled down a hill to bump start it and rode 25 miles back home. I pulled into the garage, shut the bike off, and immediately pushed the starter button, no power at all going to the starter.

Well it's been about an hour later and the bike has cooled off, I pushed the starter button and the bike started right up.

What do you think is the culprit here? Obviously it is heat related as the bike shows no symptoms when cool.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I have the same bike and the same problem. Charge the battery. The voltage is probably @ 12.6v which is too low. Go buy a 1amp trickle charger with a built in regulator so it won't overcharge the battery if you leave it on overnight. If you charge the battery every 3-4 months you won't have to worry about it cranking when it's hot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What u have is a malfunctioning Rectifier/Regulator..I had the same problem with my '03 and I had it replaced under warranty... It can become a pain in the tootsy..

·
I've Got A Fever
1,478 Posts
Oilhead, did you find the culprit?

I've had this happen to me twice in the last week ('04 with about 8500 miles). Never had a problem in the past 3 seasons I've had it until now. The second time was last night....I pulled in for some gas after about 30 min of riding, shut the bike off, filled up, pushed the starter and the dash went blank and it proceeded to click from the battery area. I managed to get a stranger to give me a jump. Is it the battery or the rectifier? Both times have been after shutting the bike off during a ride.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
RR said:

I've had this happen to me twice in the last week ('04 with about 8500 miles). Never had a problem in the past 3 seasons I've had it until now. The second time was last night....I pulled in for some gas after about 30 min of riding, shut the bike off, filled up, pushed the starter and the dash went blank and it proceeded to click from the battery area. I managed to get a stranger to give me a jump. Is it the battery or the rectifier? Both times have been after shutting the bike off during a ride.
If the battery is still good you just need to charge it. Have you read the voltage on the battery?

G

·
RR said:

03-04 had r/r problems yes. click click sounds is the solenoid actuating due to low amperage. when the screen on the dash goes blank it means you've run out of juice. you'll notice your clock is reset as well. An open battery is one that shows normal voltage but is unable to give large amounts of amperage on demand. this is caused by a few problems, but most often a broken connection inside the battery. this is not repairable by any means, and the battery MUST be replaced.

You're battery IS dead, no doubt about it. weather or not that was the effect of a faulty R/R or just a battery fault as open batteries will still read good voltage, but apply a load to it and it's dead.

happens a lot in motorcycles. they get bounced around a lot more than cars do. batteries fail. i suggest finding one of those optima cylinder cell batteries (i think they exist for bikes). might be pricy, but it'll never fail internally.

**edit**
Can't find um... you'd think some one be on that sh!t?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had the same exact problem, I replaced the regulator/rectifier with one from an 05, which has a heat shield. no problems since then

·
Registered
80 Posts
NewRedRider said:
I have the same bike and the same problem. Charge the battery. The voltage is probably @ 12.6v which is too low. Go buy a 1amp trickle charger with a built in regulator so it won't overcharge the battery if you leave it on overnight. If you charge the battery every 3-4 months you won't have to worry about it cranking when it's hot.
I just did got one 20 bux at autozone, infact im going to go plug her in right now and go to bed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts