Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little FYI to all you guys... this is really BS!!! Sat. night I was finishing up getting the bike ready for the track and remembered I wanted to put a StreetKnights sticker on both sides of my swingarm so they could be seen in the pictures that the photograhers were taking. Well I placed a sticker on and as I peeled the backing (which is low-tack backing) off the sticker not only didn't stick but it pulled all the finish off the swingarm!!! Even the letters didn't stick. I called Honda and they said there is only a 45 day warranty on paint and finish and that "yes the finish can come off with even the lightest tack tape." I put another sticker that had real adhesive over it and it can only be seen slightly on the edges. I'm not sure if I'll buff the finish off the entire swingarm, leave it with the decal, or paint it. Since my bike is slowly becoming a track-only bike I am not heartbroken over it.... just really disappointed. Lesson to be learned - No Stickers on the Swingarms!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is brushed aluminum but the outer shell (like where the Unit Pro-Link sticker is) is actually coated. Not sure if it is a paint or type of clear but underneath it is the bare brushed aluminum. Pretty crappy job actually. Looking at the swingarm you wouldn't even know it but it is coated. I can actually take my finger nail and scratch it off. Don't try it - just trust me :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'l post a pic when i get home... don't have my camera at work. like I said, I put my Vortex sticker over it so you can only see it on the outer edges where the other sticker was a bit larger, but underneath is completely gone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Dude, the swingarm is brushed aluminum. Its not painted. And even if it were, it wouldn't have been covered by the warranty because it resulted from something you did to the OEM equipment. And for the record why would a little scratch or whatever it is on the swingarm make you think this is a track only bike. I swear some of you guys make the most ridiculous little things into the biggest problems.

·
Registered
769 Posts
corner worker said:
Dude, the swingarm is brushed aluminum. Its not painted. And even if it were, it wouldn't have been covered by the warranty because it resulted from something you did to the OEM equipment. And for the record why would a little scratch or whatever it is on the swingarm make you think this is a track only bike. I swear some of you guys make the most ridiculous little things into the biggest problems.
Yeah! So there!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
corner worker said:
Where did you get that the scratch on the swing arm made it a track bike?? I'm just informing some people that something as light as masking tape can take the finish off the swingarm. I said i know its not painted - its COATED or TREATED if you will. I'm just giving a heads up. My bike is for the track and that is why i don't think it's sooo bad like many people who care about each little scratch. People take pride in their bikes and this would not make them very happy. I'm passing on some info. Don't get your panties in a bunch. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
:eek: Ummmm....I really can't believe sometimes the stuff I read...don't really know why I do... :bitchslap: to myself!!!

The "swinging arm" is metal..aluminum alloy and braced internally. I heated and peeled and used a blade and goo gone to make my sh*t look tight this weekend!!

I had a R1 with the same type thing...there is no coating or paint or anything like that on there...I hope? I would love to see pics. since Honda is so perfect...and with all the cheap plastic fasteners on this bike.....no way it was clear coated!!!

Sorry big guy...stickers are cool anyhoo!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you guys had a problem getting the factory stickers off of the swingarm too? I've been planning on heating them up and peeling them off, but was curious now that I've seen this.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I also used heat and GooGone and had no problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did the heat come from a blowdryer? Also, how much did it peel off before you used the googone?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts