Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was on the 10 east heading from LA to pomona when a ninja--- didnt really know what year--- flies by me on the carpool and my first instinct ofcourse was punch the gas.... fly past um at 150+ and as i slow down i feel this jerk come from my front wheel that goes from a one in power to a damn 10....... after i accept the fact that i was about to go down and sh*t myself suddenly it stops.... speed limit all the way home... what to do?

·
Registered
194 Posts
From what I have heard and read up on (Im no pro so correct me if Im wrong), stay loose and let the bike correct itself. Being tense on the bars will only amplify the response. Glad to hear you didnt go down.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's to my understanding that a tank slapper happens when the front tire comes down off center.. Especially at higher speeds.
I've had a few people tell me that you should do the exact opposite of what your instincts tell you and gas it. I guess taking the weight off the front and making it lighter makes it stop.

I've been lucky so far, I haven't experienced one yet.

On a side note, I used to ride the 10 all the time. I used to go from Fontana to Diamond Bar for work too. Definitely not a good freeway. Your front end probably popped up after hitting a pot hole or something and came back down off center.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had one the other day on the back way home, I just rolled off the throttle a little and did not try to fight it. When the slaping started to slow I eased on the back break.
Thing with fighting it you are delayed, so by the time you turn to counter it needs to be turned the other way. Why give it gas yes it does take wight of the front tire but will make the crash a faster one.
One thing that does help is a streering damper.

Oh and when you get home change you underwear!!!!

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
The throttle needs to stay open, it removes weight from the front and combined with relaxed grip (easier said than done :) ) lets the front balance itself. That's the theory. Fortunately, I haven't experienced a wild one yet.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Hey Simon, i haven't experienced this either but i am commenting on your signature. I just bought a bone stock 04 with 11xxx miles for the same price which is about 1300 below book value. just thought i would add my 2 cents. glad you didn't go down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow I never knew about tank slappers and now I'm a bit concerned. Maybe I have experienced one and not known. However by the sounds of things I don't want to experience another one.
I know how to deal with one, however I might not know when one happens to use my newly learnt skills.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow I never knew about tank slappers and now I'm a bit concerned. Maybe I have experienced one and not known. However by the sounds of things I don't want to experience another one.
I know how to deal with one, however I might not know when one happens to use my newly learnt skills.
This isn't something you can be unsure you have or haven't had. If you did one you would know right away why it's called a "tank slapper" and why you don't ever want to get in that situation. Seeing as you're so new you don't know what one is, you probably haven't ever gotten into that situation. It happens when the front wheel comes down cocked off center.

·
Registered
45 Posts
so i was on the 10 east heading from LA to pomona when a ninja--- didnt really know what year--- flies by me on the carpool and my first instinct ofcourse was punch the gas.... fly past um at 150+ and as i slow down i feel this jerk come from my front wheel that goes from a one in power to a damn 10....... after i accept the fact that i was about to go down and sh*t myself suddenly it stops.... speed limit all the way home... what to do?
lol i remember my frist tank slapper!

thats a scary feeling, that speed wabble is a whore. it'll get your ass killed!! glad you didnt go down though!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does the electronic stabiliser work on the newest CBR in these cases?
Have a 2008 with the HESD, and it its amazing! I have had 2 tank slappers, one when I first got the bike that was not to bad and one more. The second one was coming out of a slow corner, I hammered on it the front wheel came up a touch and then the slapping started. It was very violent but only lasted maybe 3 times, then the HESD kicked in and it just stopped, almost like someone hit a switch.
Matt

·
Registered
416 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts